Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Aug-2006, 22:22
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogalman
Better the devil they know.

nope, the only thing they are bothered about is winning, if a better system existed they would try it and use it. I'd bet even the bm moto gp bike has conventional forks.

there are no advantages in normal use for singlesiders, its fashion and old hat now, ducati need to look at pushing the performance envelope to compete with the lighter, more hp competition not build their superbikes as fashion items, they can leave that till they do a sport classic 916, it can only be a matter of a few years away given the age of its design
Old 22-Aug-2006, 22:25
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
...ducati need to look at pushing the performance envelope to compete with the lighter, more hp competition not build their superbikes as fashion items, they can leave that till they do a sport classic 916, it can only be a matter of a few years away given the age of its design

didnt they do that with the 999???? but it was the looks that everyone talked about, not the performance.

sad but true.

748RS race bike (well, 853 but who\'s counting!)
999S road bike,

www.motorapido.co.uk
Old 22-Aug-2006, 22:25
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
nope, the only thing they are bothered about is winning, if a better system existed they would try it and use it. I'd bet even the bm moto gp bike has conventional forks.

there are no advantages in normal use for singlesiders, its fashion and old hat now, ducati need to look at pushing the performance envelope to compete with the lighter, more hp competition not build their superbikes as fashion items, they can leave that till they do a sport classic 916, it can only be a matter of a few years away given the age of its design

Brilliant,post of the day!
Old 22-Aug-2006, 22:33
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
So would you want to ride an ugly bike as looks are unimportant????
Old 22-Aug-2006, 23:00
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf
didnt they do that with the 999???? but it was the looks that everyone talked about, not the performance.

sad but true.

the looks did get talked about but at the time the performance wasn't there, the racers didn't accept it and this reflected on a great road bike. its still short on numbers on a gixxer, R1 ,blade or MV which needs addressing but going backwards isn't going to help that. ducati need innovative design matched with that performance .
Old 22-Aug-2006, 23:06
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogalman
So would you want to ride an ugly bike as looks are unimportant????

looks are important but as i prefer a 999 in looks to a 998 etc I'm happy to ride one. i had the choice and went for it as it is a better road bike and i like its looks.

oh i also have a multistrada which isn't the prettiest of things and yes, i'm happy to ride that even though it has been hit with an ugly stick
Old 22-Aug-2006, 23:41
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
wrong way round I'm afraid, the 916 was designed by a CRC design team consisting of Tamburini, Terblanche and Sergio Robbiano plus others. Tamburini nicked the best bits from bikes like the Honda NR750 and added Terblanche's waisted styling, tank shape etc from the supermono. That supermono look created by Terblanche took Ducati from big boxy front ends into the sleek shape most now consider to be a Ducati.

With the 999 Terblanche was allowed to do his own thing hence the more individualistic look of it.

You completely missed the point there Gizmo. I am not interested in who designed what, where and when. The point I am making is that the 999 series is downright ugly. It's mis-matched, it looks unfinished, it looks messy (the subrame/frame/swingarm area is hideous), it's not at all elegant. The 916 series is universally applauded as the most beautiful bike design of all time, when it came out people said "WOW". 13 years on people still say "WOW".

OTOH when the 999 came out people said "Oh".

As I said - the 916 series looks like it was crafted with a love for bikes. The 999 doesn't.

The 916 is what got me into Ducatis and now all those years later I can still sit and look at my 748 with admiration for hours.
Old 22-Aug-2006, 23:46
Mille

Really don't know how you can say that mate. It is a work of art,from every/any angle.

Not a lot of bikes you can say that about.

(but not in red! tee hee)
Old 22-Aug-2006, 23:48
Ducati Corse

Quote:

I completely disagree with you. There is an awful lot of conservatism in racing too. Going with a totally different design leaves the team with a high risk of failure when it comes to unproven technology. It can all fall flat on its face leaving them in a racing vacuum or nowhere. They just can't afford that. So, technology changes incrementally and not in leaps and bounds as you might think....even at top level racing. Fundamentally bikes are no different to those of 30-40 years ago.
Old 22-Aug-2006, 23:49
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pavey
Really don't know how you can say that mate. It is a work of art,from every/any angle.

Not a lot of bikes you can say that about.

(but not in red! tee hee)

RU referring to me? I can say it easily. It's one of the reasons why I won't buy one. I'm a lost customer to them atm.