Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Sep-2004, 16:38
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by Clippy
BDG,

Even when it turns over it's never easy to get my SPS started.

Once it's been running it will start pretty much on the button, but leave it overnight or longer and it takes 3, 4, or even 5 attempts to spin it over for 3-5 seconds before it will catch.

Fun and games...

Giles

From what i've heard seems common on the SPS. The advantage of 11.5:1 compression ratio over the standard 9.5:1
Old 27-Sep-2004, 17:10
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"11.5:1 compression ratio"-pah! my motorhome has a 22.5/1 compression ratio-now that REALLY takes some turning over.
Interesting thing is the petrol version has a 55ah battery and 0.7kw starter, my TD has a 90ah battery and 2.5kw starter-don't think I fancy trying to bump or kickstart that lump.............

John
Old 27-Sep-2004, 20:20

Your starting problem may be due to a faulty sensor not letting the ecu know that the engine is cold. If you can't check them yourself or get them done more locally at a reasonable cost, I might be able to help if you don't mind a run out to Leeds.
Cheers
Ducati John
0113 2829933
07746 175112
www.ducati-john.co.uk
Old 27-Sep-2004, 21:24
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
noticed today that mine spins over failry quickly - been left, no optimate, for 2 weeks and started 1st press (3rd t/over). Go figure...
Old 28-Sep-2004, 00:00
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I posted something about starting problems before, not sure if its connected though.

Basically, if you've got an alarm / immobiliser, then you need to turn the bike off/on again after you've disabled the alarm after switching on. Its something to do with the fuel pump being disabled or something and not being initialised (as a security feature).

If that makes sense!!!
Old 28-Sep-2004, 01:33
Ducati Corse

Ducati John. Thanks for the info, much obliged

Bradders. Its because you're so much further south, closer to the equator, therefore its warmer and you oil is thinner so easier to start. (Actually theres an idea, because of the rocker wear issue instead of using 15/50 which most people prefer to 10/40, i've been using EP90 gearbox oil as engine oil as it'll be more viscous)

Rattler, it does have an alarm/immobilisor so i'll try that as well. In fact i may take the John Cleese approach if it ever happens again and trash it with a branch from a tree just like Fawlty Towers
Old 29-Sep-2004, 19:33
Mille

I had a similar problem with annettes 2000 SPS, I eventually traced it to a loose flywheel! this is after a 2 year service which cost nearly £1000, To identify if this is the fault you need to listen to the engine at idle, does it sound like noticeable clanging from the clutch?, like worn plates or clutch drum. If it does remove all the clutch plates from the drum and restart the bike and listen again if you still have that worn clutch rattle get the flywheel nut checked ( i also had to replace the shim behind the one way clutch bearing behind the clutch).

I hope this is not the cause but please check it as if the flywheel is loose it can damage the crankshaft!!

dave

[Edited on 29-9-2004 by DAVE HARRIS]
Old 29-Nov-2004, 02:53
Ducati Corse

Well, Well, Well, (3 holes in the ground)

Dare i admit to a very simple solution

Spoke to the lovely Nelly and he said 'Bugger orf Duck and leave me alone' but also added have you tried just taking a fraction of a turn out of the slack on the throttle cable.

Err, no says I.

Sceptical BDG does as told and Bingo, it starts a treat over the course of the next few attempts.

Being untrustworthy of such a simple solution i ignore the bike for 3 weeks then creep in the garage and stick key in and it fires up really easily.

Would appear that with a fraction too much slack in throttle cable the cold start/ fast idle button under the throttle doesn't quite open throttle enough to get it to start.

It may sound daft and simple, but seems to have worked and if it saves one other person a bit of agg then thats good news.

Then went for a lovely but COLD & WET 60 mile thrash in the dark

Then we all live happily ever after, Sunderland get promoted, win the League Cup, FA Cup and the Egg Cup.

[Edited on 29-11-2004 by BDG]
Old 29-Nov-2004, 11:12
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
I guess I must be lucky with mine...

Took it out Saturday morning for the first time in nearly 2 months - started first press of the button.

Always starts first or second go.

(Unlike the Superlight which is a b*gger to start if left to stand for any time)

[Edited on 29-11-2004 by beancounter]
Old 29-Nov-2004, 17:20
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
There does seen to be a "knack" to starting some 'catis. A healthy battery is very important when waking a beast from a long slumber!! One thing I do know, a bump start isn't an option!!

Some interesting ideas to try next time I'm in oh dear I'm gonna have to go on a DSC rideout on a H0nda panic mode!!

It will be interesting to see how the factory get on as they have fitted starters to the 2005 WSB bikes??

Ray