Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Dec-2003, 00:15
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Hopefully one day I will get around to plotting the linkage ratio, by measuring wheel travel against damper rod travel through each millimeter of its movement. That information will then allow me to determine the best spring to use when other factors are being considered, such as weight bias, swingarm length, amount of wheel travel, wheel weight and alike. Even top speed sometimes has to be allowed for.
But as I pick up a Kawasaki ZXR400 road bike tomorrow to start preping for next years lightweight TT, its suspension is going to need looking at closely to see what we need to do to it, as I'm getting fed up with my mate collecting Bronze replicas and hope to build a bike capable of bringing home a silver replica. Would be a ideal project to feature in Pronto if it was a Duke we were preping.
Old 20-Dec-2003, 11:12
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
But as I pick up a Kawasaki ZXR400 road bike tomorrow to start preping for next years lightweight TT, its suspension is going to need looking at closely to see what we need to do to it, as I'm getting fed up with my mate collecting Bronze replicas and hope to build a bike capable of bringing home a silver replica. Would be a ideal project to feature in Pronto if it was a Duke we were preping. [/quote]

I raced a ZXR400 the other year, I had different length bottem suspension linkages & a technoflex rear shock, with K-Tech also doing the front forks, they basicaly ditch all the internals, put 600 springs in , new rods & cartridge.

The linkages help soften the rear and allow the shock to work to its best ability, Give Chris a ring at K-tech, think the number is 01530 810625, they are in Coalvile near Leicester.

http://www.k-tech.uk.com/

Just got details on the linkages, they are made by NWS, the originals are made for two up riding, the NWS are purely for racing & make the suspension more progressive, dimensionly i am led to believe that the Chassis side is shorter, the shock side is longer & the angle is moved from 17 degrees to 18 1/2 degrees.

Another good mod is the use of ZXR600 f & early G model calipers. The pistons on the ZXR400 are 27mm in diameter, the ZXR600 are 30mm in diameter, also the ZXR400sp uses a mixed caliper, front piston is 27mm & rear is 30mm. The calipers are the sameshape size etc as the 400`s so bolt straight on.

A very good ZXR400 tuner (has done many bikes for the Manx & TT is Shaun Webster of R & S Performance in Worksop(01909 482670).

Chris.

[Edited on 20-12-2003 by chris.p]

[Edited on 20-12-2003 by chris.p]
Old 20-Dec-2003, 14:45
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Skidlids
I got a Zx400 rear linkage from NWS a few years back to help a raod bike (zx400)
put it on then took it of when selling the bike ,it did help the rear but then it upset the front as i left that std ,
I will see if i can find it , might be of some use ??
Old 20-Dec-2003, 17:17
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Cheers Totto, that could well come in Handy, When I had a ZXR750J years ago I replaced the rocker linkage with one off a later model and also fitted a Fox shock for a much improved ride.
Chris thanks for the info, there's a lot to do to turn this accident damaged road bike into a bike capable of a top 10 finish at the TT, but tahts the goal.
just got back from Romford with the 400 and for the money its a hell of a good deal, for a few quid it could be back on the road, which means it would then owe me £1100 which isn't bad for a N reg ZXR400, with Tax, MOT and alarmed.
Time to startsurfing the net and gathering info. Better start selling the odd Ducati and some of the spares to fund it.
Kev
Old 20-Dec-2003, 18:02
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Kev,
I know a bloke who makes rearsets & crash bobbins for the ZXR400, they are the ones that Race Products & a lot of the Paddock sales vans sell, can get them for you inc P&P for £95 for the rear sets & £30 for the crash bobbins, do both together & i will sort it for £120.

Shaun Webster is definaitly the guy for the tuning, he will advise what is needed & will then do what you want.
His engines are well reliable, will end the season with the same bhp as started.

For fairings give Dave a ring at H C Racetech, all mounting points fully reinforced with carbon, 01522 702800

Chris.