Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Jun-2003, 09:45
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
I wanted to get a mesh guard fitted across the mouth of my fairing lower so posted a query on the Ducati.com forum about concerns over my oil temp and their reply was that all the enclosed air cooled motors run hot. A temp of 140-150 is hot, but is not worrying (unless there is another, hidden, problem) under "normal" running conditions.
Like Fordie says, if you're gonna be stuck at a a standstill for any length of time, kill it until you need it.

[Edited on 1-6-2003 by psychlist]
Old 01-Jun-2003, 19:24
Mille

I had the same worry when I got my ss but 110-120 is normal in summer and youll find in the winter it strugles to reach 100
Tip: Just make sure the valve in the oil line wich is located at the left side of your oil coller is set to allow the oil to go through the cooler.
This switch can be turned to alter or divert some of the oil towards your carbs this is supposed to stop them iceing in the winter
Iv never tride it though.
Old 12-Oct-2007, 17:22

Mood: O so cool
My 900 sl runs between 105 -110 as normal takes about 10 miles to reach that temp will go more if sitting in traffic I have had the bike for 6 Years with the 944 kit on it was about the same

mike f
Old 12-Oct-2007, 17:38
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Oil Temperatures

Air-cooled engines are designed to run hotter than water-cooled engines, but the rules for oil temperatures are the same for both engines. YOU may be uncomfortable at the higher engine temperatures but the engine has been designed with adequate materials and thermal expansion clearances to run just fine.

From the engine point-of-view, you should expect to see indicated oil temperatures between the gauge midpoint and three quarter mark with occasional excursions to full scale. That’s how the manufacturer selects the gauge mid-point. If the oil temperature is too cool the oil viscosity is higher so you will loose power due to pumping losses.

From the oil point-of-view, you need to maintain lubrication and a high enough viscosity when hot to produce an adequate oil pressure. If the oil temperature is too hot, the oil oxidizes and breaks-down more quickly.

That’s why you should run a synthetic oil, to give you a safety margin against oil breakdown. A regular oil will begin to lose its film strength at temperatures above 105°C, while most full-synthetic oils can be safely used at temperatures as high as 150°C before lubrication-related damage becomes a concern.

As a rule-of-thumb your oil temperature should be kept below 115ºC if you want to change petroleum-based oil at the recommended intervals. For every ten degrees above 115°C, cut your oil change interval in half.

Race car builders usually design for oil temperatures between 110°C and 127°C in order to get the best power. Above that range, engine reliability and oil life becomes a factor in racing.

That said, make sure your oil cooler is clean. One 900SS with a dirty cooler was running in the 140’s at speed. After cleaning about 110°C.

Also, Ducati oil temp gauges, at least for the 900SS bikes, have been reported to be notoriously inaccurate.
Old 12-Oct-2007, 21:20
888 at Last !!!

My 900SL also runs at 110C on a longish run. What seems to happen is that after 10 miles it's up to temperature. Then if i'm running fast it goes up to 110C and doesn't seem to come down regardless of how I ride after that. Will go as high as 120C if it's in traffic but goes back to 110C after that. Strange. I was also worried about it at first but now it's just normal operation.

One thing to check is the oil cooler tap which is on the left hand side of the bike, towards the front, next to the oil rad. Not all bikes have it fitted. It's to transfer oil to the carb heater kit to prevent carb icing (apparently). In summer time it should be inline with the pipe. In winter mode - ie my carbs are cold - it should be turned 90 deg to the pipe. Might make a difference to the temp, might not.

Last edited by ziggi : 12-Oct-2007 at 21:24.
Old 12-Oct-2007, 21:30
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin900SSFE
Thx, I too had a blat on the A339 Basingstoke to Alton

Last time I went down there, there be scamera vans!
Old 12-Oct-2007, 22:04

In July I got my 1000SS serviced at D/Glasgow. On the way home I got stuck in rush-hour traffic at one of the bridges over the forth & the temp got to 127 deg.
Then a week later I read Shazzam & Nelly's comments about oil.....@hit!!!!

Mobil 1 going in start of next year. (Bargain on Ebay)
Old 13-Oct-2007, 00:56
Mille

Mood: fair to middling
My bike, being a '92 model, doesn't have an oil temp gauge. Less information =>less paranoia.
Old 13-Oct-2007, 02:08
Mille

Mine gets up to 140 if out on a fast ride, read somewhere not to worry about it
Old 14-Oct-2007, 20:07
500SD

mine run's a little hotter with hc pistons and fcr's........110-120 is normal temp, mine creeps up higher in traffic 140