Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-May-2006, 18:47
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
Electrex Regulator Question Help

I have today received a replacement regulator for my 91 900ss. Electrex list part number RR51 as the one for a shed load of Ducs of various models.
Now my worry is that the two yellow feed cables from my altenator are twice the size of those it links to on the new regulator.

Does this sound right to you ?

Have you the same unit and are the yellows small the same as mine ?

Has anyone had problems with Electrex replacement units or what part numbers have you fitted ?

Your thoughts and coments Please

Thanks Kev
Old 17-May-2006, 18:54
500SD

I had one on my 748/853 - worked perfectly and half the price too!!!!
Old 17-May-2006, 20:43
Mille

I have one on my 600ss. It is fine too!
Old 18-May-2006, 11:00
500SD

Frank did you notice the sizes of the yellow wires ?
All the tales of woe seem to be based around the feed coming from them, so why are they so small on the replacement item?
I am going to make a call in a minute.
K
Old 18-May-2006, 12:25
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello Red-leader

I bought the exact same item, and the wires were a little on the small size
However was informed that these regulator are better at dispercing the heat, and as a result are more reliable, However I still cut the wires back to about an inch and a half and used larger guage wire.

regards

TopiToo
Old 18-May-2006, 21:25
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

There are two concerns here. The I-squared-R heat transferred to the insulation from the 30 amps being carried by the wire and the external thermal environment that the insulation sees. Any in-line connector will be the point of highest in-line resistance, especially if the connectors become corroded as they are prone to be. That's why the insulation gets crispy adjacent to the connector and why it's a good idea to solder the wires together.

The wires that are connected to the stator see a quite hot environment since they are run in a common sheath near the engine. This common sheath is a major factor in regulator failures because it holds the wires together along it's length, and as the wire's insulation property degrades, the wires short together intermittently and cause damage to the regulator. The sheath is probably there for abrasion resistance to provide additional insulation to adjacent engine and chassis parts. I took it off.

The first evidence is usually burnt insulation adjacent to the connector to the regulator and most people just cut out and replace this section of wire. But if you check the wires inside the sheath you'll find that the insulation there has also been damaged and should be replaced as well. The insulation on my 916 in the sheath was so soft that I could cut it with my fingernail. I had to replace several regulators until I found this root cause.

The answer to your question about wire sizes is that the size required is larger in hot environments to avoid insulation degradation. The insulation material and thickness selected is also a function of the service environment as well as voltage and current carried.
Old 19-May-2006, 19:02
500SD

Well the man from Electrex said that the wires are correct for the job. Cant say he was to helpfull though. Sort of made me feel I was asking a stupid question.
SO THE QUESTION STILL REMAINS
Why the difference in cable size, Why should Ducati feel the need to put such a big wire on and Electrex dont.

Its going on anyway though !
Cheers Kev
Old 19-May-2006, 20:19
Big Twin

I've not heard this before.

I find it hard to square this with two pieces of Ducati orthodox opinion:

a) The yellow wires on the bike loom are too small.

b) The Electrex unit is better than the stock Ducati unit.

If the stock wires are undersized, and are going to overheat through IČR effect, aren't the even thinner Electrex wires going to suffer even more?

Am I missing something here?
Old 19-May-2006, 21:29
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I read it a little differently, the yellow wires after the connector are further away from the engine and so do not need to be the same as before..

and yes - the Electrex unit does appear to be better than OEM, in all my travels on Internet land, I've not heard of a failed Electrex unit.

(fingers, but not wires - crossed)

Frank
Old 19-May-2006, 21:40
Big Twin

Why should the connectors be in a different place? They still have to join the loom in same place, surely, behind the battery tray?