Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 23-Oct-2006, 10:02
Mille

Mood: extreme caution
Can anyone advise?

I am considering updating the Multistrada for next year. I was going to go for a new 1100 or a nearly new 1000S DS but i have heard good reports on the KTM 950 SM. I know that it isnt as practical as the Multi but i think i could live with that. Does anyone on here have any first hand experiance in owning/riding the KTM and if so would it be a sensible purchase. Any advise would be greatfully recieved.
Old 23-Oct-2006, 10:11
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
YEP!!

we considered the multi as well, but its back to having a second Ducati with all the associated stuff.

We bought KTM at start of September and have done 3k miles already.

Awesome bike!! It is so capable of covering everything. I have commuted on it - really easy to ride although a little wider than the 998!

We toured Scotland for 5 days with lugagge and it was brilliant on all roads, fast, single track and even slightly off road at one point (we won't go there)

It's been used for day out blasts which have included days with sports bikes and days out with proper super motos and it handled both just as well.

We have done motorway journeys and its been great.

You can pressure wash it!

The panels are dirt cheap if you drop it!

Servicing is reasonably priced

Bolt on accesories are reasonably priced

Rides really well with loads of grunt and plenty of get up and go

Handles well and suspension can be changed to suit your riding

Stonking brakes!

Downsides....

Above 90mph without tank bag gets quite windy!!

Seat is not fantastic, but you can get a gel seat. I have my own padding so not found it an issue tbh

Probably the best bike I have owned so far in terms of all round capability.
Old 23-Oct-2006, 10:46
Mille

Mood: thrash the bitch
I recently went on a KTM test bike roadshow and tried the 950.
All the Lily says is true, I am currently saving up for one
Old 23-Oct-2006, 12:55
Mille

Thanks for the advise, Lily.
Where did you get yours from and did you get a good deal, if you dont mind me asking.Ta, Paul.
Old 23-Oct-2006, 13:03
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Got it from Triple D in Kendal and yes I think we did ok on the deal.

They were looking at not being a road dealer moving forward, but they can still get bikes for you. I would call and ask for Julian.
Old 23-Oct-2006, 15:11
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Lily's pretty much covered everything, the seat is a bit hard over long distances but I bought the GEL seat which does help, there's plenty of luggage available for them from KTM branded (Givi) Top boxes to tank bags of various sizes.You get a 17ltr tank and if your not thrashing it out and out you'll get 10 miles to the litre so potentially 170 mile range from the miles we did round Scotland.Service intervals are less than a Ducati (4500-5000 miles) but are cheaper (minor service £150 major £350) so another winner there.Again with parts pretty much dirt cheap, complete seat unit plastics are 60 quid, side panels are 40 quid if you want to throw it down the road.Build quality and finish as good as any and you get a host of quality parts from brembo, white power etc, you even get radial brakes same as the 999.Other nice things that I haven't seen on other bikes are the quality of the toolkit and all the associated manuals you get a complete spares breakdown by part number and suggested suspension settings etc, nice little touches.Stock they're about 94bhp but with some jetting and airbox mods (no fuel injection here) you can squeeze another 10 out.The only thing lacking is wind protection but below 85 you're OK once you get above that you notice it, at a push you'll see around 125-130 on the clock not a rocket ship but you really don't need anymore than that on the road, and you'd be surprised how many sportsbikes can't keep up with you!!!
Old 23-Oct-2006, 16:27
Mille

JPM. Your a star. Very helpfull info. I am trying to arrange a test ride as i type.
Old 23-Oct-2006, 16:38
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
After chatting to Lily I'm starting to seriously consider replacing my car with a KTM 950SM ...

hrmmm ...
Old 23-Oct-2006, 16:48
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Talking Mutli upgrade?

Wot u want iz a big boar
Old 23-Oct-2006, 17:38
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Oh and there's a 950R coming out next year, no different technically although smaller tank (14ltrs I think) to make it look a bit sportier, orange frame, black swingarm etc different graphics, but the standard 950SM is still available also.