Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Oct-2005, 18:56
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
888 valves/rockers

Hi Guys,

Sorry, but yet another question for you all! I've now checked all my valve gaps and not one is within spec according to the Ducati manual I have! I'm assuming (and rather hoping) it is deemed acceptable to work to the later (less strict) gaps for the 916? Either that or the bike has clearly been poorly serviced in the past! My closer clearances are all 4 to 5 thou (0.10 to 0.14mm) whilst my manual stipulates 2 to 3 thou (0.05 to 0.08mm) ie mine are about double what they should be. The exhaust opener gaps are a little tighter than the spec ie they are 4 to 5 thou compared to the specs of 6 to 7 thou. Similarly the inlet opener gaps are also a little tighter at 2 to 3 thou compared to the specs of 4 to 5 thou. Any feedback on what is acceptable would be much appreciated. I certainly don't mind having a go at increasing the opener gaps but doing the closer shims doesn't look fun!!

Also, are the 888 rockers completely free from the flaking chrome problem of the later bikes or should I pull the cams to check?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 31-Oct-2005, 19:02
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The later spec's superceded the earlier measurements and now apply to all 4V motors. ('strettas use different values)
It's better to work closer to the older dimensions though.
888 rockers are much less prone to flaking, but it does happen. You'll need the cams out to do any shimming anyhow, but it's always worth doing for the sake of a few o-rings, gaskets and half an hour
Old 31-Oct-2005, 19:14
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
Thanks Nelly. In that case, I'll leave the closers for another winter (when I have not got quite so many other things to do) but I will do the 2 tight openers and pull the cams to check the rockers. I suspect it might take me more than half an hour though....

Keith