Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Oct-2005, 23:19
Montjuic

learning to ride fast, but safely

This might be a daft question.. but here goes...

I've had my ST2 for a year now.. thanks to you guys for your knowledge and encouragement before buying it. I love it and have done about 3500 miles on her over that year.

However.. I still consider myself to be a novice rider and still don't have the confidence to lean the bike too much or taking corners at speed. The bike is plenty capable, its my riding that worries me. It is probably just a confidence thing as I've not had any incidents yet. In a straight line I've had it up to 120mph (on an empty road!), but come to a corner and I'm much more sedate.

Do you know of anywhere (or anyone!) that can teach me how to ride this amazing bike properly? I'm not thinking of taking her to some kind of track day and be intimidated by more experienced riders, but somewhere where I can be taught how to ride confidently at speed, but safely within the limits of the bike and myself.

I do admire other riders who seem to lean the bikes into fast corners and talk with joy of riding twisty country roads. I'd like to do that too...

Any help or ideas??
Old 28-Oct-2005, 23:28
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
although it is based on track, i would recomend california superbike school. they specifically teach cornering and use a structured approach that i think would be ideal. as it is a school and not a track day they have strict rules about passing and spilt people into different groups depending on ability.

[Edited on 28-10-2005 by electricsheep]
Old 28-Oct-2005, 23:38
Mille

Mood: counting
do a track day in the novice group then its the best place to practice
err try a dsc trackday ?
Old 29-Oct-2005, 00:43
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
If you're happy to learn for yourself then I think a trackday is the way to go. You definately won't be intimidated in the novice group and it's great for cornering cos you get to do a series of different types of bends over and over again.

If you want instruction for the road by a very experienced rider then try a Bikesafe course. If you don't know what this is about, it's run by police riders in their spare time, they teach you the best route through a turn and also to carry some decent 'progress' through the bends. Have a looky here: http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/
Old 29-Oct-2005, 02:12
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
come out with the bhc massive
worked for me
st2 an all, quickest bike ducati ever made
Old 29-Oct-2005, 07:43
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyn
come out with the bhc massive
worked for me
st2 an all, quickest bike ducati ever made
He's right you know!
Old 29-Oct-2005, 10:20
Montjuic

What is the bhc? I don't want to kill myself, but I do want to learn to ride! The Police course sounds good, but won't that trying to discourage me to ride quickly round corners??

I think Ideally I am looking for somewhere where someone can show me what to do and progressively take me up on my confidence. I've never done a track day.. but my impression is that they are a bit of a free for all. Isn't that the case then? I don't want to be a d*ck and take a corner wrong and take out myself and other people!

Oh.. the ST2 is flipping quick. I had a new chain and sprockets fitted at the last service. I can't remember which way round, but the sprockets are slightly smaller/bigger on the front and back.. handling and acceleration is much improved. It goes like a rocket!
Old 29-Oct-2005, 10:24
Montjuic

I looked at the bikesafe web site. The Kent Police courses are all done now for the year so I sent the form in to notify me of the 2006 dates. Thanks for the link.
Old 29-Oct-2005, 10:25
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
BHC: Bedfordshire/Herts & Cambs region

Come out with the Surrey bunch too sometime

trackdays? - DSC ones are really good - lots of consideration for others, and also instructors you can 'book' for guidance whilst on track
Old 29-Oct-2005, 10:42
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
You might get a lot from some 1-2-1 support from one of the more experienced locals (to you) on the board.

Someone to go out and take you through a few corners, (maybe even take you as a pillion) and show you how to relax, look ahead, understand he concepts of bend and hazard recognition, vanishing point etc. , countersteering, but above all relaxed riding.

Rgds Rob

p.s. did I mention relaxing....