Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Jul-2003, 18:27
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
FELIX,

Yes indeed, small world, yeah the sites gone downhill a bit, getting better again...

But for a spell, a long spell I didn't bother, too many idiots on there.... all the good guys are welcome here though!

We need a character like Eastbay 851 though !!

Old 31-Jul-2003, 18:38
Montjuic

From this thread it seems to effect later model engines. Is it throughout the range?
Old 31-Jul-2003, 22:43
Bevel Head

Mood: Duc'd up now
my old 748sp had lack of chrome on the rockers. Just thought that 97 was a bad chrome year.

lapman
Old 01-Aug-2003, 02:32

Thanks for the info..

Thanks Jon! Always nice to see to friendly face, so to speak. Apparently the problem isn't relegated to US bikes. For those of you who don't have the scoop on this problem, the rockers on many 1996 thru 2002 4 valve motors shed their chrome plating and chew up the cam lobes. Some have actually caused valve stem tips to break off causing a lot of damage. Ducati has known of this problem since it first appeared in 96. This is the same time period when Ducati started sending out the rockers to subcontractors due to the increase in production volume created by the TPG buy in. The 2 valve rockers are still done in house and don't exhibit this problem. Ducati North America has occasionally replaced rockers under a "goodwill warranty" basis but typically the owners are told it isn't Ducatis problem. The good news is that there are alternatives other than replacing your rockers with equally defective Ducati OEM replacements. Megacycle will reface your rockers for around $70 per rocker. BCM in New Hampshire has a similar offering. Hopefully there are similar options for you folks. Thanks again for your replies.
Old 01-Aug-2003, 07:36
Mille

2001 996 had rockers and cams replaced in March under warranty at 6k service.
Old 04-Aug-2003, 14:29
GTL

Rockers

The previous posts suggest that pre-1996 rockers should be okay. Is this the case? I've just bought a '94 748 so keeping prospective problems to a minimum is on my mind.
TaIA
Old 17-Sep-2003, 01:18

Mood: mellow
Reading about this failing rockers has worried me a bit,No alot!!! Is there any way i can tell without taking it apart if this problem is going to happen to my 1999 996bp pocket rocket. ie, noises/rattling/knocking ect... HELP THANKS.
Old 17-Sep-2003, 09:43
Mille

Just had my late 2002 748S serviced at 4500 miles..............

1 replaced rocker!! Under warrenty of course but not good at such a low mileage/age.
Old 17-Sep-2003, 10:25
Mille

My old 98, 30,000 mile 916 used abused track dayed etc was serviced earlier this year, asked mike(the mechanic who has looked after it since new) to pull the cams and check the rockers. All the rockers and camshafts were ok, annettes 2000 sps had a complete engine rebuild in 2001 inc new front head and overhaul rear head, when it was serviced in april this year it needed 3 rockers in the rear head. I wonder if the the different cam profiles contribute to the problem as the the bikes are both used regulaly and warmed before riding.
Ducati were not forthcoming when asked about a warranty claim

dave
Old 17-Sep-2003, 14:49
Montjuic

Mood: Deeply Grooved....
Early 2002 996S. One rocker replaced at 12k service (flaked). Engine was rebuilt by JHP under warranty at about 9k owing to oil consumption problem and damaged crankshaft (loose alternator), so I guess that flaking occurred between 9k and 12k - I say this because JHP gave the engine a good going over during the rebuild.