Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Apr-2004, 15:18
Montjuic

HELP! Sick 900ss...

Bloody typical- I've been out for my first ride on the 900ss (been working away) and it's running ****.

Unrideable below 4500 revs, won't take any load at all, just pops & bangs & missfires. Actually tried to kill me- cut out & died while overtaking a row of traffic, and came to a halt on the wrong side of the road.

Feels like really bad carb icing, but no carbs! Seems to go OK if thrashed, but still occasionally holding back, like it's going onto one cyl or the ignition's not advancing.

Checked injectors still located correctly, checked plugs- look OK. Nothing obvious. Filled up with fresh fuel- no difference.

Anyone think of what to check next?

I actually bought an injected bike so I wouldn't have to put up with this crap.

Any help gratefully received... A
Old 03-Apr-2004, 14:54
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I guess there must be a fuel filter in there somewhere....

Possibly a blocked vent in the fuel tank so there is too much vacuum being created???

Being a Carby man I'm afraid I'm only guessing.... try our very on Nelly at Cornerspeed.co.uk

Good luck
Old 03-Apr-2004, 18:52
Mille

Mood: waiting til next summer ;)
I had a bit of a prob with my 900ssie last summer, sometimes when started it would feel and sound like it was running on 1 cylinder, popping and banging and blowing loads a black smoke on revving, when ridden it was hard to ride normally but only when given a fistful it ride normal again until i backed off.

Not sure if they are the same symptoms you are suffering with???

Although after several mechanics had a look, and new leads, plugs, injectors, filters e.t.c. took her to ducati to be plugged on a diagnostic machine, to find out it was the cold start valve that was f**ked, and it was tricking the ECU to thinking the engine was cold, and fuelling to make up for it. .

Oh well live and learn.!!!!

Hope that is of some help m8.

Steve
Old 03-Apr-2004, 18:54
Mille

p.s. Has anyone seen my avatar??? Its seems to have gone walkies?? lmao
Old 03-Apr-2004, 19:36
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Tont 2002. Thanks for the update its all ways good to see a result. Touch wood my 900SS has given me 25,000 trouble free miles . Although I do use it regularly and don't like seeing her sit in the garage for too long. Just been out on it for a short ride , topped up the fuel tank on the way back and I feel better for it also knowing that the bikes running well. 996's turn tommorrow. Regards 4D
Old 03-Apr-2004, 20:20
Montjuic

Cheers, all...

Similar symptoms to tont but no black smoke, plugs normal colour...

I'm going to clean the injectors next & take it from there.

Off back to London now, back here on Weds. so I'll have a play then.

Where IS the cold start valve btw?
Old 04-Apr-2004, 11:13
Mille

Cheers Fordie,

Nice to see that you still keep using the old 2 valve, when you have the desmoquattro. Hope you still enjoy riding her, by the way how much difference do you find between the 2??? Just curious cuz i might be going that way soon.

I'm not too sure 3narf where the cold start valve is, but i will have a look on my epc, see if i can see it on there. I know it wasnt that expensive for ducati to fix it though (shockingly). Hope ya get it sorted mate.

Like 4D said not usually have a lot of trouble from them, thats the only thing gone wrong in 2 yrs of owning her (touch wood).

Steve

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by tont2002]
Old 04-Apr-2004, 15:06
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Check inside the tank for a split fuel line.
Old 08-Apr-2004, 11:33
Montjuic

Sorted!

Neil at Cornerspeed (01623 758877) suggested cleaning the connector contacts for the crank position sensor or the throttle sensor- it turned out to be the latter, green corrosion cleaned off & WD40'd and it's like a new bike. I'll have to give it a run (Wales next w/end for a stag do) to be sure, but it's actually rideable now, so I'm confident it's fixed.

Thanks to Neil and everybody else who contributed...

You SHALL go to the ball, Cinderella!
Old 08-Apr-2004, 14:07
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
3narf, You was curious about the ridability of the 996 against the 900SS, well for one the 900 sounds better with the DP Carbon cans on,even though the 996 has 50mm Termis, although the 996 has more power than the 900 its only on the straights that you notice it and if you arn't into warp speed riding then the 900 is more user friendly.I would be just as happy riding the 900SS round Cadwell as the 996 I have just replaced both the tyres on the 996 after covering 3000 miles. I only got about 2700 on the back wheel of the 900 I think there is more grunt from the 900 or maybe thats how I have to ride it to stay with the lads some times . In truth having the 996 enables me now, to enjoy my ride outs more having that extra power not primarily to go faster but to have that extra ummph when I need it. Another factor is ,Trina my wife would rather pillion the 900 than the 996 . I guess its a natural progression to want to go on to a 99/whatever. I rode my SS for 20,000 very enjoyable miles and feel privledged to own one, I still love em. Regards 4D

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by Fordie]