Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Apr-2004, 09:15

749s breakdown

I went out for a spin yesterday on my new 749s and the engine just died. It had just had its first (600-mile) service on Tuesday. I called Ducati Assistance - which comes with every new bike - and they promised me that they would be with me within the hour. Over THREE hours later an AA van turns up. They recovered the bike back to my home in Nottingham as Italia in Lincoln (the dealer) was now shut. While I was waiting, I phoned Italia and they said that it was probably the CPU; they had had three dead bikes in recent weeks with the same problem.
Not good.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 25-Apr-2004, 09:32
888 at Last !!!

My 749 problem is constantly stalling/cutting out when approching junctions. It had a 6000 mile service last week, which seemed to cure the problem for about two day's. Now it's back to square one cutting out everyday. My dealer is contacting Ducati uk tomorrow.
Also i have found on two occasions riding in the wet. The throttle has stuck open at about 3000revs.
Grrrrrr.
Old 25-Apr-2004, 14:26
Montjuic

My 749S has just had the ECU replaced during its first service. It had been cutting out at junctions and refusing to tick over.

I rode it back from Woods yesterday and everything was perfect.

Just been out for a ride this morning, about 120 miles, and it has cut out twice when slowing down and then wouldn't tick over when I got home.

I'll try it again later in the week. Don't you just love 'em!
Old 26-Apr-2004, 07:32
Mille

Mood: not a happy bunny
my 749 suffered the same problem and my dealer changed the ECU and then the ducati rep came down to set the bike up!! and even then it kept cutting out at roundabouts to be honest i don't think that ducati know what is the problem is, mine has been running ok this year so far but i'm not holding my breath.
Old 27-Apr-2004, 08:54

It may be a coincidence, but I had the same problem with the engine dying until I started to use "Super Unleaded" petrol rather than the standard. Any thoughts? What petrol have you guys been using?
Old 27-Apr-2004, 09:10
500SD

Mood: Very happy with the Multi
Had the same problem withh my 999 , two things that seemed to resolve the problem.

Air in the clutch fluid, so when the clutch is pulled in the rear wheel was still trying to drive.

Fitted Termis & DP CPU, never been a problem since.

"Honest officer I had to fit these to stop it stalling"

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by Triple Nine]
Old 27-Apr-2004, 10:12
888 at Last !!!

I was hoping that when i had the Termis & DP CPU fitted, that it would solve the problem. As it solved the problem on my old 748, but no joy.
I was contacted by my local dealer yesterday . And the bike is going back to the workshop in May. Apparently Ducati uk do know of the problem with the throttle sticking open. And also they are going to run through some new procedures for setting up the ecu which are not in the dealership workshop manuals.
Old 27-Apr-2004, 10:34
Montjuic

My dealer, Andrew Wood, also rang me yesterday to ask how the bike was doing after they’d fitted the new ECU.

I’m going to run it for a couple of weeks and then get back to him. It’s good to know that someone’s looking after me!
Old 27-Apr-2004, 14:33
Big Twin

throttle stuck at 3000 for a few miles on way in to garage. When I got there I foolishly turned engine off and saw mechanic. When we restarted the bike it ran fine.
I'm sure there were other posts reporting same symptoms from last year.