Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Aug-2006, 16:56
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
How do you find an oil leak?

As some of you will know, the Black Beast started to weep a little bit of oil into the belly pan at Cadwell yesterday. Have has a bloomin good look with a couple of halogen lights, but short of running it up to full chat in the workshop, can't for the life of me see where the oil is coming from.

I am also very aware how the airflow inside a race fairing can travel in all sorts of odd directions depostiing oil in the most unlikely places, so short of stripping the engine out and replacing all the seals, any one got a good tip here?

My next move is to have the oil cooler pressure tested.
Old 23-Aug-2006, 17:01
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
I doubt it will be oil cooler itself. One thing I have first hand experience with, though, is that the fittings on both sides of the oil cooler hoses have a finite life time. If the ones on the engine block are aluminium, I'd suspect those first. Believe me, it's not much fun high-siding out of Park corner.
Old 23-Aug-2006, 17:07
BSB Star

In which case I think I'll have that lot off tonight and get it checked out properly. Any idea where I can buy dye penetrant crack detection kits?
Old 23-Aug-2006, 17:13
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Oh How I bet you wish you were still in the RAF, Those kits were like free then....
Thanks for the set up help over the TD.
Glyn
PS messy but talc sticks very well to oil.....
Old 23-Aug-2006, 17:26
Ducati Corse

if just in the bellypan John, it could poss be seeping from the clutch push rod hole, as the O rings do wear.

Just a thought to look at it & rule it out?

AK had this on one of our bikes and it took him a while to find it. When the oil cooler line went on Tango, AK found it quite swiftly......as it let go in spectacular fashion at Brands early this year
Old 23-Aug-2006, 18:04
GTL

Finding oil leaks

Hi,
To find an oil leak first wash down the motor with GUNK or similar degreaser,then dry it off or leave to dry.
Then dust the motor all over (or in the suspect area) with Talcum powder,run the bike up or take it for a short run (in the dry) .Then inspect it again, then all should become clear.This works for seals,gasket faces and porous castings.A bit time consumeing but very cheap!

Steve
Old 23-Aug-2006, 18:08
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
It must be obvious if you persist. Strip all the bodywork off. Clean everything up, run the bike up and turn the halogens on a nd hunt it down. It must be there. It is oil? is it ? not another fluid? ie coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, Fork oil. Talcum does work quite well. I would not strip components untill i had finally given up.
I would run the bike stationary on a paddock stand. road wind can mislead you.
Old 24-Aug-2006, 09:16
Mille

My experince with car racing engines is that oil leaks can be the very devil to find because they usually only manifest themselves when the the engine is very hot, and the oil consequently is thin!

If it is a roadgoing bike I would run it hard to get it hot, clean it off and then set about it with talc/crack test developer on the paddock stand. Luckily the oil does retain its heat so you can do that and still have hot oil.

I have a leak on a Vauxhall racing engine at present, which I cannot find in the garage, but sure enough it re appears when used on the track!

Good luck!

Douglas
Old 24-Aug-2006, 10:11
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
My experince with car racing engines is that oil leaks can be the very devil to find because they usually only manifest themselves when the the engine is very hot, and the oil consequently is thin!

If it is a roadgoing bike I would run it hard to get it hot, clean it off and then set about it with talc/crack test developer on the paddock stand. Luckily the oil does retain its heat so you can do that and still have hot oil.

I have a leak on a Vauxhall racing engine at present, which I cannot find in the garage, but sure enough it re appears when used on the track!

Good luck!

Douglas

All of the above. I've looked hard for it, Nelly has looked hard for it, and no matter how hot I get the motor on the stand, it doesn't appear. I do have one problem in that as it's a race engine there is no fan on the rad, so have to resort to a large room fan to try to keep the water temp within limits whilst still trying to get the oil hot. If I take it on track, the airflow spreads the stuff all over the bottom of the engine, so it's hard to determine the source. Unfortunately it's not as obvious as it would appear!

I've only got one more day to do before the motor comes out for rebuild, but it's frustrating the heck of me at the moment.
Old 24-Aug-2006, 12:44
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Leaking Breather pipe or breather tank??

Ray.