Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-May-2006, 21:12
Mille

Mood: I've bought a 900SL!
Quote:
Originally posted by desmobob
they've been damaged by selling the lower specification 749 and 999 models. This will result in them regaining their status by selling only 'high end' machinery such as the Moto GP replica model.

[Edited on 25-5-2006 by desmobob]

The low end models the ducati blurb refferred to wasnt the normal superbike range it was the dark models (no 999 dark) and low end monster/(potentially multistrada) bikes. The strategy was to get the superbike range selling and add an upper layer motogp replica. The V-Twin superbike will continue to evolve as it always has since the 1st 851. If you could afford a superbike now then I suspect its not going to be much different and it will be perhaps more affordable over the next couple of years.
Incidently, not that I'm saying there cheap but I think the Biposto model of each full capacity superbike range (851-888,916-998,999 over the years) has never been cheaper and its not just relative its price on the shop floor. In fact I'm paying less now for a new un than I did for a 916! wayback when and that wasnt quite new!!!! Bargin!! :P
The grass is always greener and becareful what u wish for and all that
Old 25-May-2006, 21:21

Mood: Always red
Guys, guys
As Mr Barry Sheen once said.
''MCN never let the facts get in the way of a story''.
I'm holding on to my 999 base model becouse it makes me smile, if Ducati cut it from there range i have a bike that no one else has around here (having said that i do live on the east coast.) Could have had any litre bike i fancied at the time but I know i would only want to sell it in 6 months time.
Old 25-May-2006, 23:30
Mille

Mood: Beige.....
In some ways part of the appeal of owning a Ducati is because I know I've bought into a brand that make an incredibly expensive model that’s winning races. I wouldn't buy a Hysoung bike from China because although mechanically sound, (and have longer history than most Japanese manufacturers), don't have anything that makes their badge... that bit special. Ferrari make cars that are extremely expensive, but split the parts down to their cost equivalent and they certainly aren't as expensive as the cost of the car as a whole. They don't depreciate mainly because they're not so readily available, (some models you have to be offered to buy). If Ducati try to be the motorcycle equivalent of Ferrari they need to stop making so many limited edition models, otherwise they're simply not limited.
They need to find a careful balance between making quality affordable and reliable bikes, (something the Japanese are very good at) - as well as super fast, beautiful looking and amazing handling limited edition specials.

[Edited on 25-5-2006 by desmobob]
Old 26-May-2006, 00:44
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by yeti
Quote:
Originally posted by gossa I'm getting pi$$ed off with my bike being potentially devalued by tabloid speculation.

S'not only tabloid speculation. I was offered an 04 999R Fila rep with 500 genuine on it for £8k a couple of weeks ago. Try to get a 998R for that money and you'll be struggling. I'm afraid the punters have voted with their wallets on this one.

Im sure you could get a cat"D" 998R for that sort of money as well If you were into vintage stuff that is
Old 26-May-2006, 08:27
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
i don't think this is MCN's fault, its Ducati's inability to accept that the way they market product and released info to the press has not adapted to reflect the changes the internet has brought and the need for printed magazines to beat the websites with stories. |The new bike must be past the concept stage , taking a critical path back from a November launch in Milan means that given a "normal"lead time of 60 -90 days for components, time to run a small preproduction batch, manufacturing moulds for fairings and other unique parts and testing it all works, the design has to be somewhere near final now. Compare the route Ducati take to a succesful European brand like Triumph which is increasing sales , they allow limited press publication of the prototyping and testing of new models in the likes of MCN, it doesn't harm sales as the dealers and customers then know what is coming not speculating on it. I don't understand why Ducati don't releave visuals on concepts onto their own website to stop the speculation other than thinking they'll lose the impact from its launch, not much use if you've lost 5 month sales and upset dealers and customers in the process.
Old 26-May-2006, 10:09
Mille

Mood: Beige.....
I wish Ducati would read this little lot.
Old 26-May-2006, 10:25
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally posted by AGE996

Hmmm Those Suzuki's do look bloody nice and I can afford a new one !!

Wake up Ducati and smell the coffee !!!

I think thats a bit harsh. True the japanese bikes have excellent reliability and strong engines but the rest of it leaves a lot to be desired. Compare any of the following components between a 749/999 and their Japanese equivalent and you can see why a Duke costs more. I also have a ZX6R so I do know what i am talking about here

Head stock - Ducatis is a work of art, milled form a billet
Marchinesi alloys, make the Japanese ones look really poor
Brembo brakes
Fuel Filler - Ducati is die cast, Japs one are pressed steel
Side Stand -need I say more?
Access to an immense OEM upgrade parts catalogue - needs to be paid for somehow.

True, some of the above are cosmetic, but its all part of the Ducati appeal and brand, and it all costs. If all you want is the biggest bang for you buck, then Jap bikes are great, Ducati offers quite a bit more, like style, character, innovation......

Besides, Britney rides one,

[Edited on 26-5-2006 by 749er]

[Edited on 26-5-2006 by 749er]
Old 26-May-2006, 11:12
Mille

Looking at the front of the new GP road bike (providing MCN didn't photoshop that as well!) I think Ducati are commited to a similar design shape as the 999.

I would disagree that they are overpriced, you are getting exactly what you pay for. If Ducati moved production to Asia tomorrow then they would be better value (and better quality/more reliable) but I doubt any of us would want that do we?
Old 26-May-2006, 12:41
DSC Club Member

In response to Desmobob - of course we read the more interesting posts from time to time!

Sometimes I agree with the postings, sometimes not, but it does go towards a level of being informed about what you guys and gals are thinking.

Tim
Old 26-May-2006, 13:42
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Maccabee
In response to Desmobob - of course we read the more interesting posts from time to time!

Sometimes I agree with the postings, sometimes not, but it does go towards a level of being informed about what you guys and gals are thinking.

Tim

Them`s upstairs do listen or should I say read what us as the buying public have to say, nice one.
Mind you I still have not emailed Mr Maccabee about the 748/9** series of bikes re the openers & closers, still think something should be done about them.

Chris.