Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Nov-2006, 15:53
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Thumbs up Error code 19.2

Had a nice bimble to John Henry's this morning, to meet up with the Sussex DSC contingent and the visitors from Hampshire and Surrey Regions. Good to see the guys, it was, had a great chat with Paul Psychlist and Eddie. Lovely breakfast, too.
On the way back, my EOBD light came on. Not a completely unusual occurence, except this time it didn't shut off after a few miles the way it usually does. I came to a level crossing with the gates down, so I decided, with only a hint of trepidation, to switch the engine off and check the code. 19.2, didn't know what that meant, so I decided to press on. Switch on ignition, fuel pump primes and ... nothing. No turning over of the engine, no starter solenoid clicking, nothing. Hmmm. I checked the fuses and sure enough, one of the 20amp jobs has blown. It's then I realised that I hadn't brought my survival pack with me, so I have no spare fuse to try. Booger.
A quick call to Ducati Rescue, and 45 minutes later, Mr Rescue comes along and gives me another fuse to try (plus another spare, just in case). Bike starts fine, but wait, there's that EOBD light again. OK, no switching off 'til I get home (no big deal, it's only about five miles) ...
Checking my manual when I get home, I find out that 19.2 refers to Solenoid Shorting to Earth. Off with the side panel, out with the battery and holder, check the block connector to the solenoid - yikes it was messy in there! Out with the electrical connector cleaning spray, a bit of FS365 to coat it all. Another 20amp fuse goes in to replace the second blown one, everything back together again and ... bike starts fine, no EOBD light and Robert is your auntie's brother.
I wouldn't have been able to sort all this out without, well Ducati Rescue cos I forgot my spare fuses, but most importantly, the expertise I am able to acquire (slowly, cos I'm a numpty) via The Ducati Sporting Club and the helpful and knowledgeable folks who are its members.
Cheers, everyone!

Old 19-Nov-2006, 17:32
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Good one, glad it all turned out for the best and the best part of the DSC came to the rescue again.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 18:24
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Nice one Loz.
A great advert for this club and message board.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 18:43
Big Twin

Mood: Bike or Yacht..... tough choice on sunny day ;-)
Inspiration !`

This is what the message board is for ! :-)

Previously if i had a EOBD light up on my bike i would be too scared to ride it home, but i am slowly coming to realise that this is part of the joy of ownership....

Steve
Old 19-Nov-2006, 18:57
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Happiness is a benign EOBD light.
Remember - an EOBD light is for life, not just for Christmas.
An EOBD light in time, saves £900 at the dealer.
When Buddha contemplated the EOBD light, he came away enlightened.

Oh yes, definite joy of ownership there!