Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Feb-2006, 18:02
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
When does 888 bling become tacky

OK, so I've got my 888 Strada, I feel a slow burning project coming on adding trick bits as and when I can afford it.

Here's the criteria. I don't really want to put any old tat on it, I only want to put stuff on that is true to the original character of the bike.

"So no Iridium screen then Jools?"

Jools: "Feck off rodent, I wouldn't do that to any bike"

On the other hand, original performance parts for 888's are getting scarce and it's generally accepted that Sil Motor's are a good substitute for Termis.

I'd also hate to have to track down an original pair of Marvics, even if they hadn't crumbled into dust by now, so what would a good alternative be? Obviously, chrome plated 10 spokes are out of the question but 5 spoke Marchi's, or Marvic Penta's? How about a set of Dymags?

I suppose what I'm asking is that, since it's my bike, I could fit whatever made me happy with it, but I'm interested in other peoples take.

Are you happy with high quality replacements or does everything have to have the right stickers on for the purists?

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention...I won't be doing anything that can't be undone, I will be keeping all the original bits wrapped in cotton wool so that it can be returned to it's original state if needed

[Edited on 17-2-2006 by Jools]
Old 17-Feb-2006, 18:21
Mille

I think upgrades should be in the spirit of what could be done at the time, but not neccesarily actual old parts if the parts can be seen. As you said elsewhere these are 15 year old bikes.

A radial caliper conversion, or even a set of 4 pad calipers? No, I couldn't do it either. I have wondered what a set of 4 pads looks like painted black though. Might just disappear. The radial pump master cylinder was used at the time so no problem there.

SPS spec ST4S engine? You would have to look very close to tell. I would love to do it.
Old 17-Feb-2006, 18:26
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I would probably get whatever fitted the criteria of:

1) being available at reasonable money
2) fitting and suiting the bike
3) being reversible

So Sil-Motor cans would be fine, as would 5 spoke Marchesinis from a 998 (if they fit, or can be made to fit). If it looks good and fits the above, then go for it! I think if you can add some modern updates it will not make the bike look like an early nineties bling machine, but be something out of the ordinary.
Old 17-Feb-2006, 18:36
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
hmmm, I guess there won't be many that like my bike then , with it's 5 spoke black marchesini's, ohlins road & track forks, 4 pad calipers, harris yokes etc...
I guess that the jury will be out until a few of the forum members have seen her and voiced opinions, but the crunch is that - up to now I think she's looking great - unlike you guys this set of modifications is a 1 way street for me.
Old 17-Feb-2006, 18:49
Mille

Got any pictures Neil? I would love to be corrected since I have a spare set of 4 pad calipers sitting around. I was seriously thinking of painting them black as camoflague.

I put a set on the SPS with a PI radial master and the brakes are excellent now.
Old 17-Feb-2006, 19:08
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Interesting comments:

"1. Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention...I won't be doing anything that can't be undone, I will be keeping all the original bits wrapped in cotton wool so that it can be returned to it's original state if needed

2. 5 spoke Marchesinis from a 998 (if they fit, or can be made to fit).

3. since I have a spare set of 4 pad calipers sitting around. I was seriously thinking of painting them black as camoflague. "

1. Hmm. I started out that way, now I have so much time, bits and energy invested in the bike, I have absolutely no interest or intention of returing it to original. If I get bored of the 888, it'll be broken for spares.

2. Done. Well sort of, 5 spoke Mag Marchi's from an ST4S . Initially with a 17mm rear axle through the 25mm (hole in the) bearings, but now the swingarm has been modded to take a 25mm hollow axle.

3. As the orignal Brembo goldlines don't look miles different, I think this would be a great mod and, adapter plates aside, would need a double take to really work out the difference.

I guess i'm in the same camp as Neil. Mod it, ride it, but most of all, enjoy it. Who cares what they think

[Edited on 17-2-2006 by Rob B]
Old 17-Feb-2006, 19:30
Mille

Yes, do what you want. It's your bike. I was talking about what I would do myself and wouldn't dream of knocking anyone who did something different. I hope it didn't sound like I was.

My bike is an SP3, so the gold, or in my case silver 4 pads look a bit different to the black calipers on there now. I was forgetting that the 888s have the gold calipers.
Old 17-Feb-2006, 19:59
Ducati Corse

I put 4 pads on the SP5,performed great looked crap!!The ony reason i went for the GP billetts was to keep the bike looking "right".The 4 pads just didn't fit in.
Old 17-Feb-2006, 20:03
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Might have a Brembo pic of my own next week
Old 17-Feb-2006, 20:35
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Jools

Do anything you want, but with one proviso...........

PLEASE don't paint it yellow