Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Aug-2005, 14:30
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Clunky Down Shift

Just wondering what the most likely cause would be to a clunky down shift, it's gradually got worse over time and I have also noticed that its harder to find neutral when on a stand still.

If I flick it into neutral whilst moving (ie. Pulling up to a halt) but if I'm stationary it's a bit awkward.

I'm only really bringing this up as I found the Duke to have the smoothest box of all my bikes in so much you hardly even notice your changing, now though it changes down with a clunk.

Thanks
Old 25-Aug-2005, 14:33
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
clutch could be on the way out ?
Old 25-Aug-2005, 14:38
500SD

Well I don't think it is because I only just stripped it and cleaned it a couple of weeks ago and I'm no expert but it looked meaty enough to me.

And before I cleaned it, it was graunching and causing it to stall when pulling away, now it doesn't slip one bit.

16 bloody plates mind!!! I wasn't expecting that many to come out

The only thing I wonder about is the clutch fluid as the fluid in the resivoir looks a totally different colour to the brake fluid in the resivoir.

Is this normal? I thought they used the same stuff??

In the clutch resivoir its more of a darker blacky colour??

[Edited on 25-8-2005 by 748IOM]
Old 25-Aug-2005, 14:53
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
It's darker because you're getting grease and grime in there from the clutch slave at the sprocket, quite common.

Could be air in the system as you're not pushing the pushrod out far enough to disengage the plates, could be your basket is buggered and the plates are catching through wear. Try moving the clutch span out and seeing if that helps, not a solution, might just prove something though
Old 25-Aug-2005, 14:59
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Sounds to me as if the clutch just needs bleeding.

My bike is doing this at the moment. It's losing clutch fluid from somewhere - buggered if I can find out where though and it needs bleeding every week.

The first signs that the clutch isn't disengaging completely and needs bleeding through are exactly as you describe.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 16:37
Big Twin

Check your chain tension/overall condition also.

All my dukes have been a bit clunky when I first got them, but either fitting a new chain or adjusting it to the correct tension really helped in finding gears/neutral etc.

Edited to add: I have just read your reply on the thread about my chain letting go...I definately recommend you take a look at your chain now !!

[Edited on 25-8-2005 by Harv748]
Old 25-Aug-2005, 17:08
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748
I definately recommend you take a look at your chain now !!
[Edited on 25-8-2005 by Harv748]

what ever do you mean?

It could just be the tension I know as I've suffered this on other bikes, I was just bothered about the clutch fluid reservoir, that along with hearing from a friend with an RSVR who has to keep bleeding his which is aparently a fault on the RSV's.

Does Ducati have a similar problem or are the slave cylinders ok on these?
Old 25-Aug-2005, 17:50
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

The clutch fluid will slowly turn black. It's particles from the slave seal material which causes it. Over the winter the blackness in my SS settled to the bottom of the reservoir. I then drained the reservoir, cleaned it out and changed the fluid. The blackness won't do any harm in itself but it's a good idea to change the fluid every year anyway.
As Jools says it sounds like your clutch needs bleeding. Most likely failure point is the slave cylinder seal letting air in. If you unbolt the slave you may also see evidence of it (the fluid) leaking out. Look for oiliness (sp?) behind the slave in the sprocket area.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 17:50
Big Twin

It is a known thing on Dukes...do a search and you will find loads of stuff on it.

But its never been an issue on either of mine...my clutch fluid is always as clear as the brake fluid...others say theres goes dark after only a few hundred miles?
Old 25-Aug-2005, 19:19
500SD

Mine's been dark since I got it and so thought nothing of it until the gearbox got a little clunky the other day.

I'll have a look at both those things over the weekend.

Thanks