Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Apr-2006, 10:13
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by deej
good point phil but would you expect 2 coppers to turn up at the start of a charity run quoting "safety and awareness " issues and then not deal with the safety issues right under their fat noses. i dont have a small plate so im not whinging about it but i am complaining about the ******** these two fat TAX men were talking about when there was far more serious safety matters they should have been looking at, all they were interested in was £30 please sir

did the guy doing a wheelie up the estate were we met get done NO
did the guy doing a burnout get done NO
did the guy who turned up with practically no silencer get done NO
did the guy who cut off the logo off the dealer he didnt like get done YES YES YES

please explain which is the worst offence or why they all werent done ???

I think there is only one talking bollox here...............We all know the rules, and probably more pertenant, the interpretation of the rules..........go beyond that and you put yourself on offer quite frankly!

How do you know these others wernt investigated? perhaps they couldnt identify the bloke doing the wheelie as he had an illegal number plate on...............good job he didnt kill one of our loved ones.................!

[Edited on 29-4-2006 by andyb]
Old 29-Apr-2006, 10:28

Someone i know got pulled up for speeding last year, ( radar gun) the copper had a few words with him, then let him off.............................
why you mite ask ?..........pretty obvious really.......he was a copper himself !!! just produced his action man badge.
Old 29-Apr-2006, 11:43
Big Twin

In this last week on the roads I do most of my riding on there has been 3 bike fatalities that I know of. With this kind of thing going on you really cannot expect the police to not be out in force. They have to do something or at least be seen to be doing something. The area of Devils Bridge, Settle, Hawes etc is full of bikes at the weekend and some of the behaviour from a good proportion of these bikers is dodgy to say the least.

Recently at weekends I have had groups of bikes overtaking me through 30 and 40 limits with their noisy cans blaring away etc. Also almost had a bloke on a Mille R hit me head on, in fact if I had not slowed to half the speed I normally do that bit of road on to let a friend catch up I would not be writing this now. I am fortunate in that working for myself I can get out pretty much when I want during the week and this is what I have been doing. I come across people I know on my mid week runs out that I would never see at the weekend as they just will not venture out when the idiots are on the road.

I agree that doing people for small plates etc is hardly a safety issue in the same way people with race cans on are not any more dangerous. But what can you expect the police to do? They must get a fair few complaints from the residents on many biking routes about the noise and anti social riding from many of the bikers during the summer months. Also the police are in the unenviable position of having to attend the scenes of fatalities and such.

I have been done myself in the past for small plates and termis etc and had to take it on the chin because its the law. However I was almost arrested one time as I was getting a ticket for the termis as a couple of nights earlier I had disturbed two intruders in my house and chased them away (I was well prepared lets just leave it at that!) The police took an hour to come and phoned back for directions twice! I only live less than a mile from the police station. I argued with the 5! police men stopping bikes for small plates etc about where were you when I had 2 men breaking into my house etc etc and was warned I would be arrested if I continued in such a manner. Not good public relations?

Except for the termis on the 996r I keep both my bikes as standard as possible these days as I can do without any unwanted attention.
Old 29-Apr-2006, 12:23
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Small Number Plates

I don't have a lot of sympathy with those of us who choose to ride bikes fitted with small number plates. Having said that I believe the police are more pedantic in their treatment of bikers than motorists.
Let me give you an example. Count up how many motorists with personalised number plates alter the spacing between digits and letters to such an extent that you can't see what the real registration identity is. 5's are often changed to S and sometimes the spacing is so wide the plate makes you think the vehicle was registered in Holland!
Now I believe this is a far greater bending of the rules than a small plate on a bike but the Police either don't seem to notice or choose to ignore this offence.
The DVLA warn personalised Reg. owners that if they mess about with the spacing etc. the personalised number will be consficated.
Old 29-Apr-2006, 12:34
Mille

Mood: looking to move in a new direction...
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Quote:
Originally posted by deej
good point phil but would you expect 2 coppers to turn up at the start of a charity run quoting "safety and awareness " issues and then not deal with the safety issues right under their fat noses. i dont have a small plate so im not whinging about it but i am complaining about the ******** these two fat TAX men were talking about when there was far more serious safety matters they should have been looking at, all they were interested in was £30 please sir

did the guy doing a wheelie up the estate were we met get done NO
did the guy doing a burnout get done NO
did the guy who turned up with practically no silencer get done NO
did the guy who cut off the logo off the dealer he didnt like get done YES YES YES

please explain which is the worst offence or why they all werent done ???

