Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 22-Oct-2006, 10:27
Ducati Meccanica

Anyone is shipping/container business ?

Couple of questions if I may ?

Inside a container - is the floor flat and solid - ie no tie down points ? Are there any hooks or tie points on the side walls ?

Are they fairly watertight ? 33 days at sea !

Does anyone have any inventive suggestions of how to secure 4 bikes inside a container with no tie down points and still leave room for me furniture and boxes ?

Current option seems to be put all 4 bikes side by side, seperated with mattresses then tie the whole lot together making one big package so to speak. ( this worries me a bit )

Have looked into crating the bikes but cost is prohibitive on 4 bikes and it would take up much more room than I have available in a 20ft container.
Old 22-Oct-2006, 10:37
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix n max
Couple of questions if I may ?

Inside a container - is the floor flat and solid - ie no tie down points ? Are there any hooks or tie points on the side walls ?

Are they fairly watertight ? 33 days at sea !

Does anyone have any inventive suggestions of how to secure 4 bikes inside a container with no tie down points and still leave room for me furniture and boxes ?

Current option seems to be put all 4 bikes side by side, seperated with mattresses then tie the whole lot together making one big package so to speak. ( this worries me a bit )

Have looked into crating the bikes but cost is prohibitive on 4 bikes and it would take up much more room than I have available in a 20ft container.

The floor is flat and very solid, I have sean some with tie downs, & most are fairly watertight.

If there arn't any tie down points make your own put some ply on the floor & fix points to it.

Or go to a bike dealer & scrounge his used crates my help.
Old 22-Oct-2006, 10:44
Ducati Meccanica

Ok - see what you're saying about making own on ply sheet - problem is for me - container is arriving at my house and i've only 2 hours to load it and the drivers unable to help ( h & s or sommat ) but i'll look into that option - I guess i'd have to screw the ply sheets to the existing floor.
Thanks
Old 22-Oct-2006, 10:47
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Hopefull
Lin
A friend of mine just moved to NZ he took all his stuff including a sailing dinghy on a trailer. The container hire company did all the loading he never had to touch a thing. Also he found that the cost of a full size container was not much more than the smaller ones, so he got one of these which saved him the hassel of selling stuff he did not want to.

Mike
Old 22-Oct-2006, 11:03
888 at Last !!!

Mood: IF IN DOUBT..GET BLAGGING.
Most shipping containers have a very solid,thick(30mm) plywood floor, tie down points in each corner and spaced out along the length of the container.