Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Aug-2005, 10:01
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
996 front wheel in a Monster 620

Quick question ... Can I take the front wheel out of my 996, or even better, my 998R (it's lighter ) and whack it straight into my 2003 Monster 620?

Skids? Anyone?
Old 18-Aug-2005, 10:31
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
why not swap the whole front end over? Presume it's just a case of taking off the top yoke, slacking off the clip ons (for clearance past the fairing) and then dropping the rest down?
Only problem I see is having to hold up the front of the bikes while they are forkless.
Old 18-Aug-2005, 10:31
Big Twin

Did I forget to mention that I am mechanically incompetent as well?
Old 18-Aug-2005, 10:37
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by chicken
why not swap the whole front end over? Presume it's just a case of taking off the top yoke, slacking off the clip ons (for clearance past the fairing) and then dropping the rest down?
Only problem I see is having to hold up the front of the bikes while they are forkless.

Because that would be against the minitwins series regs. Fork internals are free, but forks aren't so I can't whack the ohlins off my 998R on my monster (despite the fact that the fork outer diameters are different and wouldn't fit in the yokes ...) otherwise I would!!! and I'd get p34 calipers into the bargain

So no, we're back to just the wheel and discs.

Old 18-Aug-2005, 11:02
Big Twin

I meant including the yokes.....

....but it's a moot point since you can't. You're probably better off leaving things as they are. Wouldn't want your competitors to have another reason for why you beat them!
Old 18-Aug-2005, 11:21
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Yes Tony you can use your front wheel fron the 996 and I would guess you could use the 998R one as well.
On Friday at Donny I had new tyres fitted to my spare 600SS wheel not giving a thought to me now having 2002 Monster 620 forks fitted.
Thankfully a easy solution was at hand as I had a 996 5 spoke Marchessini in the van with a wet on, so I knoked the Bearings and spacer out of that and put them into the 600SS wheel. So they are all pretty much interchangeable, also my M620 currently has a set of 620 Sport forks in with a 916 wheel fitted.
Most of the discs can also be used except for the different off set ones that come with some of the models with Ohlins forks, like the 748R not sue about your 998 on this point

Kev
Old 18-Aug-2005, 11:33
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Yes Tony you can use your front wheel fron the 996 and I would guess you could use the 998R one as well.
On Friday at Donny I had new tyres fitted to my spare 600SS wheel not giving a thought to me now having 2002 Monster 620 forks fitted.
Thankfully a easy solution was at hand as I had a 996 5 spoke Marchessini in the van with a wet on, so I knoked the Bearings and spacer out of that and put them into the 600SS wheel. So they are all pretty much interchangeable, also my M620 currently has a set of 620 Sport forks in with a 916 wheel fitted.
Most of the discs can also be used except for the different off set ones that come with some of the models with Ohlins forks, like the 748R not sue about your 998 on this point

Kev

Righto, so I'd be better off using the 996 wheel rather than the 998 ... just need to use the bearings and spacer off the monster front ...

Wicked ... BBC says light rain ... metcheck says no rain ... Rock on Metcheck!
Old 18-Aug-2005, 11:36
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
No TP the bearings and spacer off the 996 are the same as the 620 just different from the 600SS, so its just a straight wheel swap complete with discs
Old 18-Aug-2005, 11:40
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
No TP the bearings and spacer off the 996 are the same as the 620 just different from the 600SS, so its just a straight wheel swap complete with discs

Even better

Thank you for being lazy Ducati

I shall give a report on Monday about how she goes with SC1 front and SC2 rear around Cadwell.

Now where's my circuit guide ...
Old 18-Aug-2005, 11:40
MotoGP God

And thanks Skids - you're a freakin legend!!!