Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 05-Feb-2009, 17:49
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yeah,no school for our Lizzie today.
Most of the village kids were out snowballing at 8.30am,....they were having a great time.
I had a hospital appointment today and the journey took over an hour instead of the usual 20mins.The fen roads were just passable and the Peterborough parkway was down to one lane.Very quiet at PDH so in and out again in record time.
Old 05-Feb-2009, 18:43
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
When I were a lad...
We had snow, school was about 4 miles away, stayed open, we walked in. Uphill both ways it was too!

This week, monday/tuesday, plenty of snow here but still went to work even though my only transport at the mo is the 996 (which REALLY needs cleaning now!). Didn't notice anyone absent from our office - a few people were late, but all seemed to make enough effort to get there, so I can't understand why there's millions of people not showing up elsewhere. I can only think it's laziness, along with the 'nany state' culture we have to endure.
Old 05-Feb-2009, 21:48
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Fortunatly here in Denmark we have missed all the nice white stuff you guys are having, but watching the news and seeing all the kids and quiet a few adults managed to make their way to sledging areas, how come they could not make their way to School ? And if someone made it to all the schools to place hand written "School Closed" signs up, why could they not have stayed with the school open to do their job and teach the kids that got to school.

One clip i saw was of a news reporter outside a school saying that many children who turned up today found they were having a day off when they found the school gates locked and a notice that the school was closed, If the news reporter and camera crew got there and the kids they filmed turning round and going home got there why was the school closed?
Old 05-Feb-2009, 22:02
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Interesting point raised by somebody in the press over here Paul, along the lines that by not opening the schools it gives the kids the idea that anything that takes a bit of effort should not be bothered with. We don't have snow like this very often on the other hand, apparently in many parts it is the most for 20 years so many of the kids will never have seen the like.

Half the kids at our local skools are ferried in half a mile max in the 4X4 in normal circumstances, I'm not sure that some of them know how to walk .

We went to the bank in the high street today and they hadn't bothered to open. Now they are telling us that the salt for the roads is running out.

More snow forecast for tomorrow in our area.

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 05-Feb-2009, 23:46
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I've worked from home for the last 8 years, so I've been working everyday since I don't need a snowplough to grit the landing so that I can get to my office.

I did have a 110 mile round trip in about 4 inches of snow on Monday to see a customer and I got there with very little trouble, even though even roads like the A40 between Denham and Beaconsfield were ungritted and covered in snow. I don't really care that people who live closer didn't make the effort, but what really does get me about the snow 'crisis' is the amount of whinging that goes on and the blame culture that this country has fallen into.

Everybody moans about the council's and their inability to keep the roads clear. These same people would probably also be the first ones to whinge about the ludicrous waste of taxpayers money spent on snowploughs and dirty great piles of grit that are only ever needed once every 10-15 years.

In other countries I've worked in, people actually have to take some responsibility for themselves rather than take the flimsiest excuse to lard around and take the day off. They have to fit winter tyres, by law, which I'm told are narrower so they cut through snow, have a big old tread and are made of softer compound rubber. They'll also carry snow chains.

Here, the public psyche (and the media) just seems fixated on spinning round pointing fingers for being ill-prepared at anyone other than themselves.

The trickiest bit of my journey on Monday was going through Fulmer, Bucks. It's in a valley so you go down into the village, round a couple of S bends and up the other side. The road out obviously goes back up hill, it was covered in packed snow and it has a right hand turning off the main drag half way up. As I came to the bottom of the hill, a group of about 5 cars were trying to get up it. Did they take a nice steady run up at the hill? Did they buggery. The first car set off, and all the other cars started to follow it at the same sort of distance they would have done on a dry day. As the first car got virtually on top of the right hand turning he gave a couple of flicks on his indicator to turn right and stopped, half way up the hill to turn right (even though there was no approaching traffic). Second car completely failed to anticipate that the first one was turning right (hard to do when you're following it 4 feet behind) and stopped too. So now, you've got 5 cars all trying to pull away from a standing start, halfway up a hill, no throttle control and big old rooster tails everywhere as they slithered with spinning wheels and no steering control into the nearest verge. It was hardly rocket science to take a long steady run up on the flat, keep the momentum going up the hill and do no more than breathe on the gas and I got up there quite easily.

