Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-May-2004, 10:33

Just to finish of this thread.... The bike was that bad on saturday that it spluttered out going up a slight hill on nearly full throttle opening, so i managed to get it home and changed the fuel filter, then took the bike out again......Exactly the bloody same...so a trip down to halfords in a last ditch attempt at curing it and bought a bottle of STP injecter cleaner, which has absolutley cured it, no hesitations or coughing all weekend, i cant believe all it was, was a dirty fuel injecter!!! Ive had this problem for a year now.

Anyway thanks for your help!!

Cheers

Mark.
Old 16-Jun-2004, 23:51

Well, i thought id fixed it but it's back with a vengance.!!
Not only is it still coughing, but it's now spluttered out twice now like it is bogging down and cutting out.
Tonight i was just accelerating away from a roundabout first, second gear into third and total loss of power as if someone had hit the kill switch, wouldnt accelerate at all, i thought id blown the engine or the chain had come off the sprocket or something, strange also the fuel pressure warning light came on but the bike was still ticking over as i came to rest, i switched the bike off, checked round it, ok then restarted it and was fine again no problems.

Has anyone any ideas of what this could be, im coming to a lose end and feel like selling the bike.

Thanks

Mark.
Old 17-Jun-2004, 00:01

Mood: ..runnin on fumes....
Hi there

..it's a bit of a long shot, but I had an experience where the bike would feel as if it was gathering itself under me, and then backfire as if to clear... turned out to be a bad earth connection, which was cured by a wire brush to all the straps... like i said it's a long shot but I was amazed that such a 'simple' thing could have such a dramatic effect

Cheers

Dano
Old 17-Jun-2004, 11:05

Cheers for the reply Dano,

I'll give that a try, ive tried everything else.....

Cheers

Mark.
Old 17-Jun-2004, 15:16
Big Twin

hmmm,
Like Dano I too had similar problem with electrical connection, mine was on 906.
It was the neutral battery connection which looked as though it was secure but when I nudged the battery the neutral was obviously moving at a different pace.
Acceleration in straight line was causing battery to move in it's holder and the neutral to battery terminal was dirty as well as being not so tight.
Hence, the race from the lights was OK upto about 100 yards when it then started to act like a kangaroo.
best of luck
Old 17-Jun-2004, 23:08
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
If it's always at the same rev range it could be the Throttle Position Sensor, that's what it was on my bike when it had similar 5000 rpm-ish problems.

It's only a potentiometer that tells the ECU what position the throttle is at, and the tracks tend to get dirty or cracked. It's also temperature sensitive and gets worse when it's hot
Old 18-Jun-2004, 02:52
500SD

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with my injected ss, been told it the butterfly valve adjustment. Caused by Ducati Performance Cans...
getting it sorted next week!
Old 18-Jun-2004, 09:15
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
I thought I'd best chime in here. ...

I've got the same thing happening too! Although not to the point the engine cuts out.

I've heard that it may be something to do with air getting in amongst the exhaust gases because the SS performance cans just slip in and perhaps aren;t a true snug fit.

I had my throttle sensor adjusted last service and it seemed to make acceleration better, but didn't fix the "hesitation" and "popping."

It only seems to happen in the hotter weather - I can't remember it happening much over winter at all. It also happens at approx the 4200 - 4500 rpm range. I fixed this to some extent by not riding with the revs in this range for any extended period of time - I ride generally at about 5000rpm now if the hesitation is happening a lot.

Phill
Old 18-Jun-2004, 11:17

Ok thanks Chaps,

The bike goes in next month for some warranty work, so i will pass on your suggestions to them....see if i can get it sorted, the hesitation i can probably just about live with, but when it starts dying on me it's getting rather dangerous!

I will probably clean up the battery terminals myself this weekend as per guest1's suggestion as a starting point.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Mark.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 00:13
Montjuic

Check my thread entitled 'Help! Sick 900ss!', Mark- I had (have) the same problem on mine, though it's more like 3-3500 rpm.

Unclip the throttle sensor plug from the left side of the bike; you will notice greeny corrosion on the centre pin/socket, which can be scraped of with a small screwdriver or spark plug wire brush.

This will sort out the bike for a while. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to clean the contacts completely as the engine would need to be removed from the frame to remove the housing, so the problem will come back fairly soon. I'm changing my plugs next, which should help...

Whereabouts in Hull do you live? I grew up there! (East Hull)

[Edited on 11-7-2004 by 3narf]