Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Jul-2009, 01:15
GTL

Thumbs down Huston we have a problem

Had a great ride to the Buell day today but did have trouble selecting/changing gear on occasion.
After the breki stop the problem seemed to be gone although gear shifts didn’t feel quite like they should. Having a nose around the bike before I put it away and… KINHELL . I reckon I may have done over 100 miles like this. Luckily no significant oil loss or any sprayed on the tyre, pic is just as I found it. Anyone else had this happen? ,seen it before…or is it just me again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize bolt pic.jpg (407.6 KB, 130 views)
Old 19-Jul-2009, 08:08
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Blimey,.....never seen that happen before. You were lucky there mate.
Old 19-Jul-2009, 10:46
500SD

Mood: happy
Glad you found the prob Ian,I've Never see anything like that,It must have been only finger tight from new .you were lucky it didn't chuck oil on the back tyre.
Old 19-Jul-2009, 11:33
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
i think i might be able to help. if you look at the photo there is a bolt loose near the back of the engine, just above is a hole. put bolt back in hole and retighten. should solve problem
lucky escape ian.
sorry i didn't make it out with you lot, had promised to start tidying garage.
Old 19-Jul-2009, 12:34
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Well at least you've found the problem Ian. Just checked in the workshop manual for you and there is meant to be a detent ball and a spring under that bolt so do check that they are still there before refitting the bolt mate!

Thanks again for coming back (and Keefy) when I stopped yesterday, seem to have sorted my bike as well so back up to speed on the way home.

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 19-Jul-2009, 12:48
Shandy

That's weird, that was a bugger to undo when i took mine apart. I think i've still got the bolt, spring and the ball left over in a box somewhere. If you have lost the other bits and need replacements you can have mine for the cost of a jiffy bag and postage if i have still got them. Let me know if you need em and i will go see if i can find them.

Cheers,

Shandy
Old 19-Jul-2009, 13:03
Mille
Bikes: Anything I can get my hands on.

At least it's a cheap repair!
Old 20-Jul-2009, 22:29
GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy
That's weird, that was a bugger to undo when i took mine apart. I think i've still got the bolt, spring and the ball left over in a box somewhere. If you have lost the other bits and need replacements you can have mine for the cost of a jiffy bag and postage if i have still got them. Let me know if you need em and i will go see if i can find them.

Cheers,

Shandy
Ta for the offer Shandy but as the manual says I should replace the washer, i’ll just pick up a spring while I’m there, it’s the only bit that wasn’t still on the bike.
Old 20-Jul-2009, 22:54
GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn
i think i might be able to help. if you look at the photo there is a bolt loose near the back of the engine, just above is a hole. put bolt back in hole and retighten. should solve problem

I feel inadequate now, once it's been pointed out it's so obvious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul James
Well at least you've found the problem Ian. Just checked in the workshop manual for you and there is meant to be a detent ball and a spring under that bolt so do check that they are still there before refitting the bolt mate!

Thanks again for coming back (and Keefy) when I stopped yesterday, seem to have sorted my bike as well so back up to speed on the way home.
I had found the detent ball Paul, it’s rested between the front of the swing arm and engine case in the pic, the spring has long gone though.
No thanks needed for coming back mate….we had to….you had the cake glad you got it sorted out.
Old 21-Jul-2009, 03:08
Montjuic

Cor Lummy...thats a bit mad, I must resist the urge to run to the garage and check....must resist.....must .....resis.....Oh boolarks where's me slippers...........

seriously....... glad you never came a cropper could have been bad news dude

Last edited by Wulfie : 21-Jul-2009 at 03:13.