Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 28-Feb-2009, 19:23
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Yea now tell everyone I have fitted a 200kg trailer to it
Old 28-Feb-2009, 20:03
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
Why would it blow up on the dyno when reved to a controled rpm, than on the track where they are constantly over reved as one is not looking at the tacho???

Chris

Quite right Chris

The ACU handbook states It is the riders responsibility to ensure his machine used in competition is technically and structurally in a safe coindition.

as such it has to be able to pass technical inspection be that reving it up for a sound check to ensure it does not exceed the specified noise limit or a Dyno run to ensure it does not exceed the specified power limit.

If you have signed up for DD then you have agreed to comply with the rules one of which is

Compliance Control

At the end of the race, the DSC Race Committee can request that all classified motorcycles are placed in a parc-fermé for a period of at least 30 minutes.

Any motorcycle can be checked for compliance with these rules, and any other technical requirement, if requested by a representative of the DSC Race Committee

So if a check on the bikes power to see if it complies with the bhp limit will require a dynorun

Now if a race bike can't withstand a dyno run I do wonder if it should be out there on the race track

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 28-Feb-2009, 22:45
500SD

Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
Talking Of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchcommando
Can we use wets and warmers ?

Cental heating for my pigeons.

Ee its grim up north!
Old 01-Mar-2009, 01:12
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Quite right Chris

The ACU handbook states It is the riders responsibility to ensure his machine used in competition is technically and structurally in a safe coindition.

as such it has to be able to pass technical inspection be that reving it up for a sound check to ensure it does not exceed the specified noise limit or a Dyno run to ensure it does not exceed the specified power limit.

If you have signed up for DD then you have agreed to comply with the rules one of which is

Compliance Control

At the end of the race, the DSC Race Committee can request that all classified motorcycles are placed in a parc-fermé for a period of at least 30 minutes.

Any motorcycle can be checked for compliance with these rules, and any other technical requirement, if requested by a representative of the DSC Race Committee

So if a check on the bikes power to see if it complies with the bhp limit will require a dynorun

Now if a race bike can't withstand a dyno run I do wonder if it should be out there on the race track

Just playing devils advocate, asking the question....as I am fairly sure that "IF" the worst happened liability would almost certainly fall on the rules makers.....DSC.

Perhaps the race committee should check it out....there are many cases of....Oh! it will never happen. Then it does and......**it happens.

It may mean a small extra insurance cost, but better that then a bigger legal bill.

Here in Warrington all taxis are required to run on a rolling road at a specific revs' to measure both exhaust noise and emmissions. (Compliance Control)

A Mercedes diesel blew up "on test" The Transport licencing dept. denied all liability.....which eventually cost them over £25,000. Repairs and loss of earning for the owner driver of the Merc'.
Old 01-Mar-2009, 06:51
500SD

Mood: ready to race
This Is The Way It Is

Dd Is A Dsc Game Invented By Dsc

You Wont To Play There Game You Play By There Rules Simple

You Dont Like There Rules Go Play Somebody Elses Game Easy

Dd Is Not Compulsary Its Your Choice

If The Grass Is So Much Greener On The Other Side Why Are We All Still Here?????

Simple Because We Love It

Nuff Said End Of
Old 01-Mar-2009, 11:55
GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith-healer
Just playing devils advocate, asking the question....as I am fairly sure that "IF" the worst happened liability would almost certainly fall on the rules makers.....DSC.

Perhaps the race committee should check it out....there are many cases of....Oh! it will never happen. Then it does and......**it happens.

It may mean a small extra insurance cost, but better that then a bigger legal bill.

Here in Warrington all taxis are required to run on a rolling road at a specific revs' to measure both exhaust noise and emmissions. (Compliance Control)

A Mercedes diesel blew up "on test" The Transport licencing dept. denied all liability.....which eventually cost them over £25,000. Repairs and loss of earning for the owner driver of the Merc'.

Entirely valid point, and well made, too.

Given that this is an entirely voluntary (and largely insane) thing to do in the first place, I suspect it is unlikely that anyone will try to take advantage in the way that the Taxi driver seems to have done. Apart from anythng else,the line of riders laughing at him would give him pause for thought. In fact, I'd like to be there at the front if one did try it on!
Old 01-Mar-2009, 14:44
Mille

I'm not quite sure how I should respond to the...."if you don't like it **** off tone" of some replies to my posting.

The senario I outlined COULD happen....I didn't make any threats, just pointed out that maybe the race committee should look at the implications of Dyno' testing being complulsory....

No wonder Ducatisti is seen to be a far more friendly site and a damned sight less cliquey.

Thanks for looking at the big picture guys

Steve GD

The taxi driver didn't "take advantage", the testing station wrecked his engine, the owner of the cab wasn't even in the building. The transport licencing refused to accept liability and the owner/driver could not afford the £3,500 bill for repairs. Mercedes UK stated that the test procedure was flawed and it still took almost six months before Warrington Transport Dept accepted that "they were wrong" and repaired the car.The driver was unable to work until the car was fixed as he only owned the one car.

BTW The driver wasn't me

Last edited by faith-healer : 01-Mar-2009 at 15:03.
Old 01-Mar-2009, 16:11
Mille
Bikes: Multistraddle S, Cucciolo

Mood: Blown away!
Re the dyno testing, I think you'll find that the ACU and the race organisers/promotors are fully indemnified against any and all damage occuring to anyone or anything involved in the meeting. That's what's on the sign-up sheet. Maybe taxi emissions testing stations aren't (weren't?) covering their asses before starting to work on other people's cars....
Old 01-Mar-2009, 21:50
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
About 3 years ago I had to do some water flow measurements on a WSB at Foggy Petronas. It was Mr Walkers bike. They were getting ready for a meeting and I was told that my results would have to come from one dyno run only as they were not prepared to sacrifice reliability by doing any more.
Old 01-Mar-2009, 23:01
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith-healer
I'm not quite sure how I should respond to the...."if you don't like it **** off tone" of some replies to my posting.

The senario I outlined COULD happen....I didn't make any threats, just pointed out that maybe the race committee should look at the implications of Dyno' testing being complulsory....

No wonder Ducatisti is seen to be a far more friendly site and a damned sight less cliquey.

Thanks for looking at the big picture guys

As I read it: Senna's post, if that which you refer isn't directly related to your post at all.

You make an interesting point. I would expect most dyno operators have a level of indemnity, or maybe you sign that away when you allow it to be done. What happens if my bike breaks a dyno?? Do the sue me??

Either way the big picture is surely that the series rules require you to submit your bike to a dyno, if required, in order to try and achieve parity for all.

Please all the people all the time, never, but still worth a try.