Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Apr-2005, 21:52
Mille

First ride (and help query) on my new 999s

Picked up (in a van) my new 999s (04 model) on Saturday. On Sunday went for a 250 mile round trip to Wales and loved it! The seat is a little harder than my old 900SS (i.e.) and, surprisingly, the suspension seems 'plusher'.

Just about to set off on Sunday morning and the bike struggled to start - put it down to the battery not being fully charged. However, throughout the day the battery seemed to struggle to turn the engine over. Voltmeter showed 14.5v when the engine was running but droped fairly quickly to 12.6 V when not. The bike did not always start first stab (poor technique?) and on those occasions the battery voltage would drop so low there wasn't enough power to turn the engine over - the 'Low' warning was displayed. Letting it rest for half a minute or so (and praying) before trying again did help but it was nerve wracking to say the least - and all in front of non Duke riders!

Is this normal - I suspect not and would welcome the benefit of your collective wisdom!
Old 11-Apr-2005, 21:57
Mille

Mood: Got the S - waiting for the Termi's
I find my 749R needs the 'choke' most times.
Also - need to get used to the 999/749 managing the start.
Press the starter and release it - you will find that the bike will continue to turn over until it starts (this is normal).
Old 11-Apr-2005, 22:08
Mille

I had a vague recollection about the 'auto' start routine and, since mine doesn't do that, had assumed that it applied only to certain models (05 or 749/999Rs?). Just to make sure I have just nipped out to check it and it definiately doesn't 'manage' the start!

I was fearing that I was going to have try to bump start it yesterday (I know that was difficult, but possible, on my SS) but I did always manage to get it going.
Old 11-Apr-2005, 22:14
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Sounds like another duff gel battery,.....get it replaced under warranty.
Old 11-Apr-2005, 22:15
Mille

All 999/749 should 'auto start'
Old 11-Apr-2005, 22:20
Big Twin

My 749s has a history of starting problems. The batteries do not hold charge very well, especially if there is an alarm on the bike. It could well be that your's is not really fully charged so it is just on the verge and gets enough from the engine running to keep it there.

When we had a new garage put up last summer our bikes were in temporary storage in a neighbours stable. With no convenient power point I did not put Optimate on as I would normally. 4 weeks later the monster was fine (no alarm) but my 749s was totally flat. I could not even deactivate the alarm when I inadvertantly set off the motion sensor and we had to just wait for it to stop - much to the annoyance of the residents in the other stables! Battery had to be charged before I could move it.

Just my 4-pennth worth ... long winded as usual
Old 11-Apr-2005, 22:27
Mille

Thanks guys. I guess the battery must be duff because if a 250 mile trip wouldn't charge it what would!

Even at running in revs (up to 5.5k rpm) there should be enough juice coming out of the alternator to charge it. In order to ensure that it would get a good charge I was running without my lights on to help things along.

I have a Datatool System 3 alarm fitted which shouldn't make any difference to the charging but will help drain waht little charge there is in it!
Old 11-Apr-2005, 22:33
Big Twin

Same alarm as mine. You're right that should charge it ... I still plug mine into the Optimate every time I put it away. I am a little nervous about our trip in the summer, might have to take the Optimate with me! I guess I accept it as part and parcel of Cudati ownership now, but it shouldn't be like that.

There has also been a history on here of batteries failing. The gel types are good for higher capacity in a small size but do not last well.
Old 11-Apr-2005, 22:34
Mille

Page 47 of the manual - called 'servo' assisted starting.
Press the button and release - the starter then operates for a period determined by the engine temperature.
If it fails to start then wait 2 seconds before trying again.
Do not use any throttle during this operation.
Old 11-Apr-2005, 22:38
Mille

I also have a japanese bike which always amazes me when it will start after several months standing with no trickle charge.
However - as a precaution I have always used an optimate on my past 3 Dukes - no matter how short the lay-off.
Never had a problem with poor charge.
I know it should n't need it BUT its only a TINY inconvenience to plug in the optimate