Ducati Sporting Club UK
New User Introductions
A chance for new users to introduce themselves, tell us of their bikes, rides and aspirations and buy a drink at the virtual bar!

Old 31-Jan-2011, 22:02
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati 748r-853r / SF 1098s

Mood: ...much happier.
Red face (Back from the Past) - Hello DSC :)

Still grinning like a Cheshire cat after picking up a mint 2002-748r-last Fri

Name is Ash, live and work in the Channel Islands, Jersey to be precise, but come back to the UK (Essex) at least once or twice a month to make sure the squatters haven't moved in / nicked my TV

A little background on myself: I stupidly sold up my last T plate BP 4-5 years ago due to thinking it needed to go... when in actual fact it didn't. It was all in my head. Haven't really felt the same since it went.

So after 3 years of soul-mate searching... ebay, biketrader, bike shops, etc, I finally found my golden egg *glee*. Spent a day or so over the weekend feathering it's new nest, so still over the moon at the moment. Gutted to hear that TecMoto disappeared from the scene - loved that place!

I'd love to get some advice on the bike itself in it's current form, the techno gadget wizardry (non-standard stuff) is way beyond my current Duke comprehension, I'm sure it's all good stuff, but I have little experience to compare it against or know if it's good or bad. All I know is that I need to get the belts and valves replaced (as per recent discussion with JHP).

I'd like to get more involved in the duke scene, from a knowledge and social perspective, but I'll see what happens in the coming months. I guess all I need to do now is sign up for a new DSC membership and see what happens.

Anyway, that's enough of me. Have a good eve all.

Ash
Old 31-Jan-2011, 22:07
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Welcome back mate!

As before, good to hear from you again and will be good to catch up.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 31-Jan-2011, 23:16
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyford
A little background on myself: I stupidly sold up my last T plate BP 4-5 years ago due to thinking it needed to go... when in actual fact it didn't. It was all in my head. Haven't really felt the same since it went.

I like your perspective on the situation, welcome back and sorry to hear you need valves replacing, not the cheapest way back into Ducati ownership

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 01-Feb-2011, 08:46
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Hi Ashley,

Welcome, how long are you in Essex before you return to Jersey?
Where abouts in Chelmsford are you?
Old 01-Feb-2011, 19:19
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati 748r-853r / SF 1098s

Mood: ...much happier.
Hi Skidlids. I believe in my mind it was the right time for the bike to go due to the age & milage, when in reality this wasn't the case. Not that I am still harbouring about the whole ordeal, but my one wish would be to turn back the clocks and do things somewhat differently - this being not to think so much about the value, more of the enjoyment that I've missed, which is defo worth 100 fold more for me. However, still a little shocked that the value of my previous duke that I flogged wasn't really too far off from todays prices - 4 years on! What a muppet. Not to worry - tomorrow is a new day!

JHP recommended doing the valves when I change the belts (?!?!) - alledgedly the norm for the 748r's on it's first major service? It's only done 3.5k on the clock! However, from looking at the spec list, it appears to be someone tuned inc with a 853 (890 JHP) conversion. A little shocked to hear that the full first major service was £700+vat from JHP, whilst RP indicated £400 inc VAT (+belts) - seems rediculously dear, but perhaps this is typical prices to expect - I have no clue.

---

Hi Col, live in the North Springfield area within Chelmsford - 30 seconds away from Legoland (Beaulieu Park). Back in Jersey now, but back in the UK sometime in Feb, may be next week or the week after. Am normally back Friday evening then leave the UK early Monday morning.