Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Sep-2006, 11:19
Mille

Unhappy 4 cylinder thinking ????

Hope this one gets a few responses. I have owned singles, twins and a triple but never a 4 cylinder bike. In fact I have only blagged a test ride twice on 4-pots years ago. I sometimes feel I owe it to myself to experince ownership of one. Had my ST2 3 years now and its been a pleasure to own/ride.
Don't want to sell this bike and end up with something I dont like. If only I could "borrow" a 4-pot for a week it might settle the matter !!
Anybody out here got experiences of this subject ?? I think if I ride and dont like a 4-pot then a ST3 (wet clutch) would be my next move.
Old 12-Sep-2006, 12:37
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Should be easy peasy. Just pick out a bike you would like to test, roll up at the nearest yamhonsuziwaki dealer and blag a test ride.

You should know within a few miles whether you like it or not

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 12-Sep-2006, 12:39
Ducati Corse

Probably the best touring orientated '4 pot' has to be the pre 2001 injected Honda VFR800. Lacks the torque of your ST2 but has a good midrange and nice top end push. The handling is good, comfort excellent, and they will do very serious miles if maintained properly - try one.
Old 12-Sep-2006, 12:40
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
It depends also whether or not you compare like with like. There's little point in buying a current cutting-edge IL4 sportsbike and comparing it against the ST2, is there?
Old 12-Sep-2006, 12:44
500SD

If you're thinking about a sports-tourer, why not try a VFR Honda? All the V-twin type torque you're used to, but it still revs like a four. My VFR pulls from 2,500-12,000rpm without a glitch - in top gear! Fit a decent exhaust, and it'll even growl like a Ducati.

(Ha! Henners beat me to it, I see..)
Old 12-Sep-2006, 12:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
You could always hire one for a week:
http://bikesource.co.uk/index.php?viewCat=41

There's even one there that hires VFRs.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 12-Sep-2006, 12:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I would work out what you want the bike to do first. Do you still want a sports tourer, or something more focussed. Or maybe going in the other direction do you want more of a full dress tourer. Do you use it for commuting? Do you use it through winter? Maybe you'd be better off with shaft drive for big winter miles? If you still want a sports tourer, what end of the spectrum do you want to go for sports or tourer? How much luggage do you want to take with you? Solo or two-up?

That would be what I would want to work out, then find the best bike against those criteria whether it ended up being a Hyabusa or a Harley

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 12-Sep-2006, 12:53
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools
Should be easy peasy. Just pick out a bike you would like to test, roll up at the nearest yamhonsuziwaki dealer and blag a test ride.

You should know within a few miles whether you like it or not

I just don't think that's true. I'm running a loan bike at the moment, and it's the first IL4 I've ever ridden (I'd ridden a VFR before, though). It's a Honda Hornet, not the most exciting of bikes, but instructive as the same.

Seems to me that the engine characteristics of a Ducati (and I've owned 2 and 4 valvers) and an IL4 are *so* different that it'd take some time to *learn* an IL4 properly.

Personally, I think I've seen enough...
Old 12-Sep-2006, 13:04
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Exactly.

I've seen people ride a twin (mine) after a 4 and complain that the limiter comes in too soon and that it doesn'r rev enough when they should be using the grunt. 6k on a big twin is generally a lot faster than 6k on a similarly sized/power 4.

Then I've seen people ride a 4 and try accelerating past traffic with only 4-5k showing in top.

You have to ride to the strength of the different types. It's amazing how many people are unable to do this. Personally I much prefer the relatively low-revving grunty characteristics of my Ducatis - they suit my style of riding well. I hated the engine characteristics of my Fazer 600. My Triumph is a nice compromise though.
Old 12-Sep-2006, 13:55
Ducati Corse

Spot on twpd - I took a test ride on the GS for about an hour and couldn't get on with it. CK told me to take it for a proper run and 3 hours later I'd 'learnt' to ride it and was enjoying what it had to offer. Every engine has plus points and negatives, often enjoyment is dependent on the mood the rider is in which is why I have more than one bike so I can choose to suit how I'm feeling. If you're looking for one 'all rounder' you'll find the VFR is hard to beat. Viva la difference