Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Sep-2006, 21:15
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Head East as soon as you can.
The shortest route for Calais - Chatel is obviously via the middle of France (Reims, Troyes, Dijon, etc...) but that's rubbishly flat and straight. To enjoy your trip you want to avoid that. Head towards Metz, and then the Vosges, Alsace -route des Cretes- (my lands ), Jura, Savoie and there you go. Much much longer, but infinitely better.
Old 11-Sep-2006, 23:19
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Wink

follow the concreet road N7 from Namur to Luxembourg, then Go across to Nancy, lunervile, Saint marie aux mines, nuechattel, and do the loop !
You will like it !
Old 13-Sep-2006, 09:44
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B
Gossa,

YIf you've got a few mins spare, pop over and I'll point out a few options we've used.

Rgds, Rob
Rob, pop over where?
Old 13-Sep-2006, 10:43
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossa
Rob, pop over where?

In the sentiment of Derek and Clive "Just pop over" and you'll get there.
Old 13-Sep-2006, 11:38
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Here's my Tip:
Thrash out of Calais on the toll motorway (A26/E15 as only as far as the intersection with the motorway A2/E19) and turn off for Cambrai. (Dirty industrial town) approx 150kms.

There take the N43 (east direction Fourmies) - a fast undulating road through some wonderful countryside and small towns. Continue for approx 130kms to Sedrun. Just past there (7kms) still on the N43 turn right at Douzy onto the D964.

D964 - fantastic road follows the Meuse river valley through rolling countryside and national parks. Takes you through WW1 Verdun and all the way to Neufchateaux - check the castle - a total of approx 140kms.

At Neufchateaux take the D164 direction Contrexéville. This road takes you through a number of Spa Towns and meanders along very pretty valleys. Stay on D164 until 17kms after Bains-les-Bains where it joins the D417/D64 at St Loup s S. (Overall kms on D164 approx 80kms)

St Loup follow D64 direction Luxeuil les Bains. 10kms.

Lux-l-B pick up the N57 direction Vesoul > Besancon. Another marvellous French N road, some dual carriageway. Total kms to Besancon 75kms.

Leave Besancon on the N83 and head again back into the forests soaking in the Spas and Floura and F until Poligny - 59kms.

Poligny take N5 direction Geneva and watch the mountains and Lac Leman unfold before your eyes. There are two great vantage points to stop and photoshot at - Pic de L'Aigle and later on La Dole on French/Swiss border. before you literally drop into Geneve. Total N5 approx 115kms.

From Geneve it is easy to Chatel. Have Fun

Last edited by Athelstan : 13-Sep-2006 at 11:40.
Old 13-Sep-2006, 13:05
Big Twin

Athelstans routes a pretty good one. Done near enough the exact same route 4 or 5 times. Not keen on the N43 Cambrai area though, we usually miss that bit out now and head a little bit down the A26/e17 to round about St Quentin and then head across to Guise d960 Vervins d966 Montcornet then d946 Rethel then Vouziers and just follow the 946 through Grandpre and carry on till the N3 which takes you into Verdun. Get yourself a decent map and have a good look and see what you think. Some folk are a bit sniffy about the roads in northern France but theres plenty of good ones to go at.

If you dont bother with the motorways too much anywhere around Geneva is a good very very long days ride. If there was a few of us we would never really get much further than Neufchateaux. If you do want to get all the way down there in one hit then you can stay on the Motorway to around Troyes then do the N71 to Dijon and across to the N5 toward Geneva.

How far are you hoping to get on day 1?
Old 13-Sep-2006, 13:14
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN H
How far are you hoping to get on day 1?

I guess a proper rider would be back in Calais on day 1

Old 13-Sep-2006, 15:05
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio600

Not if the weather was anything like it was in March en route to the Geneva motor show. Pic taken on the main (N5) road between Poligny and Gex.

And yes we did Crash (3 times into snow banks)

N5 TO GENEVA.jpg

Last edited by MARTIN H : 13-Sep-2006 at 15:08.
Old 13-Sep-2006, 15:50
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Wink The thinking rider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio600

would carry on past Lac Leman and be in Tuscany for supper and basking in the glory of the best of the italian reds: vino, motocicletta e signorinas
Old 13-Sep-2006, 16:10
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athelstan
would carry on past Lac Leman and be in Tuscany for supper and basking in the glory of the best of the italian reds: vino, motocicletta e signorinas

I think I miss the point about the red signorinas