Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Oct-2003, 01:23
Big Twin

My clutch cover on the track bike is very similar to that one from Casoli but I have less vents.

It looks very tough and I would assume that it is able to take impact very well as well as scrubbing on the tarmac.... although I have never guinea-pigged that myself. Looks tougher to me than the standard cover as well.

It doesn't show the slipper clutch much, but what should you care. It is there for efficiency during downshifts, not posing value!!
Old 16-Oct-2003, 12:10
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Does anyone know how strong the standard ones are? I might use this, but it'll not allow much airflow, unless I space it out and it won't show the bloody expensive slipper!!!!

I remember there being a picture here a while ago from someone (and apologies for forgetting your name! ) who had drilled his standard cover to vent it.

It looked blinking good, so you might want to give that a try?
Old 16-Oct-2003, 12:17
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Ah, just found a pic on the old message board:

Thread is here:
http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/co...id=28&tid=6461
Old 16-Oct-2003, 14:15
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
I have this one fitted to my 998s and I think its a DP product.
Old 23-Oct-2003, 13:48

I have crash tested a standard clutch cover twice and both times snapped posts off the basket. One was a car park topple at 5mph so don't think it would fare any better in a "proper" crash.
Old 23-Oct-2003, 14:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
The standard covers are well known for being weak. Any "hole drilling" you do it only make matters worse. Rattler's picture of the nearly-failed Tecmoto one illustrates perfectly what happens. The end of the fairing gives way and the clutch cover beares the grunt. The problem with any metal clutch cover that has openings in it, is that ones "dented" the shear off the posts. Look at Antonye's picture. See how far the springs protude from the pressure plate? If that clutch cover gets "dented", which it will since it's a drilled stock cover, it will act like a saw blade on the spring posts.

I've had several lowsides on the track and have never damaged the clutch, even in my recent off at Oulton Park (where by the way the crash bungs were utterly useless and did more damage than good). I've had great success by reinforcing the fairing with additional kevlar around the area where is overlaps the clutch and using a "reinforced" carbon clutch cover. Yes, not all carbon clutch covers are made equally. One of the best features of a good carbon clutch cover is that it "springs" back and so won't stay dented and shear off your spring posts. I know some of you have had damaged your clutch with carbon covers. I use this one:
CarboTech part number MODU940611

They also make a waterpump protector for those left hander lowsides: MODU940519

I think Rhencullen is the UK distributor but JHP used to do them as well.
Old 23-Oct-2003, 15:41
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
I've tested the old style Tec Moto cover and it did it's job on a high speed low side into the gravel on Clearways at Brands. I had no hesitation in replacing it with another new item exactly the same.

BTW, the Tec Moto covers are exactly the same as the DP ones, just not as expensive