Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Aug-2005, 22:56
Big Twin

Thats was close...

...after hearing stories of other having the same problem at one time or another over the years...it finally happened to me...the chain let go!!!

Luckly I was only doing about 40-50 on a local road, but was only in my armoured paddock jacket having just been to the gym and on my way to the Foxes Diner meet.

Fortunately, the chain just ejected itself clean out the back of the bike. Initially I thought the bike had jumped out of gear, as the engine revs suddenly jumped up and the bike lost drive. Carefully I tried to knick it up back into gear...but nothing...now I start getting images of the gearbox slowly eating itself from the inside, so I keep the clutch pulled in a coast to a stop. I try to bang the gear lever back through to 1st...and no problem, try to pull away...and still no drive!!!

Quick glance down to the left rear of the bike...that don't look right

Look back up the road and see my chain lying in the middle of the road!

Very very lucky I guess having seen many reports of serious damage to the crackcases, swingarms etc due to a flayling chain. As for why it failed? I'm going to go back tomorrow to try and find it and look for answers! It was tensioned correctly, is regularly cleaned (WD40 + light oil on the o'rings) and inspected for any obvious signs of damage??? It was looking a little on the tired side, with some surface discolouration, but was by no means in need of replacement as far as I could tell.

One nice thing, was during the first 10 mnutes of me pushing my bike to the nearest phone box, 6 (six) people stopped and asked if I needed help. Ahhhhh, the draw of a nice shiney Ducati!!

The last guy actually lived backing onto the road, and he was out cleaning one of his many bikes when he heard me coming by and said that he was enjoying the sound of the termis approaching from afar when it sounded like either my chain had come off or I had! He decided to jump in his car and drive around to make sure all was OK. I pushed the bike to his house, he gave me a lift home (about 10 miles away), and I returned with my trailer to collect the stranded beast.

I guess its an excuse to fit a nice new bling bling chain...now where's that credit card!
Old 15-Aug-2005, 23:00
Dibble

www.bandcexpress.co.uk

you'll need that, get a Tsubaki Sigma R and a set of sprockets.

glad you are ok
Old 15-Aug-2005, 23:20
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
So that explains your no show at the cafe.
Lucky escape there Harv, thankfully you and the bike still intact, hope you get it sorted soon, were you planing on riding it to Popham for the Megameet.
Old 15-Aug-2005, 23:27
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
were you planing on riding it to Popham for the Megameet.

Well...I've got a wedding to attend over Sat/Sunday morning, so it depends on when I get back and how I'm feeling

But I do aim to ride down..but it will be later in the day if anything. I'll be ordering a new chain tomorrow...which reminds me...can I borrow your chain riveting tool (again) please!!!
Old 16-Aug-2005, 00:33
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Crikey harv...close shave mate..glad you and the bike are OK..

Nat
Old 16-Aug-2005, 00:36
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748
...after hearing stories of other having the same problem at one time or another over the years...it finally happened to me...the chain let go!!!

Luckly I was only doing about 40-50 on a local road, but was only in my armoured paddock jacket having just been to the gym and on my way to the Foxes Diner meet.

Fortunately, the chain just ejected itself clean out the back of the bike. Initially I thought the bike had jumped out of gear, as the engine revs suddenly jumped up and the bike lost drive. Carefully I tried to knick it up back into gear...but nothing...now I start getting images of the gearbox slowly eating itself from the inside, so I keep the clutch pulled in a coast to a stop. I try to bang the gear lever back through to 1st...and no problem, try to pull away...and still no drive!!!

Quick glance down to the left rear of the bike...that don't look right

Look back up the road and see my chain lying in the middle of the road!

Very very lucky I guess having seen many reports of serious damage to the crackcases, swingarms etc due to a flayling chain. As for why it failed? I'm going to go back tomorrow to try and find it and look for answers! It was tensioned correctly, is regularly cleaned (WD40 + light oil on the o'rings) and inspected for any obvious signs of damage??? It was looking a little on the tired side, with some surface discolouration, but was by no means in need of replacement as far as I could tell.

One nice thing, was during the first 10 mnutes of me pushing my bike to the nearest phone box, 6 (six) people stopped and asked if I needed help. Ahhhhh, the draw of a nice shiney Ducati!!

The last guy actually lived backing onto the road, and he was out cleaning one of his many bikes when he heard me coming by and said that he was enjoying the sound of the termis approaching from afar when it sounded like either my chain had come off or I had! He decided to jump in his car and drive around to make sure all was OK. I pushed the bike to his house, he gave me a lift home (about 10 miles away), and I returned with my trailer to collect the stranded beast.

I guess its an excuse to fit a nice new bling bling chain...now where's that credit card!

Lucky sod.

MIne went through crankcase

What make of chain was It.

u2u me with makers name if you don't want to put it on the board.

Old 16-Aug-2005, 00:47
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Harv i'm at work during the day tomorrow and Wednesday then in the evening on Thursday and Friday, earlier at Fox's we were talking about meeting up at the Riverside cafe at Benson Wednesday evening. I could take the chain tool there or maybe arrange for you to pick it up Thursday or Friday daytime.

Kev
Old 16-Aug-2005, 09:09
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Bad/good luck Harvey,

There is a little Ducati widget that fits under the drive sprocket cover to protect the crank cases in the event of chain failure - a little bit of peace of mind for next time. Costs about £25.

I've had 1 on order for about 6 weeks - summer time in Italy.

I'll look up the part number and post it.

After your experience I can see a run on these parts happening.

Spinoli
Old 16-Aug-2005, 10:12
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by spinoli1
There is a little Ducati widget that fits under the drive sprocket cover to protect the crank cases in the event of chain failure - a little bit of peace of mind for next time. Costs about £25.

Yeah...I've seen those before...look like I may be after one too now!

Kev, I can cycle over to Benson on Wednesday if thats a goer?
Old 16-Aug-2005, 10:15
Big Twin

Harv, you lucky, lucky man....

BTW, the chainguard crankcase protector widget thing will stay on permanent back order as it's a discontinued item
I've tried 3 different dealers with the same result.

If anyone has one we could copy it. otherwise It's one of my winter "todo" tasks to make one.

[Edited on 16-8-2005 by Mr_S]