Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 13-Feb-2006, 15:29
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Racing - Help me decide please

New Era membership and race entry forms are waiting for me at home.

I had a crap 2005 season and totally lost my confidence/speed - crashed on Monty's TZ250, picked myself back up and entered CB5's at Oulton, crashed on the brakes on the way into esses, (my fault), picked myself up and again entered CB5's at Brands only to be shunted off by guy behind me on full chat on half way around Paddock Hill - OUCH

So, I THINK I still want to race.....what should I do?

Have to apply for races now or the grid will be full, so...

CB5's or 600's???

CB5's - cheap, I should be at the front of the field, might get my confidence back, know lots of people, all on the 'same'!!! bike, been there done it though

600's - not cheap, will be mid pack at best, will stretch me - maybe improve my riding/times, my 600RR will be uncompetitive at only 115BHP, a new challenge for me as I get bored easily, will sort me out as to whether I want to continue racing

HELP

All comments welcome

WeeJohnyB
Old 13-Feb-2006, 15:31
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
As before mate;

- CB500 for 2006
- 600s for 2007 (or later in 2006 to test the water)

Tim
Old 13-Feb-2006, 15:39
everton

I'm not a racer but ..

I do know you have to be focussed to be succesful and you should always play to your strengths. The considerations I think you have are
[list=1][*]Financial - CB500 wins[*]Confidence - CB500 edges it[*]Challenge - CB600[/list=1]

On the strength of that, 2-1, Tim is right.
Old 13-Feb-2006, 15:39
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Yeh, I agree with Tim Jon, build back your confidence at the front of the CB500's and then go into 600 with lots of confidence.

Andy
Old 13-Feb-2006, 15:46
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
In your position I would pick my circuits/race meetings and enter both classes as the 2nd class usually works out quite cheap. Always plan on doing both 500 races and the first 600 race and if your having a good day do the 2nd 600 race as well, if your not put the 600 back in the van after the first race and save it for a better day.
A good day with the Extra tracktime could help build your confidence more quickly.
This is from someone that has done 6 races in one day on two different bikes and even done 12 races over a weekend.

Kev
Old 13-Feb-2006, 15:55
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
With your previous experiences of finishing at the front in CB5's would you be truly happy racing for a mid-pack place in 600's?
What is it about motorcycle racing that you enjoy?
If you "just" want to race and enjoy the thrill then stick with CB5's, if you find you're getting bored then you're probably not concentrating hard enough. If you really want to improve even more then you need to go where your inimitable talents will be stretched, maybe 600's?
You know the above holds true whether we're talking about racing or day to day life, no matter who's the subject.
What do YOU want John? Only you know the answer.
Old 13-Feb-2006, 16:06
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Know exactly what you mean, WJB. I think skidlids comments make a lot of sense to me. The one aspect that would be nearer to the bottom of my list of priorities is how competetive the 600 will be. It sounds like 2006 will be a rebuilding year. I presume both bikes are race ready?

Other than that, I might be in need of a test rider in the second half of the season.
Old 13-Feb-2006, 16:11
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
i'm not convinced your heart is in it at all WJB. The time to quit is about the time you question it in great detail.

You've proven yourself as a quick chap, i'm not sure you'll acomplish anything by throwing money down the pit for a season you really don't want to be in
Old 13-Feb-2006, 16:20
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by WeeJohnyB
New Era membership and race entry forms are waiting for me at home.

I had a crap 2005 season and totally lost my confidence/speed - crashed on Monty's TZ250, picked myself back up and entered CB5's at Oulton, crashed on the brakes on the way into esses, (my fault), picked myself up and again entered CB5's at Brands only to be shunted off by guy behind me on full chat on half way around Paddock Hill - OUCH

So, I THINK I still want to race.....what should I do?

Have to apply for races now or the grid will be full, so...

CB5's or 600's???

CB5's - cheap, I should be at the front of the field, might get my confidence back, know lots of people, all on the 'same'!!! bike, been there done it though

600's - not cheap, will be mid pack at best, will stretch me - maybe improve my riding/times, my 600RR will be uncompetitive at only 115BHP, a new challenge for me as I get bored easily, will sort me out as to whether I want to continue racing

HELP

All comments welcome

WeeJohnyB

John, I think you already know the answer. But I think you should do CB5's and work your way back into it. When your confidence returns you can dust off the RR and get her out there and also, if you're in a good position in the CB5 championship, you can go on with that as well. Or leave the RR for a year.

Either way, you're out there doing the business and building back up.

Will Paul (my roomy from Jerez) be at Cadwell? He's offered me the CB for a runout so I could get out on that. Looking at the entry forms there is enough gap for me to do that and have a break before the DD races on the Sunday, or I could just do the Sat on the CB.
Old 13-Feb-2006, 19:00
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
cb5's definitely

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit