Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 10-Oct-2006, 17:36
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sye73
thanks TP...... Oh, and I was wondering if there was some kinda 'class / status ' remarks on the cards )

All friendly banter mate, most of the class B people can't understand it or type for that matter anyway so have no fear.

Batten down the hatches!!!!!
Old 10-Oct-2006, 17:42
GTL

Hi Phil h, yeah I was wondering if I was missing a 'key cost' ! Cheers
Old 10-Oct-2006, 17:50
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Aaawww thanks for the kind words folks.

At the end of the season (well actually only 1/2 season for me, 4 rounds) the total cost has come to a little over £5k all in. I'll update the Kapital Moto article in the coming days.

Of course you could do it a whole lot cheaper than that too - for example I could have saved £120 by camping this last weekend at Cadwell rather than deciding on a warm hotel room in Louth. I also could have saved money by not racing on Saturday, but I was greedy for more track time.

And then there's other things you might not need to buy that I did - full piece race suit, new boots and gloves etc.

Next season will also be cheaper as I already own the bike and necessary racing kit. Less capital expense and more operational outgoings as I plan on hopefully being at all 8 rounds.
Old 10-Oct-2006, 18:46
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Sye, in my opinion......

A few trackdays under your belt is very useful before hitting the grid. You'll benefit greatly from knowing how both you and your race bike goes round a race track, but you've got some track experience so just get yourself a DD bike together and take it for a couple of winter tests to get used to it and set it up. I'd done 6 track days before joining up, and then 1 on the monster to familiarise myself with the bike and work out what needed doing to it.

As for cost, like said, it doesn't have to cost much at all. I've done 2 seasons (missing just one round) and the total cost stands at £6514.65 - that was starting from scratch, including all the paddock gear, leathers, admin, fuel, food, travel, spares, crash damage, etc... and even includes a few track days for learning new tracks before the races. I did get some good sponsorship for the bike and tyres tho.

So you don't need to spend a kings ransome and build a bike that would envy the Ducati Corse factory to be at the sharp end of it - my bike was little more than just very well maintained (thanks to PeteB) and it got me 5th in the 2005 standing, 7th in 2006 and a couple of trophies to polish.

Go for it, you know it makes sense!
Old 10-Oct-2006, 19:32
Big Twin

Mood: Feeling peckish
My year's racing a 583 monster has cost around £2500, didn't go to Brands and went to Assen but didn't ride, I rode at all the other meetings though. The £2500 includes buying the bike, leathers, getting the relevant licences and club memberships, fuel and consumeables, entries etc and even a couple of trackdays. I've not included the costs of travelling to and from meetings though. I seriously doubt it could be done much cheaper, and I seriously doubt any other series can match it for value for money! Next year's budget will be around £2000 all in, plus travel costs.
Old 10-Oct-2006, 22:07
GTL

thanks NBs996 / Zimbo16...... It is hugely tempting to say the least. I suppose things like 'what happens if I do a round at cadwell (i.e. miles away) and the poxy thing wont start' and should I think abaout buying towbars and trailers to transport the bike about are holding me back a bit, and that's before I fall off and break my leg! I am not 'hands on' at all when it comes to mechanics so would need to find something fundamentaly reliable as a base bike. 'Testing' seems to be a word thats come up once or twice too.... are you guys sure that I'm not entering BSB or something ??!!!
Old 10-Oct-2006, 22:15
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
thanks NBs996 / Zimbo16...... It is hugely tempting to say the least. I suppose things like 'what happens if I do a round at cadwell (i.e. miles away) and the poxy thing wont start' and should I think abaout buying towbars and trailers to transport the bike about are holding me back a bit, and that's before I fall off and break my leg! I am not 'hands on' at all when it comes to mechanics so would need to find something fundamentaly reliable as a base bike. 'Testing' seems to be a word thats come up once or twice too.... are you guys sure that I'm not entering BSB or something ??!!!

I have only raced at Oulton park without a track day before hand at least. It's not to be recommended for the inside of your leathers mate.
It's not to safe for the others in the race either really.
Old 10-Oct-2006, 22:35
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered40
I have only raced at Oulton park without a track day before hand at least. It's not to be recommended for the inside of your leathers mate.
It's not to safe for the others in the race either really.

If you're going to choose a track to race without having been there before, Oulton is probably not the best choice! I found it terrifying the first couple of sessions, all those blind approaches!

I raced at Snetterton without having been there before, and missed qualifying too, so lap 1 was my first sight of it. Didn't do much for my lap times the first couple of laps, but didn't really cause a problem because the track is fairly open and easy to learn . . .
Old 10-Oct-2006, 22:39
Big Twin

Quote:

If you're at Cadwell and it won't start, people around you will probably get it going for you, so don't worry about it! If it really won't start it's a waste of the entries, but won't cost any more - you'd spent the money anyway!

As for getting something reliable, they're all pretty reliable, even the sheds. Whatever you get, have the valve clearances done and belts changed, and the fueling set up on a dyno, and you'll be unlucky if it breaks down on you in a serious way.

No way around the breaking the leg bit I'm afraid, get insured with CICA and try not to fall off! I don't recall anybody breaking anything this year, although there were a few breaks last year.
Old 11-Oct-2006, 09:32
GTL

Thanks Zimbo 16.......