Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 13-Nov-2011, 01:16
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Bimota Surprises Milan With DB10 Bimotard and DB9 Brivido

Posted at:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/...d-db9-brivido/

If you are old enough (I am), you will remember decades ago lusting after Bimota motorcycles pictured in magazines, when Bimota routinely took Japanese engines out of their flexi, low-grade steel tube frames and put them into light weight, billet aluminum masterpieces lovingly shaped by CNC machinery. Bimota would then tune the motor for higher output, and add exotic suspension and brake pieces to the package. There was nothing more drool-worthy, or expensive, at the time.

Bimota then fell on hard times . . . more than once. Among other hurdles it faced was the increasingly difficult task of improving on stock sport bikes. The stock machinery gradually became lighter, stiffer, and more powerful. More state-of-the-art. These days, Bimota receives far less attention, and frequently sources its engines from Ducati rather than the Japanese.

In Milan earlier this week, Bimota displayed two new models, including the DB10 Bimotard and DB9 Brivido.

The Bimotard features a 1078 cc, air-cooled, v-twin rated at 98 hp (at 7500 rpm). In a package weighing a claimed 369 pounds dry, Bimota includes a frame that combines a steel trellis with machined aluminum pieces, and a massive Marzocchi 50 mm fork and an Extreme Tech shock, both fully adjustable. The DB10 Bimotard also sports the current braking standard, i.e., radial-mounted, four piston Brembos in front squeezing 320 mm discs.

The DB9 Brivido, on the other hand, gets the big gun 1198 cc, liquid cooled, v-twin delivering a claimed 162 hp at 9500 rpm. It is treated to the same, top-drawer Brembo brake package and weighs a claimed 389 pounds dry. The DB9 also has Marzocchi forks, but this time the 43 mm versions. The fully adjustable shock is again by Extreme Tech.

No word yet on pricing or availability of these low volume exotics, and you cannot inquire at a dealer near you (because there likely is none)!

Old 13-Nov-2011, 01:32
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic944ss

If you are old enough (I am), you will remember decades ago lusting after Bimota motorcycles pictured in magazines, when Bimota routinely took Japanese engines out of their flexi, low-grade steel tube frames and put them into light weight, billet aluminum masterpieces lovingly shaped by CNC machinery. Bimota would then tune the motor for higher output, and add exotic suspension and brake pieces to the package. There was nothing more drool-worthy, or expensive, at the time.

I must be older than you Frank as I remember the early KBs and SBs with the Steel frames and things like swingarm pivots in line with the front sprocket.
Visiting Dixon Racing in Godalming in the early 80's was like walking into the ultimate sweet shop. Only bettered by visiting the Royal Horticultural Show rooms for the Road Race Show or the Earls Court Bike show where you were treated to all kinds of Exotica from the likes of P&M, Rickman, Seeley Harris, Spondon, Moto Martin, Nico Baker etc

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 13-Nov-2011, 03:34
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

LOL - lets NOT mention ages Kev as I feel old enough already....

I didnt write the editorial, I just copied it after it came through on my Ducati feed

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit