Old 21-Oct-2003, 23:29
Mille

Mood: 748r god what a sight drool droo
748r or sp

whats the diff between a r and a sp
do they both have ohlins etc im sure some one can tell me
Old 22-Oct-2003, 00:01
Ducati Corse

748sp's don't have ohlins front forks or slipper clutches for a start.
Old 22-Oct-2003, 01:47
500SD

The short answer is lots! 748R has even lighter subframe (thinner walled tube, prone to fracturing on MY00 bikes, Ducati will replace even if out of warranty), titanium conrods, big valve heads, 54mm throttle bodies with shower type injectors (50mm on SP with standard injectors), frame is different to allow for much bigger airbox (748R has largest airbox of all road going Ducs), slipper clutch (however only three "friction" ramps as opposed to the 6 ball bearing ramps on proper race type) and they all come with 5 spoke Marchesini wheels. There are tons of other small differences as well.

A few differences between model years for 748R. Main ones being MY00 has Showa front and rear, MY01 & 02 have Ohlins. MY01 & 02 also came with the Brembo 4 pot 4 pad calipers (huge improvement!), MY01 & 02 have carbon airbox and the MY02 has 998 style bodywork and some came with an Ohlins steering damper.

Having owned both an SP and an R, I can confidently report that they are both outstanding bikes. The SP is probably the easier bike to live with, the R can be quite hard work. Performance wise there's very little in it although if you were planning on tuning for big BHP the R would be the place to start. Essentially the 748R is a detuned 748RS rather than a 748RS being a tuned 748R. That's also the reason why they are a bit of a bu99er to live with. If you ask any Ducati expert, they'll tell you that the 748R is the hardest bike to set up properly.

If you are looking to buy one of the above feel free to drop me a line and I'll try to fill in any blanks.

Cheers,

Neil.

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by neil748r]