Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 05-Feb-2009, 12:43   #1
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Schools Out
Just copied and pasted the list of schools closed in Oxfordshire off of the local radio website and into Excel to save counting them.
It currently stands at 299, must be some sort of record

I made the 20 mile journey into work today, got to the gate where I usually enter the site to find it closed, so had to drive to the Main gate to be told by the policeman that officially the site was closed and essential personnel only. (This mainly applies to the Government personnel and not to the Private Businesses like ours)
I made my way across site to find four cars in the carpark, mine made it 5 and the Plant manager later turned up after covering the 30 miles he needs to travel, so all in we have 6 people in out of a day staff of 15.

I find it strange how the guy that lives 2 miles from work and whos road where he lives I pass by the end of on my way in can't make to work.
Still thats the mentallity of some of the British workers these days and then they wonder why some firms would rather employ foreign labour.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 05-Feb-2009, 13:23   #2
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Not surprised that people can't be bothered to venture out to work, the nanny state says it's not "safe" to do so, so the drones obey.

'Bout time the driving test included a few sessions on a skid pan like it does in Finland.

Junior was well hacked off that his school was the only one that bothered to stay open on Monday up here, big up to the headmaster and his staff.

On the work front your story reminds me of a colleague who's house I had to drive by on the way to work many years ago. They wouldn't come in when we had some snow and I did have to chuckle to myself when they said to me "I suppose today will come out of my leave then" rather that expecting a freebie. Too right it will.

Ray.
Old 05-Feb-2009, 14:02   #3
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
It's not helped by the fact that the Company I work for have turned around and said that people who didn't go in on Monday AND Tuesday will get paid as normal and will not have to take it has holiday. This is a kick in the teeth for the people who did go in. Maybe Monday yes but Tuesday was fine in this area for travelling.
Old 05-Feb-2009, 14:30   #4
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col996s
It's not helped by the fact that the Company I work for have turned around and said that people who didn't go in on Monday AND Tuesday will get paid as normal and will not have to take it has holiday. This is a kick in the teeth for the people who did go in. Maybe Monday yes but Tuesday was fine in this area for travelling.

It will be the same here, those that didn't turn up will get the day off without having to book leave, while those of us that did make it in get nowt.
The longest journey in is made by the plant manager and he's in, the next longest journey is mine and I made it here before 8am.
I bet alot of dedicated staff working in the Emergency services such as Doctors and Nurses have made it in to work today.
A bit of snow and the county grinds to a halt

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 05-Feb-2009, 14:53   #5
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
Its been pretty tough in Nottingham today as even the main roads into town were bad first thing. Certainly most schools closed. The upside for me was a completely empty carpark when I got here so I had fun practicing handbrake turns. Would have been much more fun with a rear wheel drive though!

Keith
Old 05-Feb-2009, 15:46   #6
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
I've been in all week (here now). Have to. If i don't open i don't get money in the till and don't get paid,quite simple really. It's only 4 1/2 miles so could walk in if i really had to.
Old 05-Feb-2009, 16:27   #7
GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Not surprised that people can't be bothered to venture out to work, the nanny state says it's not "safe" to do so, so the drones obey.

'Bout time the driving test included a few sessions on a skid pan like it does in Finland.

Junior was well hacked off that his school was the only one that bothered to stay open on Monday up here, big up to the headmaster and his staff.

On the work front your story reminds me of a colleague who's house I had to drive by on the way to work many years ago. They wouldn't come in when we had some snow and I did have to chuckle to myself when they said to me "I suppose today will come out of my leave then" rather that expecting a freebie. Too right it will.

Ray.
Some years ago I was working with a Finnish colleague, and I mentioned that the Finnish weather seemed to me to be one of the reasons why a country with only about 5 million people produced most of the top rally drivers. He agreed. He also pointed out that every year in the winter when his lake froze over he went out to practise ice-driving again. So, just like the stay-at-homes here, it's an attitude thing too!
Old 05-Feb-2009, 17:03   #8
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
I do a 52 mile drive in, Monday was scary at times, but when I got there, there was almost no-one in. Tuesday was fine but some people were still missing.
This morning was just downright frightening - took me 20 minutes to get out of Tring, 3-point turns on snow covered roads aren't easy in a big car I found when the roads blocked at the end.... but I still made it in... and these people who live close-by can't get here... makes my blood boil....
Old 05-Feb-2009, 17:05   #9
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Most of our computing equipment is located in California, with very little stuff in London, so we are able to work remotely from home. The company is pretty good about us working from home, but it does mean that "not being able to get into the office" doesn't get you a free day off!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 05-Feb-2009, 17:23   #10
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Most of our computing equipment is located in California, with very little stuff in London, so we are able to work remotely from home. The company is pretty good about us working from home, but it does mean that "not being able to get into the office" doesn't get you a free day off!

My office is at home anyway so all that the weather has meant for me is 3 days sitting at my desk............Monday was hopeless-loads of roads closed, Tuesday was just sheet ice round here, I was out Wednesday, then woke this morning to 6-7 inches of snow-the wet stuff that packs into ice as soon as you look at it. It took Jo 35 minutes to travel the 2.6 miles from my house to hers this morning-and that was after I had dug her car out of the snow on the garage forecourt. All the local schools are closed, no buses, few trains, A14 blocked, M1 blocked, A1 Blocked-basically I am hemmed in-I would have loved to have gone to play in an empty car park-but there are none suitable round here.

I am supposed to be going down to Kent tomorrow-and guess what-they are forcasting another 6-8inches of snow tonight!

John

Growing old-disgracefully!

Postbit Selector