Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-May-2005, 12:36
500SD

I have no idea why the swing arm was changed. It was done from nearly new I understand by the first owner. I have the original, along with original exhausts, seat etc and it is ok and not crash damaged. I like the look of the metmachex and chain adjustment is a doddle.
Whatever, I am very happy with it. Good torque and drive out of corners. Seems to do a lot with not much power in comparison to say a sports 600. My last bike was a '76' z900. Nice bike to look at but very very heavy with a hinge somewhere in the middle of the frame. The SS could not be more different.
Old 25-May-2005, 13:07
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Excellent, glad the mods have been done for all the right reasons!

Riding a twin (esp after a UJM) certainly takes some getting used to I believe.

Does anyone do a 750 big bore, high comp conversion

Cheers - Frank
Old 25-May-2005, 14:49
500SD

The riding position is what takes the most getting used to after the sit up and beg zed. I now have mirrors that don't vibrate too much, unfortunately they only show my elbows. I think the zed got more admiring glances from the public though....I used to have one of those....
Old 25-May-2005, 14:56
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by Herb
I used to have one of those....
*sniff* *sniff*...... Sounds like it didn't last long enough.....

Lovely bikes though, and a classic (hence the admiring looks). Used to ride a z650 for a while. Lovely engine but every other component seemed to be made from plasticine. You've kind of come to the other end of the scale now. Not much power but the frame, suspension and brakes couldn't be much better. Get her on track and you'll see where the money was spent.

Cheers,

ali
Old 25-May-2005, 15:03
500SD

The 'I used to have one of those' quote was the common quote from various old boys who used to come up and chat whenever you parked up.

It was nice for a while but I wanted something that handled and stopped.
You try stopping 550lbs of bike plus my bulk with a single disc, single piston caliper. Hard to believe it was once state of the art.

The brakes on the SS are a revelation. On the first ride I used my normal braking distance and had to accelarate again or I would not have made it to the junction. I am hooked already.
Old 26-May-2005, 13:34
500SD

Well, my membership application + cheque went in the post this morning.

I have found out a bit more about the bike after studying the documents. The first owner had the solo seat, F1 carbon cans, dynojet 2 and K+N fitted at the PDI. The rear floating brake kit was bought from Baines and was fitted shortly after along with the swing arm.
Old 26-May-2005, 13:51
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Sounds like a very well sorted SS. All the right mods with money spent where it'll have the most effect (except the bling swingarm!). I twigged yesterday that the floating brake must have been done with the swinger as the metmachex item doesn't have the lug to hold the fixed unit.

I've been sorely tempted by a metmachex 'arm for some time now but can't quite seem to find the reddies to buy one. Maybe after the DD racing I'll treat the road bike to one for xmas!

Cheers,

Ali
Old 26-May-2005, 15:56
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Great - another cool SS enters the fold.

Long may this continue.

Lots of info here on the SS models (especially now the Desmodue series is in full swing) + lots and lots of othe good info sites.

If I ever get my act together - I put some of the good ones in here.

Frank