Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Oct-2003, 15:24
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Engine shagged?

Looking for opinions on how my engine might have fared during my recent off. What happened:
- Oil pump blanking plug rattled loose and fell off
- Oil pump was busy pumping oil all over back tyre. This happened on the start/finish straight at Oulton going flat out.
- Duly crashed into first turn. Tip over switch killed engine as soon as it hit the deck.
- After inspection, no grit was ingested and there appears to be some oil left in the sump (at bottom of sight window).

So, what does everyone think? Does it need a full strip or will the bottom end, pistons, barrels survive another season? Heads will get rebuilt anyways.

Cheers,
Felix
Old 19-Oct-2003, 15:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Felix if it was me I would get another blanking plug fitted, new oil and filter and run the bike up before stripping anything off the engine, You can usually tell when there's a big end problem and I can't see as you have much to loose by trying, if it all sounds similar to before the accident, the bottom end may well have survived unharmed,
Best of luck
Old 19-Oct-2003, 15:36
Ducati Meccanica

That's most likely what I'll do. It turns over OK (using a spanner) without any clunking noises or rough spots. Will also need to change the belts as they have quite a bit of muck and grass on them (no belt covers on race bikes).
Old 19-Oct-2003, 15:44
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
yep no harm in putting new belts on as they can be re-used after the heads have been rebuilt, give it a go and let us know how you get on.
Old 20-Oct-2003, 02:26
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Fingrs crossed Felix,

I would have thought that as you have some oil in the sightglass and were on the straight when it went, that you should be okay, but I just can't specify the difference between a road bike and your beast..!!!!!

On my 748R I would get it back on the road...but with yours.....hmmmm...... different kettle of fish with tolerances and workloads...surely...

Hope it's okay....I need to hear it flat out again soooooooooooon
Old 20-Oct-2003, 11:53
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
How you gunna hear any engine noise with that exhaust system of yours?

Its a touch on the loud side

Hope its all OK inside, you sound as if you have mended alright?
Old 20-Oct-2003, 12:46
Ducati Meccanica

Cheers, OY. Not a scratch on me. Right thumb still slightly sore, so the wifey is glad that I am left handed . Oh, and I need a new helmet.
Old 20-Oct-2003, 13:56
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Felix,

Its good you're still in one piece. If you're having the top end done it may be possible to do a guesstimate of any possible bottom end damage.

How much oil pressure did you get when she was fully warmed and running before the off. Does the data logging show this? Whats the reading now.

Do the bores look OK? How much Float in the big end, it might be possible to measure this with a dial gauge if you have the Barrells off.

Do you know anyone who could lend you borescope. You could have a poke about via any convenient orifice!!

There isn't any susbtitute for a full strip down, the price of a gasket set and some bearings and some labour?

All depnds on your invstigations and how you view the risk.

My own guess is that she won't have suffered any significant damage, if all of the above checks out, but there again it won't be my overdraft getting a blitz if a big blow up follows!

Ray
Old 20-Oct-2003, 15:57
Ducati Meccanica

All good suggestions, Ray. Unfortunately, I did not the data logger on board for once. On previous occasions, the oil pressure was spot on. It was actually the oil pressure sensor, which is screwed into the port that is blanked off on road bike, that fell off. So even with the data logger, it would have shown zero oil pressure. In reality, there would have some residual oil pressure, just don't know how much.

My plan is to:
1. Have a word with at least two engine gurus before doing anything.
2. Unless they recommend a strip down or inspection via scope first, I'll service the engine from the outside and run it to see what it's like.
3. Strip the top-end over the winter and inspect the bores/pistons and big end (through the conrod openings).
4. Will try hard to avoid splitting the cases.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'll keep you posted during the winter months. It just needs to be ready for next season, as I will be racing it with NewEra. Watch your back, WJB!
Old 20-Oct-2003, 16:13
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Felix,

Have sent a U2U from the "armchair engineer"

Ray