I think there is only one talking bollox here...............We all know the rules, and probably more pertenant, the interpretation of the rules..........go beyond that and you put yourself on offer quite frankly!

How do you know these others wernt investigated? perhaps they couldnt identify the bloke doing the wheelie as he had an illegal number plate on...............good job he didnt kill one of our loved ones.................!

[Edited on 29-4-2006 by andyb]

Perhaps this is where the problem is. The police have these stupid targets to achieve and it seems to be all in the name of money these days, instead of going out and catching the people that pull wheelies or do handbrake turns in crowded areas and at some point end up hurting someone and people who drive without tax/insurance, end up knocking a child down and then can't be traced..that must be so frustrating for the officers investigating and awful for the families who can't get justice for losing a loved one.

Im all for a bit of stunt work but there is a time and a place, theres to much emphasis on loud cans/small plates because joe public complains about it (its like moving to a village near an airport and then asking them to keep the noise down coz they can't hear the telly) instead of doing the right thing and locking up aholes that think they can get away with murder coz theres no one to stop them, which consequently makes life harder for the rest of us.

I don't mind the police being out on a weekend as long as they pull people for something serious..the government and the police authorities have they're priorities all wrong.

There are a lot of things in this world that i love to look at or listen to, a luscious sounding bike is one of them, its one of the reasons why i ride a bike and one of the things that reminds me im alive.

Ant

[Edited on 29-4-2006 by Chief R.B.]
Old 29-Apr-2006, 13:35
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
I don't mind the police being out on a weekend as long as they pull people for something serious..the government and the police authorities have they're priorities all wrong.

THATS THE POINT IM TRYING TO MAKE !!!

i dont have a small plate so im not whinging about it just saying why i have no respect for the people talking bollox about small plates being a safety issue whens its all down to fines and targets. if it was safety why didnt the guy get done for his tyre, andy i know he didnt as he was parked next to me, he found it amusing but sad at the same time, he would have understood a ticket for the tyre but not his plate

" I have been done myself in the past for small plates and termis etc and had to take it on the chin because its the law. However I was almost arrested one time as I was getting a ticket for the termis as a couple of nights earlier I had disturbed two intruders in my house and chased them away (I was well prepared lets just leave it at that!) The police took an hour to come and phoned back for directions twice! I only live less than a mile from the police station. I argued with the 5! police men stopping bikes for small plates etc about where were you when I had 2 men breaking into my house etc etc and was warned I would be arrested if I continued in such a manner. Not good public relations? "

another fine example of the great police force we have to rely on. my bike got stolen a few years ago,i reported it then 3 weeks later someone turned upto take the details. makes it worth while paying my taxes
Old 29-Apr-2006, 15:10
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
I probably was talking bo*****s ( I have a standard to keep up you know ) but not in the context of a safety issue. I suppose one reason people fit small plates ( Other than to look good ) is so there is less likelyhood of a witness being able to get the registration number when the rider is in hooligan mode.

That's probably where the police come from. BUT as ariel said, why don't the police stop the car owners with truly blatant alterations to their plates. That has become one of my pet hates. I'm sometimes tempted to photograph the plates and send the photo to the DVLA as some are almost unrecognisable. God, how sad is that?
Old 29-Apr-2006, 15:25
Big Twin

I forgot to mention that when I was having my details taken by the police for the Termis a whole gaggle of TVRs Caterham etc came through the same village (must have been an owners club run out) and it was LOUD! I remember having to pause my conversation with the police for a couple of minutes till they passed. Did they pull a single car to check over? What do you think!
Old 29-Apr-2006, 15:44
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally posted by zaker
Does anyone know if pc plod are out in force this bank holiday picking on bikers again ?

They were easter bank holiday, pulling every biker for a routine check, exhausts, small plates etc in Matlock Bath.

Quite possibly. Stay off the A6 and head in to Matlock then on to Matlock bath ... just watch the speed camera between the 2.

I've found it best to head in to Matlock via A615 ... Wessington / Tansley etc. Not many police along this route and not many places they can set up a spot check pull in area.
Old 29-Apr-2006, 16:00
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I know youve caught me..............but i want to come up with some cock and bull story to get away with it!...........and in any case, instead of getting me, why dont you go and get them instead!!!