Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Oct-2011, 22:27

termis for 998

I'm thinking about putting termi end cans on my 998 bip (45mm diameter). Do i need to replace a chip or can I just slip them on? Are they loud enough to fail trackday noise tests?
Old 24-Oct-2011, 22:50
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
A lot depends on there condition, if they are like new as in they are well packed then the noise level shouldn't be to bad at most tracks, probably not at Castle Combe and could also be an issue at Brands GP. Also the state of them could effect the way it runs.
Either way replacing the ECU (No actual Chip to change) probably isn't the most effective way to go. These days there are a couple of places you can have the standard ECU dialed in or go for a powercommander and get that setup

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 25-Oct-2011, 13:28
Mille

these worked for me:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-BA...3&cmd=ViewItem

99% Termi/duke 45/50mm measurements are outside diameter, measure your internal bore before ordering!
Old 25-Oct-2011, 17:15
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
I swapped over the standard cans and ECU on our 998BP on Saturday, for a set of Termi's with the link pipe and the ECU that came with them (marked 996r). These came with the bike.

Now the increase in noise was very noticeable, but then again it is a much bigger tube with no baffles in there to slow down the gasses. I think the exit hole has gone up from 27mm to 50mm and there is a big difference in the link pipe internal dimensions.

I managed to ride it properly for the 1st time yesterday. The pull out on the open road is definately improved, I could feel the tyre moving about.

The mixture control however low down did give me a few problems in town traffic. I have to say that the standard set-up is a lot easier in traffic.

So I think we are going to need some dyno time and a power commander to smooth things out over the winter.
Old 26-Oct-2011, 10:55
Mille

mmm not sure you should be using a 996R ecu on the standard bip. the 998S I have had a 996R ecu for the 50/54mm Ti Termi's and the engine between the Bip and S are substantially different. The 996R/998S have the deep sump motors which rev bit higher then the std 998.

I doubt it will do any harm but dont over-rev the bip with the 996R ecu!
Old 26-Oct-2011, 12:24
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknash
mmm not sure you should be using a 996R ecu on the standard bip. the 998S I have had a 996R ecu for the 50/54mm Ti Termi's and the engine between the Bip and S are substantially different. The 996R/998S have the deep sump motors which rev bit higher then the std 998.

I doubt it will do any harm but dont over-rev the bip with the 996R ecu!
Good points, I will have to check with the previous owner re this 996R ECU! No chance of over reving in this weather!
Old 26-Oct-2011, 20:32
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Good points, I will have to check with the previous owner re this 996R ECU! No chance of over reving in this weather!

Its the ECU that came fitted to the bike as were the Termis, I just replaced them with standard Exhausts and a Brand New Standard ECU

I always thought over reving was controled by the throttle hand not the ECU, unless you suffer from a poor gear changing technique and miss gears

Also quite a few of the 998 ECU's have a 996R original sticker on as it was the base ECU, then they often came with an additional sticker that often comes off that related to the fueling/ignition program they had.

I don't think I have a 998 ECU with anything but 996R on the original white lable, My standard 998BP ECU has a 996R label on it, but has a silver label stuck over it refering to the 998BP
My 996R/998S DP ECU for 54mm Exhaust has the same white original 996R label on it but has a Ducati Motor label stuck over it stating its for a 54mm system

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 27-Oct-2011, 11:26
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
I have put a 6R on trackdays 50mm with no problems regarding noise levels.
Also a 998s with 54mm system at Brands and Cadwell no problem. The cored MV came in at 116DB that was a problem.
Another solution to noise that I came across was on the MV. As it came to 116DB I had to find a solution. There were 2 convex washers in the exhaust baffle packing that came out of the tips. These fitted snugly into the end cans and reduced the noise to 102 with no adverse performance. So if you know a metal basher.
As for ecu. Had 50s on my 996s and no adverse performance problems at all with the 996s ecu.
Old 27-Oct-2011, 11:53
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Its the ECU that came fitted to the bike as were the Termis, I just replaced them with standard Exhausts and a Brand New Standard ECU

I always thought over reving was controled by the throttle hand not the ECU, unless you suffer from a poor gear changing technique and miss gears

Also quite a few of the 998 ECU's have a 996R original sticker on as it was the base ECU, then they often came with an additional sticker that often comes off that related to the fueling/ignition program they had.

I don't think I have a 998 ECU with anything but 996R on the original white lable, My standard 998BP ECU has a 996R label on it, but has a silver label stuck over it refering to the 998BP
My 996R/998S DP ECU for 54mm Exhaust has the same white original 996R label on it but has a Ducati Motor label stuck over it stating its for a 54mm system

Kev,

Going to check this evening, but I might have put Ben's 998S std ECU on instead of the one I got with the BP!

That might explain all!
Old 29-Oct-2011, 13:20
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Kev,

Going to check this evening, but I might have put Ben's 998S std ECU on instead of the one I got with the BP!

That might explain all!

Ok sat down this morning and realised that I have fitted the std ECU off the 998S, rather than the one that came with the bike!

Both are marked 996r, but there are differences in other numbers, so probably safe to say that there are mapping differences. We are going to read both of them next week and compare.

A quick blat round the village and everything seems to be much better adjusted.