Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-May-2005, 12:57
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Battery Problems

Just a thought. Do we have to use Gel Batteries on our Ducatis? Is there a practical alternative?
Old 03-May-2005, 12:58
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Red One
What 2 ZX10r might be worth a think. Ha Ha

Yeh but the ZX10R will work !!!!

A bird in the hand.......................

Tim
Old 03-May-2005, 13:35
Mille

Sorry to hear about your problems but without tempting fate my 999r has been faultless from the day i got it.I have now covered some 1500 miles 300 of which was over this weekend and would have to say having owned an sps,standard 999 and a 749r that the 999r is without doubt the best of the lot.However if i was suffering the same problems as you i would feel some what different.
Assuming the bike is still under warranty is it worth trying another dealer (wait for the fireworks) i have lots of confidence in Tony Dawson of Ducati Wolverhampton just a thought.
I know it must really pi$$ you off but hang in there as they really are fatastic bikes to ride.
Old 03-May-2005, 15:09
Montjuic

I'm not the most mechanical person in the world, but what you've described sounds exactly like when my ECU failed. The dealer assumed it was a dead battery, because it would seemingly attempt to start and then die.
Old 03-May-2005, 15:12
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
truly gutted for you.
doesn't look to good when Ducati's flag ship bike is in such an unprepared state,
I think they should be looking to reimburse you for you're loses due to there faulty machinery
Old 03-May-2005, 16:01
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by keefer
truly gutted for you.
doesn't look to good when Ducati's flag ship bike is in such an unprepared state,
I think they should be looking to reimburse you for you're loses due to there faulty machinery

Surely this many faults in a bike thats hardly been used is unacceptable. I too have utmost faith in JHP, but theres only so much they can do. If it keeps failing again and again, albeit little niggly things, I reckon its Ducati UK's duty to look at it, and perhaps even give you a new one. Loads of things about the Sales of Goods Act, and fit for the purpose spring to mind...
Old 03-May-2005, 17:00
everton

As with others expressing sympathy, I'm very sorry to hear about your problems.

They say you should never buy mark 1 of anything but I have one of the original 999Rs purchased in Sept 2003. I know of two others with this model - AndyB & Chillo.

I have to say (touch wood) it has been pretty much faultless.

The only niggle (singular) I had is cutting out - sorted when the 57MM termig system was fitted.

The bike has done almost 4500 miles now, several track days and plenty of long runs. It doesn't look its best due to it being covered in crap from our April showers and my little off into the gravel at Silverstone last year.

Still, I'll soon have it cleaned up and ready for the BMF!

Old 03-May-2005, 19:49
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Hmm, i have to say ive had none of these problems either. That said at my 12 month service at JHP, i was told my original battery was u/s, cant say i had noticed, so they fitted a new one.
Old 03-May-2005, 20:00
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Well just got back from a long long day over at JHP, I know I have said this before, and I know I will say it again, but in my book they are second to non when it comes to customer service.

Ken greeted me and was a virtual shoulder to cry on, before long the bike was out and in the workshop, I didn't really expect them to drop tools and quickly gather round to investigate. I had already removed said duff battery which more more balloon shaped than square as one would expect they had never seen anything like it, least of all from the newer models.

Rick pulled out all of the stops and spent a good few hours checking everything bit by bit and explaining what should or shouldn't be happening. New battery in and she started first time but they were still stumped all of the voltages ran true at idle and at high rpm, cold or hot, fans on or off everything seemed fine. Anyways they decided to swap the rectifier as it did appear to be getting hot (hotter than normal ???) so no real answer to the mystery, could it be my optimate? could it of been a duff battery or rectifier? who knows...

All in all though I had a good day with the gang and even though I rushed in and felt really guilty for jumping the queue they never batted an eyelid, I cannot recommend them enough.

Even bumped into Butch890 (Grahame) and had a good natter with him, all apart from he thought I'd be much older !!!

So a happier bunny but still no track day, it rained in the afternoon though so not too bad I guess, no doubt Lily will fill in the blanks there.

Cheers JHP ...............................................(ag ain)

[Edited on 3-5-2005 by JPM]
Old 03-May-2005, 20:24
Big Twin

Just been talking to louigimoto, and he was saying he's got some really good batteries, not gel type but the same size, and he reckons the starting amperage is much higher than the stock Ducati ones. Says they fire up his race bikes no trouble at all. Reckon I'll get one myself in the autumn.

You can catch him (sometimes! ) on 0777 5557797.

Swollen battery casing sounds like a clapped rectifier to me, though.