Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jun-2005, 11:09
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
I removed and refitted one last night just by turning the rubber nut and holding bolt with my finger, maybe I need to check how tight all of them are think i'll stick a dab of lock tite on.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 11:22
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
I removed and refitted one last night just by turning the rubber nut and holding bolt with my finger, maybe I need to check how tight all of them are think i'll stick a dab of lock tite on.

I think if you stick a dab of locktite on thenm you will never get them off again! Better to sitck a dab of red rubber grease on them so they will not seize up!

I change my screens about fairly often at the moment ... only because I have found afavourite one now and so want it on road fairing and on track day fairing too. I got a set of screen screws from ProBolt that come with the rubber wellnuts (screws are std allen heads). I didn't have a tool for the original ones and just head the heads with some (masking tape) protected grips then binned them. I'm sick of these special took jobs, no reason for it at all.

<flame away boys>
Old 22-Jun-2005, 11:30
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by HW

I think if you stick a dab of locktite on thenm you will never get them off again!

I have a sharp drill and a steady hand
Old 22-Jun-2005, 11:34
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
Quote:
Originally posted by HW

I think if you stick a dab of locktite on thenm you will never get them off again!

I have a sharp drill and a steady hand

The whole idea of the rubber wellnuts is that the rubber acts like an anti-vibration device. I only have mine done up as tight as I can twist the wellnut with my fingers (holding the screw with an allen key). The wellnuts are a bit of an arse to get into the holes on the screen so I just let the action of screwing them on pull them into the holes. The screen (Powerbronze Airflow) is too thick for the wellnuts to seat correctly anyway so they just get pulled into the holes until the rubber grips and holds them.

Just don't use copper grease on wellnuts because it causes damage to the rubber and they release the brass inserts. Red rubber grease is the stuff to get ... I got mine from a local tool supplier (not Halfords!), but your local friendly Ducati dealer would probably give you a bit in a bag that'd last you years.

[Edited on 22-6-2005 by HW]
Old 22-Jun-2005, 11:38
Montjuic

I replaced the screen on my 749, the screen screw were like cheese - soft as sh*te. I did the same as you went to halfords couldn't get the correct size, got one at the ally pally show in the end.

Ended up having to junior hacksaw a grove in the screw head so i could unscrew the fastener as some had been rounded off. Worked a treat :-)

Worth getting some new fasteners or getting a set from www.tastynuts.com (Pro-Bolt) IMHO.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 23:50
Mille

Thanks guys. It seems like it's pot luck whether you get the tool or not - a bit like the 'managed start' feature. Some have it, mine doesn't!
Old 23-Jun-2005, 16:39
Mille

Mood: Need spares
I've got the managed start but my tool kit didnt come with a torx driver. Maybe that was the trade off.

Wasnt the managed start only introduced on the 2004 model ?
Old 23-Jun-2005, 16:41
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Managed start???????
Old 23-Jun-2005, 16:59
Big Twin

My 03 749S did NOT have a managed start as standard, but it came with one after the ECU was changed when the Termis were fitted.

Took me by suprise because I didn't know about it. I just thought my starter button was sticking and was about it take it into the dealer and moan. DOH!

<for TwinFan>
Managed Start: Prod the starter button and it carries on running the starter until it catches. Quite posy when you are with a load of others and you prod it then go back to putting your helmet and gloves on while it does it's own thing!
Old 03-Jul-2005, 16:44
Mille

Got a tool! Now trying to fit the screen.

Next Question:

How the fcuk do you get to the lowest pair of screws? I struggled to get to them taking them off but managed it. As I 'm getting them off I'm thinking getting them back on is going to be twice as difficult.

Was I right!

I carefully managed to squeeze the wellnuts into the screen and offered the screen up to the top fairing and carefully edged it into place - *ugger, one of them dislodged. Try again but this time I pared a sliver of rubber off of the wellnuts. This worked, but I have had no success in getting the screws into place.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to remove anything else to get better access?