Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Mar-2005, 12:17
Montjuic

Front brakes seized.....

I know there is a lot of intrest in this subject and the on going saga that Twinfan is experiencing, so I thought i'd post this in the hope that shared knowledge will help others.

Out on the bike on sunday, (20/03/05) beautiful day, (for once) intending to open her up, get the blood flowing... Doing about 44mph, when the bike started to feel strange, couldn't seem to accelerate. Thought maybe there was a problem with the engine as i've recently had to have the ECU replaced. So I rolled of the throttle and pulled in the clutch with the intention of changing up into 3rd, and the bike just stopped all by itself. It stopped in an incredible short distance, quicker than if i'd been attempting an emergency stop. Turns out the front brakes had seized/locked up. Luckily I didn't pitch over the handle bars or lose control. Even more lucky that I didn't get on the brakes in a panic, or I would have been off - no question.

Bike is now back at the dealers - Ducati have requested a safety report with pictures, seem to be treating it as serious, which of course it is!

I have to say a that the dealers have been first rate so far, and have lend me a courtesy bike without hesitation - so i'll keep you posted.

For the record it's 04' 749 Dark.
Old 23-Mar-2005, 12:19
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Interesting....

So that's possibly 3 so far, main thing is you're OK

Which dealer did you take it to, and purchase your bike from?
Old 23-Mar-2005, 12:31
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Interesting....

So that's possibly 3 so far, main thing is you're OK

Which dealer did you take it to, and purchase your bike from?

Charles Hurst in Belfast.
Initially the guy was very sceptical, saying that he'd never heard of such a thing happening before. I told him about what happened to Twinfan, and the DSC notice board, but he kinda poo-pooed the idea as Ducati hadn't mentioned any problems. However after he had an opportunity to see the bike and the colour of the disc's, he seemed to change his mind. Apparently there're going to replace the disc's, calipers and pads - but at the minute, the thoughts of getting back on the bike don't fill me with enthusiasm - despite the fact i'm riding the R6 courtesy bike.
Old 23-Mar-2005, 12:35
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
well done for keeping it upright!!

Will be watching this very carefully...

Let us know what happens!
Old 23-Mar-2005, 12:41
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Whoa!!! Another one!!! And a 749 again too!

When was the bike registered in '04? Was it around May time by any chance???????
Old 23-Mar-2005, 12:42
Big Twin

Glad you're OK by the way - could've been very nasty! That's exactly what happened on my bike too, only I couldn't stay on
Old 23-Mar-2005, 12:42
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Surely Ducati need to get this sorted very quickly, dread to think what might happen if the brakes seize on a rider leading a bunch of mates on a group ride.

Come on Ducati, this need sorting - NOW.
Old 23-Mar-2005, 12:46
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Glad your ok.

My 04 749S goes in for its first service on the 1st April, I will be asking for a full examination of the braking system.

Thats three cases at least now we have heard of, how many don't we know about?
Old 23-Mar-2005, 12:55
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by jobr
Glad your ok.

My 04 749S goes in for its first service on the 1st April, I will be asking for a full examination of the braking system.

Thats three cases at least now we have heard of, how many don't we know about?

Exactly!

How many other 749's are out there and the riders are blissfully unawares of potential issues, I say potential as nothing has been proved yet. I think the DSC has quite a large audience and I'd imagine goes someway to getting stuff like this out to a wider group of people.

But this could clearly be a serious risk to the owner/rider which worst case could result in a fatality
Old 23-Mar-2005, 12:57
Big Twin

Yep, three we know of. If necroscope's bike is from May 2004, then that sounds like a possible faulty batch of callipers from Brembo. Interesting that they were building 749s at the time and no 999s. I wonder how many bikes are time bombs waiting to go off?

This could be quite a large problem, depending on the size of the batch numbers of Brembo callipers...