Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Oct-2004, 18:21
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by paulmort
Would progressive ohlins springs/oil help out and what benefits again would I see
Rgds
Mort

Do you mean Progressive or Ohlins, I avoid progressive wound springs which companies like Progressive suspension and WP make as I prefer single rate Springs as supplied by Ohlins.
What you would benifit from depends on what you use the bike for as most come from the factory as a compromise on the suspension. Not only are they mass produced to meet a certain price they also quite have to deal with varying loads, anywhere from a rider of Lisa's weight to somebody like Bradders (Paul get on and try a 8kg/mm rear spring) or maybe rider and passenger with a combined weight in excess of 25 stone.

If you have a single seater that is solely used on the track then its easier to make a decision on what suspension setup to run. If you have a two seater that does everything from touring to the occasional trackday then the standard suspension in good condition could well be the best compromise.
Old 03-Oct-2004, 18:34
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
Kev
Only use Blooduke for single seat use, fast road/inters on track
Just wanted to improve the beastie, as Im likely to have some more engine work done this winter and wanted to get suspension well sorted at same time if she's gonna be off the road
Its the only thing Ive not tinkered with (as I dont understand it at all) but had Colin at Shockwave set it up earlier this year.
Thought new front springs and a better or reworked rear would help
rgds
mort
Old 03-Oct-2004, 19:47
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by paulmort
Thought new front springs and a better or reworked rear would help
rgds
mort

They probably will especially if you keep intending to push the bike harder and harder the longer you have it.
I try to get a balanced feel to my bikes, I don't like them seesawing, if I hit the brakes I want the front to dip but don't like the rear rising on the suspension to much, if I brake hard enough it will still get the rear wheel off the ground. And when I get on the throttle the backend doesnt squat to much and the front has a nice controlled rise to it.
In real terms this means I like my bike set up fairly stiff ( with regards my body weight) with a slightly forward weight bias about 50.5% front and 49.5% on the rear.
My current road 916 has reworked forks to race spec, the Penske shock is also race spec, forks are slightly through the yokes and the rear wheel is run a little futher back in the arm than standard. The light weight wheels also help.
Old 04-Oct-2004, 00:48

Mood: ..runnin on fumes....
Hi

..can't really add much to the discussion other than to say och aye - I'm a wee bit north of Dundee, and I do indeed currently have Paulmort's stock ssie shocker fitted... dunno about improvement over anything else but it's deffo better than the EMC aftermarket jobbie that came with the bike...

..only problem is that I've only done about 500 miles with it due to an untimely chain let-go about a week after fitting up a new Stage 2 dyno kit and some other goodies, which smashed the casings and forced a complete stripdown rebuild (currently ongoing) ... so not much info other than to say... don't hold yer breath on the reworking thingy hehe... pending an amiable negotiation sesh with Mort, it'll be staying right where it is - as shockers go u could do worse

Cheers

Dano

[Edited on 3-10-2004 by DanShapotsky]
Old 04-Oct-2004, 01:53
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

And just to add more confusion.....

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/...-shockFox.html

F
Old 04-Oct-2004, 10:56
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by Iconic944ss
And just to add more confusion.....

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/...-shockFox.html

F

Lovely shock, but if I met anyone that did such depraved things to a duke I'd slap 'em once, walk away, buy an assault rifle, and come back shootin'.....
Old 04-Oct-2004, 11:04
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
The back end of Peers bike certainly looks like it's been soundly beaten with the ugly stick.

His concept bike looks pretty damned mean mind http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/...0Progetto.html . Again those pipes though do nothing for me....
Old 04-Oct-2004, 11:25
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Penske shox seems to be rated highly esp by Ca Cycleworks....would they be any cheaper from the USA I wonder???

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/ca...i/chassis.html
Old 04-Oct-2004, 19:23
MotoGP God

Shock lengthened by 13mm and revalved
http://www.mindspring.com/~robwilson/id2.html
Old 04-Oct-2004, 19:36
MotoGP God

At the prices on the Lindemann engineering site I would settle for the Fod Twin Clicker or the Penske 2-way.
I have used both and would be happy to recommend either. I still have the Fox unit for my Harris.

http://www.le-suspension.com/catalog...t.php?cPath=22