I don't 'spose any of the drivers who found themselves stuck in the verge halfway up the hill would admit "Ah yes, I got stuck because I'm a fecking cretin that hasn't got a clue how to drive in snow" no way "It's the bleedin councils fault"

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 06-Feb-2009, 05:53
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools
In other countries I've worked in, people actually have to take some responsibility for themselves rather than take the flimsiest excuse to lard around and take the day off. They have to fit winter tyres, by law, which I'm told are narrower so they cut through snow, have a big old tread and are made of softer compound rubber.

Jools, both my cars have had winter tyres fitted since November, winter tyres are not restricted to snowy conditions and actualy come into their own when temps drop below 9 degrees, summer tyres do not function correctly in temps under 9 degrees. watching the UK news i have heard pleanty of moaning from motorists who blame the council for not gritting or salting enough, i have yet to hear any of these people state they have done their bit by using winter tyres

Something that would really help the UK market is legislation. A number of other EU countries have made the use of winter tyres a legal requirement and many offer specific winter recommendations

In the UK, however, there is no legislation and very little in the way of advice. The main authority on the subject, the Highway Code, is less than forthcoming. In fact the official guide, which describes itself as "essential reading for everyone," has nothing on the subject of winter tyres, and only contains three entries on the subject of tyres in general. The addition of a line explaining how improved grip could be attained by using winter tyres, would improve consumer perceptions of winter tyres no-end. But as we have seen, a legal requirement would be even better.

The fact remains, as far as the UK government is concerned there is not likely to be any new legislation unless the EU introduces it first.
Old 06-Feb-2009, 06:14
GTL

It certainly does seem as if there is an increased tendency to a) skive off and b) blame someone else for it. Is that having your cake and eating it , or am I just a grumpy old man?
Still, on the upside, at least the roads are not clogged by the 4x4s parked on the double yellow lines outside the schools.
Old 06-Feb-2009, 07:07
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col996s
It's not helped by the fact that the Company I work for have turned around and said that people who didn't go in on Monday AND Tuesday will get paid as normal and will not have to take it has holiday. This is a kick in the teeth for the people who did go in. Maybe Monday yes but Tuesday was fine in this area for travelling.

Lucky gits, our Hr department have said that people that could not get to work, even if they tried, will have to tale leave or flexi time, mind you he is an ar*ole!
Old 06-Feb-2009, 07:39
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgbob44
Lucky gits, our Hr department have said that people that could not get to work, even if they tried, will have to tale leave or flexi time, mind you he is an ar*ole!

I think that's fair - it's the same here - I get paid to be at work. I've made it in every day this week, through some tricky conditions on a bl**dy long drive - why should people who can't make the effort be rewarded for staying at home??
Old 06-Feb-2009, 08:19
Mille

I learnt to drive in snow when I had an Austin Morris Allegro in the 1980's. It snowed quite often each winter then and much fun was had in the lanes, doing hand break turns and the like. So it didn't matter if I pranged an Austin Allegro, which happened quite often. Its easy to pull the wings straight on a tin box. Great Fun.

Nower days people get hot and flustered at the sight of snow. I have made it to work and colleagues of mine who travel much further.

My Kids have also been to school which is hard on them when they see others on the tele enjoying the snow. I am hoping it is still here tomorrow so we can take them to Allestree park near Derby. There are plenty of hills there to slide down.

So the moral is, its only weather and as with all weather we should learn to cope with it. The media however are always looking for a dramatic story and someone to blame.
Well if I were a religious news reporter would I blame him up stairs?

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit