Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 07-Sep-2006, 11:34
Ducati Meccanica

Winter Jacket ??

I'm in need of a warmer winter jacket. I tend to get cold very quick out riding in winter so apart from heated variety what have you and how good is it ?

I currently have a Spada one - but it's just not up to the job and i'm sick of spilling me tea from shaking when I get anywhere or being unable to move as there are so many layers on underneath it.
Old 07-Sep-2006, 11:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Thought you were in Ozz? Does it get cold?

Anyway, I've had a Belstaff Celsius jacket for the last five winters, and I've done a fair amount of miles in it and in all weathers - down to -5 degrees.

I have found it totally waterproof and very warm. I don't feel the cold too much so most of the time it's warm enough for me (too warm at times) without the thermal inner jacket. Put the thermal liner in and it's sweltering unless the outside temperature is at the aforesaid -5.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 07-Sep-2006, 12:01
Ducati Meccanica

Was on holiday Jools you can't just up sticks to Oz, takes planning etc

Thanks for that i'll look it up - I have to say the Tea incident was minus lawd only knows and there was snow on the ground but i do feel the cold on even the most mildest of winter runs ( must be me age )

I plan lots of winter riding this year now i don't have to keep changing from road to race trim
Old 07-Sep-2006, 12:05
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Before you all go no way.
BMW do some good if not expensive gear, they did do a body warmer shape liner that has inflateable sections, you could add remove air easily to help regulate your body core temperature, this may give you alternative ideas.
I used to have a Hein Gerricke master whatever it was numbered, in winter rode at 6/7 in the morning rain or shine and even in the snow (only a bit though) I rode that with the lining in and only a thin long sleeve top under it, no problems.
Old 07-Sep-2006, 12:28
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Thumbs up Just The Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix n max
I'm in need of a warmer winter jacket. I tend to get cold very quick out riding in winter so apart from heated variety what have you and how good is it ?

I currently have a Spada one - but it's just not up to the job and i'm sick of spilling me tea from shaking when I get anywhere or being unable to move as there are so many layers on underneath it.

I can only recommend one manufacturer after 35yrs of all weather riding: RUKKA - they do what they say they will, and, back it up with a no quibble 5yr guarantee that is stood by - I know.

My current outfit is the ArmaX Jacket and Trousers. In warm weather I remove the Outlast inner jacket. I've ridden in -15C snug as a bug in a bag, and, I've ridden in a monsoon a few times for over 6hrs and it did the job - completely dry.

Their gloves (which they don't make anymore did NOT work) and I got the money back immediately even though I'd had them 3yrs and an offer of free choice of jacket or trousers from their "leisure range".

They cost - but they are worth every penny.
Old 07-Sep-2006, 12:39
Ducati Meccanica

Blimey - they are expensive !!!!!

But thanks for the tips
Old 07-Sep-2006, 13:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Have to aggree with the Rukka comments, I now use a Air power combo and it is awesome, but expensive, so did not want to throw Rukka into the mix.
Old 07-Sep-2006, 22:04
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
Hein Gericke does the Tuareg which is also totally waterproof with triple layer and very warm.
Old 07-Sep-2006, 22:53
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Be careful with layered jacket systems, the arms/knees can twist if you remove layers, I've now got a 4 cm hole in my left elbow where this happened when the armour slid up. if you go for a layered jacket make sure it has adjustment so you can tighten any armour up i
Old 07-Sep-2006, 23:02
Ducati Meccanica

I've ordered the belstaff one and some new cordura winter trews with sep lining today so gonna keep me fingers crossed.

Now for some new heated grips and the damart catalogue

Mmmm winter riding - sharp frosty mornings - I may just miss them!