Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Oct-2003, 14:30
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Was frosty this morning not sure of temp but it started with out the button first time.

I think i'll use if it, won't go with out it for now.

Thanks

Lee1980
Old 24-Oct-2003, 18:13
Ducati Corse

I remember now Ant, i read about that years ago when i was building Mini engines. If you fit a really hot cam its possible to knock the lobes off if you let it tick over too slowly from new.
Old 24-Oct-2003, 18:43
Montjuic

Just a question for interest shazaam. Are the dukes you get over in sunny california very different to those over here in blighty? eg power and emission restrictions. AND if so what are the legalities of removing them to get a proper full blown bike?
Old 24-Oct-2003, 20:50
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

US/California Environmental Standards

Southern California, particularly around Los Angeles, has long had a severe air pollution problem because of the large number of vehicles, weather, and landscape topography. Over the years this has been a driving force for the State of California to institute more stringent exhaust emission standards than the rest of the U.S. So for a long time, there were two standards for pollution control equipment on vehicles sold here. One for vehicles sold in California, another less stringent one for the rest of the country. So, there are laws against a resident of California buying or importing a new bike that doesn't have emission equipment certified for California roads. Highly-polluting two-stroke bikes have long been outlawed on the roads here (they're legal for off-road use) although some enterprising blokes still get them on the road somehow.

In recent years Ducati has certified their models for sale in all the States so there's no equipment differences now. My guess is that most European countries have now instituted limits on motorcycle emissions that are the same as the U.S. since the manufacturers biggest market is here, so we essentially drive the standards development.

Motorcycles have always been regarded as a minor contributor to the overall magnitude of the problem. They produce fewer pollutants per mile than cars and trucks. But they're starting to get more attention from the regulators - witness the phasing-in of requirements for catalytic converters on new bikes like the 999.

So early Euro-spec superbikes, since they didn't have to meet any pollution standards, were shipped with different EPROMS that gave them richer fueling and more power than U.S. bikes. Some models had more radical cam timing that couldn't be certified for the U.S. market so you got those models, but we didn't.

The interesting part is that unlike automobiles and trucks, there's no tailpipe emission testing of motorcycles (yet) so it's illegal ... but no problem ... to replace EPROMs, raise compression ratios (higher NOx emissions). and remove charcoal canisters that trap evaporative hydrocarbons from the petrol tank and sump (although really there's no performance improvement in doing so.)

The other regulations concern noise emissions. The federal government's Environmental Protection Agency establishes limits on noise levels for every vehicle that's imported. So mufflers (silencers) and air intake noise reducers (like those rubber venturi blocks on late-model superbikes) are installed.

Automobiles and trucks are regularly scheduled to be tested for excessive exhaust noise in order to be licensed, but motorcycles as yet are not. So, if you get stopped for a traffic violation, you'll probably also get a fix-it ticket for defective equipment that gives you a month or so to quiet-down the exhaust. Consequently, the streets here are rich with Harleys having straight-through exhausts that sound like the HAMMERS OF HELL. Here in California, the ultimate car culture, every kid with a Honda Civic has an exhaust pipe the size of a coffee can. But I digress.
Old 25-Oct-2003, 18:08

Mood: peachy as a peach from peachvill
Thats where I remember it from as well rockhopper when I built my 1380 mini engine!
Old 25-Oct-2003, 20:39
Ducati Corse

Thats right Ant. I bought David Vizards book about building A series engines. 751 cam and 12G295 cooper head with double valve springs. Drove like a two stroke bike with a deffinate power band when it came onto the cam.

Happy days.
Old 26-Oct-2003, 12:59

I still have the book and an rc40 exhaust.......
Old 26-Oct-2003, 13:26
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
So what...........

..........was the 12G2940 head? Was this the cooper S one?

Blimey, this is taking me back!!!
Old 26-Oct-2003, 17:11
Ducati Corse

The 12G295 was fitted to the 998 cooper (coincidence or what!!), the 1098 MG and some marques of Miget and Sprite. It had larger valves that standard and double valve springs allowing to rev higer. Take the rocker cover off and the head number is cast into the surface.
I didnt go the RC40 route, i had a Peco big bore one coming out of the middle with twin chrome tail pipes. Loads of noise!
Old 26-Oct-2003, 19:49

But the microbore pipe before it.....