Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Apr-2004, 23:04
Montjuic

paddock stands

What type of stand is everyone using? A mate lent me one, it was made of large diameter tubing with double wheels, but it either fouled the sprocket bolts or the cans, depending on which end of the swingarm the cups went.

I reckon the skinny ones, like the old Micron type would be best. Does anyone still make that type?

Cheers, A
Old 21-Apr-2004, 09:21

I can confirm that the conventional type with cups that slide in and out do indeed foul on the sprocket nuts, and the underside of the cans. In order to get my rear wheel out I'm going to have to take the cans off in order that I can slide the stand under far enough to allow the wheel to rotate (so I can get the chain off).

Last time I had a new tyre fitted the shop used one of those abba stands that slots in to the swing-arm pivot - I was really impressed with it. Very solid and easy to use. Got to be worth considering, as it means you leave the rear suspension hanging free, so you can work on the shock if you need to.

Nik
Old 21-Apr-2004, 09:41
888 at Last !!!

The abba stand is my next purchase. I have had enough messing around with paddock stands. Plus the abba stand is universal.
Old 21-Apr-2004, 09:44
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Erm.....I've used a cheapy Micron stand at the rear without any real problems....

M&P do quite a few of them.....look under 'workshop'

http://www.mandp.co.uk/homepage.aspx
Old 21-Apr-2004, 09:54
888 at Last !!!

999/749 tried two paddock stands i had the same problem. Sprocket nut's rubbing on the stand. Plus the bike does not seem very stable on the stand.
Old 21-Apr-2004, 10:14
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Having use my Micron Stands for a few years now I turn the pads /cups downwards,put the cups more towards the swingarm so it does'nt foul the sprocket or nuts.It then just clears the Carbon Cans when lifting the bike its better to have the bike upright if possible and not learning on the side stand. 4D
Old 21-Apr-2004, 10:26
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
I have an Abba stand, the type that fits in the swingarm pivot, and totally love it.

I also have a Micron rear paddock stand that I've never had any problems using unlike a local tyre place I used to use. Somehow or other they managed to lift the bike via one side of the swingarm and the brake torque arm putting a lovely little bend in the torque arm.
Old 23-Apr-2004, 16:15
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

I bought an Abba stand immediately after I bought the bike - best money I ever spent