Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Jun-2004, 14:19

Mood: ..runnin on fumes....

Hi There

Just found this place after rooting around for a decent one to join - looks like i found home

I'm on my 3rd 900ss (the other two having been nicked) - this ones a half faired '91 that I've had for a few years, most of it spent at the back of a mates garage due to work/kids etc... stock engine, 916 single seat conversion, hi level carbon micron race cans, powerbronze twin spot fairing conversion - all my mates ride japo's and dont quite get why i dont do the same... but that's their problem hehe.

It's done 15000 miles from new and seems to have quite enjoyed it's little rest because after going right over the obvious stuff (earth straps and the like) it is running very well, if a little lumpy and poppy low down, but I'm putting that down to carb balance cos that's yet to be done - got a couple of questions tho that someone might be able to answer....

..first off when I was scanning through the message board i read one about the top tank vent valve arrow pointing towards the front and not into the tank.. I'd been told that it was the other way round by the (not so local) duke garage! - and had it fitted that way... I've turned it round to see what happens but havent yet had a chance to give it a proper run to see... the valve itself is working fine (blow without resistance one way, and slight the other) but what would i notice if this were fitted backwards ?

Also the bike seems to be leaning out or losing power further up the rev range - the other ones I had would storm clean to 9000 in pretty much any gear, but this one seems to struggle from about 7500 onward - any suggestions where to start with that ?

Next on my list of addons is a stage 2 dynajet/k&n/open box upgrade but having owned 900's that performed better than this one I dont want to resort to using that as a 'fix' for poor performance, but would rather get the bike running best stock first...

Lastly my monoshock is leaking and will probably have to be replaced... mainly because it has no identifying marks so I dont know what it is! - maybe someone has seen one.. it's got a blue spring and chrome body with a single rebound damping adjuster at the top which is a round chrome knob ??.. it appears to work quite well, I stripped the spring off at the weekend and the ram itself works fine despite the leak (which is only very slight at the moment, but I'm expecting it to fail when all the oil is gone) - if I cant identify it can anyone recommend a good aftermarket replacement... I've had white power and bitubo in the past and liked them both but would be interested in opinions.

..sorry for the long first post.... beats the hell out of 'hi.. I'm a newbie'

..oh - I'm in the wilds of bonnie scotland (where god hid all the good tarmac) - so if there's any other Northern members giz a shout

Cheers all

Dano
Old 10-Jun-2004, 15:10
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
welcome,

dont know if trackdays are your thing but we have a couple coming up, cadwell and rockingham later in the year which is just for DCS paid up members. great days and good to meet up with some of the people on the board if you want to travel down for either one.

enjoy.
Old 10-Jun-2004, 15:38
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Welcome Dan, sorry I can't help you out as I ride a 4V FI machine.

You will get a lot out of this club and there are some geniuses when it comes to knowing the bikes, I'm sure one of them will be along sooner or later to tell you exactly what you need to do ..

Good luck, maybe see you at Rockingham for the DSC track day?

TP
Old 10-Jun-2004, 15:52
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Hi and welcome fellow SS dude.
I suspect by the morning there will be loads of answers for you if not sooner. The depth of Ducati knowledge in the club is amazing, no matter how obscure the question someone always has the answer or can point you in the right direction.
Old 10-Jun-2004, 16:35
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Hi Dan
Have just replaced the shock on my ss with a second hand showa one from ebay,it was looked over and serviced by Graeme Bell,who workes behind Ducati glasgow though isnt connected to them.
Though the blue spring was different from my old one the knurled knob suggests it may be a sachs unit,which I'm told are not rebuildable or at least difficult to rebuild.It may be worth trawling through ebay where I've found this:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d... STRK:MEWA:IT

Anyway,welcome aboard,and give scottch a shout as he does try to get us together now and then.
And god may indeed have hidden all the good tarmac up here but the devil washes them every day!
Whereabouts are you anyway?

[Edited on 10-6-2004 by Dave G]
Old 10-Jun-2004, 18:01
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
Welcome Dan.

Sorry no expierience with SS'S,but as others have said,somebody on the message board or in the club will have the answers you require!!
Old 10-Jun-2004, 18:38
500SD

Mood: Bonjour Bonjour we are the Billy
Another Welcome Dan,

As Dave said give Scottch a shout he will see you right regards Days out etc.

There are a few members up North Yellowisfriedegg is one that springs to mind.

Have a look under the links page on the main DSC website for the Scottish link.

Ducati Glasgow have been doing some track days if you are that way inclined, the last was at Knockhill a few weeks ago. It gave me a chance to meet some of the guys being new myself.

Have not got a clue about SS's either but one of the closet experts will help i am sure.

Regards

ScottyB
Old 10-Jun-2004, 22:26
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Hello...
Old 10-Jun-2004, 22:32
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Greetings

Be very wary of strange women with pix of blokes flashing bums

Welcome to the fold, its good
Old 10-Jun-2004, 22:39
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
I guessed Kwikbitch would say Hi to a new guy....
Hey m8, ive a 900 ssie and Ive also got a spare rear shock if your interested.
The current one has been reworked by K-Tec in Coalville, Leicestershire
Im on 17000 at the mo and Nelly (Neil) at Cornerspeed looks after all my servicing and other (bling) needs
ask the guy...........he's just fab with Dukes of any sort and can prob answer yer questions
Welcome aboard and for 25 notes for the first year and 20 notes after that each year, membership is a MUST as there are discounts to be had at many places
If you are ever down in Notts/Leics area let us know and the Notts area DSC group will make you feel real welcome
bestest
in a real blooo mood (and thats good, very good)
mort