Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 13-Nov-2005, 15:44
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

583 riders please read & comment

Right then folks, it would appear that there could be an opening for me to ride in DD next year but in Class B.

I cannot afford a 620 (see previous thread).

Now, I don't want to **** on anyone's chips, or have people upset coz "Dom is too experienced" etc etc

So, I am asking for the 583 riders opinions on this, as it will only affect you (or maybe not as my vast experience showed this season).

Basically, I have to let the RC know if I would like to be put forward to race in 583, and they will have the final say, but as I wouldn't be racing against them, I wanted your approval first.

I don't want people to say "Yeah, come and do 583" and then get arsey if I do well. So be honest!!

I'll happily do CB500 without upsetting any 'novices' and with no hard feelings.
Old 13-Nov-2005, 16:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Well, I'll vote for you, and I *know* you'll whup *my* arse in every race.
Bring it on

(Old mouthy git sticking up for young mouthy git)
Old 13-Nov-2005, 16:48
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Dom its a difficult line this one

eligiblity is novice or must have competed 583 in at least 2 races this year, so the current rules read.
This would entitle Andy J to ride in the class, the way those rules are worded, as he raced snot as a 583 for both the races at the first meeting. wasnt yours a 675 then 620?

However, we (Andy, ck & i) feel that is unfair to current competitors in that class to have someone with lots of race experience (albeit very rusty from quite a while ago), so Andy is staying 620 for next season.

Will call my son-in-law paul who is riding snot in583 next year to see what he thinks as a complet rookie rider in the 583 class

Alan

[Edited on 13-11-2005 by CK and AK]
Old 13-Nov-2005, 16:49
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Dom it would be great to see you on a 583, I would expect you, Paul P and Phil out of those I knowto set the bench mark for me to aim at, bit like this year really.
Geoffs bench mark was a bit unrealistic for me on a 583 with him on a 620, I know there are riders out there that would have gone faster than me on a 583 so as I'm in it to improve my riding it will help to have a few faster riders ahead of me out on track, especially if there is room on the grid.

Kev
Old 13-Nov-2005, 17:10
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Dom it would be great to see you on a 583, I would expect you, Paul P and Phil out of those I knowto set the bench mark for me to aim at, bit like this year really.
Geoffs bench mark was a bit unrealistic for me on a 583 with him on a 620, I know there are riders out there that would have gone faster than me on a 583 so as I'm in it to improve my riding it will help to have a few faster riders ahead of me out on track, especially if there is room on the grid.

Kev

Well said. I agree completely.
Old 13-Nov-2005, 17:13
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
I think there are a few others that would like to have raced 583 next year as well. I know I would have been happier spending £1500 on a bike and not considerably more than that but the rules are set to encourage novices and new racers into the 583 class. So any of us with a bit of race experience have to accept the rules for what they are.

As I'm not a 583 rider I can add my brothers opinion and he would be happier racing as a complete novice and not against experienced racers.
Old 13-Nov-2005, 17:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by couchcommando
I think there are a few others that would like to have raced 583 next year as well. I know I would have been happier spending £1500 on a bike and not considerably more than that but the rules are set to encourage novices and new racers into the 583 class. So any of us with a bit of race experience have to accept the rules for what they are.

As I'm not a 583 rider I can add my brothers opinion and he would be happier racing as a complete novice and not against experienced racers.

The series was set up to encourage DSC members to experience racing, lets not forget this point and the likes of Lin to name but one who showed the way by lining up on her 583 on the same grid as Geoff and the DLS guys to name just a few on there sorted 620s.
If we went on the entry requirements that were decided upon at this years meeting following the AGM then I doubt we would have enough for two grids.
I may not be Dom's biggest fan but I was impressed by his attitude this year and his willingness to intergrate into the DSC membership and I would rather he put another bike on one of our grids than a non DSC grid.

Kev
Old 13-Nov-2005, 18:17
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by phil_h
Well, I'll vote for you, and I *know* you'll whup *my* arse in every race.
Bring it on

(Old mouthy git sticking up for young mouthy git)

Are you going to make up you mind which bloody class you're in then?
Old 13-Nov-2005, 18:29
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids

The series was set up to encourage DSC members to experience racing, lets not forget this point and the likes of Lin to name but one who showed the way by lining up on her 583 on the same grid as Geoff and the DLS guys to name just a few on there sorted 620s.
If we went on the entry requirements that were decided upon at this years meeting following the AGM then I doubt we would have enough for two grids.
I may not be Dom's biggest fan but I was impressed by his attitude this year and his willingness to intergrate into the DSC membership and I would rather he put another bike on one of our grids than a non DSC grid.

Kev

good p o v Kev

C

(point of view:P )
Old 13-Nov-2005, 18:51
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I'm not Valentino Rossi you know...

The 'race experience' I have doesn't count for very much in my opinion. Even I have found that out and I'm sure Kev (my biggest fan really) would agree - I think the 'modern' addiction of trackdays has led to everyone being fast!

I think I am a victim of a lot of hype and spin prior to this season, and whilst I am not totally innocent of being 'over confident' of my ability, I have been perceived as some top British racer who's been racing non-stop for 8 years.

I have done 25 race meetings EVER before this year (20 of which were in '97, '98 & '99). That's over 6 years ago!!

I finished 14th in the Desmo Due championship this year, and my best result was 10th!! (before the Tango Queen).

Now, nobody has a problem with Skids racing in 583, and he's vastly more experienced than me. Fil2 comprehensively kicked my arse this year and finished 3rd overall, but nobody is worried about that. Paul Payne has raced before (not much I'll agree), and even Phil_h has raced classics for a bit.

All the 'novices' have done 11 DD races this year (more if you did SoT etc) and prior to 2005 I had done 36 actual races (CB500 were only 1 per weekend) at 25 race meetings.

Some people have done more than 36 trackdays, which is massively more tracktime than even I've had!!

I haven't ridden on the road since August 2003 when I had a ZX7R for 2 months, and before that my previous road bike was a 900SS which I sold in 1997 to go racing - so I don't even ride a bike on the road and haven't done for virtually 8 years.

I have a national race licence purely because I wanted to do the TT back in 1998 - which I never did.

Can someone tell me how experienced you have to be before you are too experienced for Desmo Due?

Or if I trundled around at the back - would anyone care less? I don't think they would.

I think we're getting close to becoming elitist rather than keeping focus on the original idea - which was for DSC members to race in their own series - wasn't it?

I'm a DSC member, I'm fairly active on the forum and would be more active within DSC if I could afford a road bike and attend ride-outs and shows etc - but because I don't have plenty of cash to buy a 620, I may be forced to leave the championship I supported all year, and go race elsewhere.
Closed Thread