Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Oct-2006, 20:30
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
Smile Desmo Due; a wobbly novice's year!

The year for me has brought joy, frustration, pure fear and relief all at once. From wobbling round in an Inters group on trackdays to joining a race series was a huge step.

The year started badly with first practice at Donington snowed off, then a break down at Cadwell and a crash at Brands Hatch. That first race was such an eye opener. All the friendliness and laughing in the paddock turns into a grid full of determined, fast people on smokey, Italian motorbikes and it's all a bit serious and scary! I had no idea what I thought I was doing that first time out, but the buzz of chasing people down and pushing myself to and then beyond my limits was like nothing else. After the adrenalin had worn off and my very swollen knee had started throbbing I had to wonder if I was cut out for it. I couldn't even stay on for one race.

Still, the entries went in for the next round and the next and eventually I grew to love that feeling as you all line up and the madness that is the first couple of corners. The nerves don't get any better, I still have to hold back from puking my guts up just before every race, but just try living without that adrenalin rush for a while once you've felt it. It's worse than any drug.

The frustrations come, especially at tracks you just can't seem to get on with, but the banter and camaraderie at the end of the day, no matter where in the field you've finished, just seem to make you want to come back for more. Suckers for punishment? Absolutely!

A year of prepping, riding and crashing my first little race bike has been such a valuable experience and one I'll never, ever forget. The people more than anything have made it for me, I could never have hoped to meet such a wonderful and often, quite odd bunch! To be accepted straight into the Desmo Due family, spoken to as an equal with people that are so, so much better riders and racers than me makes the series stand out as something quite unique. Nobody is belittled, everyone helped and supported, you couldn't wish for a better paddock to welcome you into the world of racing.

My riding has come on leaps and bounds too. This time last year I could turn in about 1m55s laps of Cadwell on my 100bhp ZX6R. Now, I've managed a 1m57s lap on a 60bhp Mong the Monster and I know there's much more to come as I learn the bike, the tyres and myself better.

Just a huge thanks to everyone who's been in the paddock this year and made it what it is. To anyone who's joining us next season, you're going to have a whirlwind year and you'll be kicking yourself for not joining in sooner

Roll on 2007....can we go race yet?

A couple of favourite pictures; my best result at Castle Combe and capturing the chaos of a start;

And the calm before the storm Trying to look relaxed, feeling like your tummy's on a rollercoaster;

Last edited by Grib : 11-Oct-2006 at 20:34.
Old 11-Oct-2006, 20:37
GTL

....sounds like fun !
Old 11-Oct-2006, 20:52
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sye73
....sounds like fun !

Its the real thing sye, accept no substitute.
Old 11-Oct-2006, 20:52
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dseered
Good on you, now about this dropping your bike business

It was only a little one....urrr...woops!

She forgave me, it was all fine
Old 11-Oct-2006, 22:16
Big Twin

Mood: Feeling peckish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dseered
Good on you, now about this dropping your bike business

Don't worry, it's under warranty, isn't it???

Nice write up Lucie, I've enjoyed all your reports and it's been a pleasure racing with you this year! Even if you did beat me a few times too many . . . .
Old 11-Oct-2006, 23:58
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Keep it up Gribb, well done out there and good luck next year.

It's the funnest thing about DD isn't it. The change between the paddock atmosphere and the caos of the race. Sometimes it can take a rider quite a wile to calm down after a race and remember despite anything that happend on the track stays on the track in DD. So far it's stayed that way but only just. It would be a shame for it to boil over at any time and F*** up the pig roast social.

It's not a game out there though is it. It's a race filled with very determined good friends.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 00:45
Mille

Mood: 1st,start to finish
Talking

[quote=Grib]The year for me has brought joy, frustration, pure fear and relief all at once.

Ah Lucy,and thats just Couch!!

"A year of prepping, riding and crashing my first little race bike has been such a valuable experience and one I'll never, ever forget. The people more than anything have made it for me, I could never have hoped to meet such a wonderful and often, quite odd bunch! To be accepted straight into the Desmo Due family, spoken to as an equal with people that are so, so much better riders and racers than me makes the series stand out as something quite unique. Nobody is belittled, everyone helped and supported, you couldn't wish for a better paddock to welcome you into the world of racing."

Very well put indeed.Been great to have the Mansfield Massive in my corner for sure.
Top marks for your season Luce.I sure remember Brands qualifying and climbing back on for the second race took some doing,I forgot that was your first round.
At the end of the day you got out there and did it,improved all year and kicked some ass!!!!.........and made me tea and toast.
Old 12-Oct-2006, 14:59
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff 64
...and made me tea and toast.

Which is by far the most important bit Who would have guessed that chance meeting at Cadwell would have brought us so far
Old 12-Oct-2006, 15:10
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Nice write up Lucy, I enjoyed reading that

I'm glad to see that's another person hooked on the racing drug! Woohoo!!

It's been great having you and sofa in the paddock as well!
Old 12-Oct-2006, 15:26
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Did you get the photos Lucie?