Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Apr-2006, 11:09
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Fuel tank overhaul - Q&A Please....

Good night at work last night

Managed to take my tank in and strip it down completely - before starting to refurb it with a POR15 kit - theres a useful article here:

FUEL TANK REPAIR WITH POR15 - THANKS TO WWW.DUCATI.MS

So, I have a few questions and comments so I'll fire away....

1) The main black ring seal, visible looking down on the gas cap when fully assembled, on my bike is only 75% complete? Is it MEANT to be a full 360 degrees or is a part supposed to be missing so it fits correctly.

(my cap was a swine coming out this time - but I found it useful to get the seal out and spray releasing fluid in the gap, then - push / pulling on the cap base, eased it out, eventually!)

2) Is it worthwhile replacing the inner (green) base cap seal or just use some petrol resistant lube and throw it back it?

3) Good idea from Derek - I intend to move the fuel filter to OUTSIDE the tank by replacing the original with a length of fuel hose - and simply fitting the new filter in the line to the carbs. Seems to be 8mm ID hose - can someone confirm pls?

(NB - I notice my NEW filter has a metal body whereas the old that was in the tank was plastic, I'm tempted to cut it up and see just what debris it has captured)

4) Drain hose from the cap base (narrow hose) - can someone confirm the ID pls?

5) Fuel pump - 17,000 mls and 13 years old. Should I really be changing the fuel pump? I didnt find it too bad a job stripping it all down really but, does anyone have any idea of failure rates or (I dread to ask) how much a fuel pump is?

(NB - I marked the fuel pump electrical connections as I guessed if they were reversed the pump would run BACKWARDS - right or wrong ???)

Finally - connections:
Has anyone found a better fuel tap than the rotary one fitted (too 'fiddly' I think).

And - has anyone tried the 'quick disconnect' fittings (that can be seperated and isolate the flow - Demon Tweeks were doing them I think) on the main fuel line - comments pls - good or bad.

Thats enough before going to bed I think!

Cheers - Frank
Old 02-Apr-2006, 15:53
GTL

Hi Frank,

a wee while since I did it, but:

I) do you mean that there is a complete section missing ie it's not a complete ring? Mine was 360 degrees.

2) I re-used mine and it seems fine; needless to say careful when refitting in case you nip it.

5) I have a spare pump if you need it but I don't think it's any newer than yours. I tend to be of the 'if it aint broke...' school, not always a good thing.

I've only used quick disconnect fittings on the 748. The 748/916 tank is such a nightmare to work on so they do help, but I always seem to nip one or the other of the o-rings (see '2'!); a hinged tank would be a dawdle.
Old 03-Apr-2006, 09:45
WSB Hero

Many thanks - and for the offer of the fuel pump as well - I'll test mine first and try and make an assessment.

I need to order a few 'bits and bobs' from my friendly Duke dealer so I guess its time new cap ring!

Cheers - Frank
Old 03-Apr-2006, 15:10
Bikes: 916 Bip

Hi Frank

The connections to the fuel pump ARE polarity sensitive. Make sure you put em back the way you found them or no-go.
Old 03-Apr-2006, 15:45
WSB Hero

Thought they might be - cheers!