Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jun-2003, 12:02
Big Twin

Power Commander

Just to say anyone who has a 998 HAS to get one of these! Wasnt hard to install even for me (even though I managed to cross-thread the petrol tank mount DOH )
I loaded the termi slip on map with restrictors removed and the difference to the stock fuelling is awesome! Wheelies in 2nd are far easier, first gear is actually usable round corners now as the fuelling is so smooth.
I paid 170 including P&P from the US, theres a guy selling them I can put you in touch with if anyone is interested.
In my opinion its much better than the DP ECU because its much more adjustable (can even offset the rear cylinder map ie make it richer)

[Edited on 22-6-2003 by DJTera]
Old 22-Jun-2003, 13:16
Montjuic

I have a 2001 996 bip with remus grand prix cans on. I'm having ducati put in their £35 chip which they say I should do to get the best from the engin and cans. Does the power commander do the same job? I just want it to run nicely, I'm not bothered about adjusting it for different conditionds once it's set up.

Is it just a plug in and switch on??

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 22-Jun-2003, 13:20
Big Twin

The problem with the DP chip is that its preprogrammed with a fuel map that "should" work, only problem is it is a general map, and you can't alter it, so if you get a flat spot somewhere (and most do!) you're pretty much screwed.
Power commander lets you adjust the map to suit your bike, so you can have a map for best economy, best power, riding in the wet etc. Not to mention the looks you get when you plug a laptop pc into your duke and start messing about!

But the best thing is the knight rider style leds moving up and down when you switch the ignition on

They move up and down when you blip the throttle and the engines running too, trick or what!

Its pretty simple to install, the only thing that takes time is working out the neatest way of routing the cables (anal i know), it uses stock style connectors and you dont have to cut any wires etc

[Edited on 22-6-2003 by DJTera]
Old 22-Jun-2003, 13:33
Montjuic

How do you know when it's set up properly. I'm no tuner but is it really that simple; connect up,plug in laptop, select program, disconnect and away you go. Does disc come with unit? How do you know that your particular engine is running at it's best just ticking over in the garage. Does it need to go a dyno to be checked. AND what happens if everything goes tits up.

Sorry to play devils advocate, I really would prefer to fit one but when it comes to electronics I am very cautious. Mechanicals fine but electronis! It's all black magic to me!!

Cheers
PS where did you get it ?£170 is cheap, I though they were getting on for about £300
Old 22-Jun-2003, 13:44
Big Twin

Well put it this way, my bike ran like sh*t before, as I had put sil-motor race cans on and 998 doesnt uses "chips" you need to buy a whole new ECU from Ducati.
It would cut out in traffic, spit thru the airbox constantly, and was very snatchy in first.
I got the map for 45mm slipons and intake restrictors removed. Took it out for a spin yesterday, ran fine all the way up to redline. Now, I'm not saying its 100% optimised for my bike (ie not getting max power possible) but it doesnt have any flatspots whatsoever now.
I will take it to the dyno, but just for a power run as i want to compare it to the run I did a while back.
For about 120 quid HM Racing (they know their stuff) will make you a map from scratch just for your bike, using not only the dynojet gas analyser but also their 4-gas analyser too, but I'm saving to buy a 54mm system before I spend money on a custom map!
Theres a guy on ebay selling PC3s for ALL bikes even the 749/999, he's a nice guy and one of the few who dont take the p*ss with P&P.

I reckon it was worth it just to be able to use first gear in slow corners, perfect for crossing it up on the exit
Old 22-Jun-2003, 19:30
Dibble

HM Racing in Orpington?

Good boys them... used em for dynoing before and Perry set my 996 suspension up ...
Old 23-Jun-2003, 07:56
Montjuic

DJ

I have a PC3 on my 998s Together with Akropovic slip ons and an in box filter I am making 136 HP and 76 ftlbs at the rear wheel. The torque curve is wonderful, especially as the 998s has a terible flat spot at 4k.

As well as the extra power everywhere, the low end is so much smoother which makes the bike much easier to ride fast, the mid range is so strong it chews up the side of the tyres when I get the power down out of bends. But then again it was really easy to ride back to Switzerland - even relaxing?

The guys at dynojet made me a map when at the IOM - free of charge!! I will post the dyno chart - very impressed
Old 23-Jun-2003, 09:49
500SD

i'm interested in a PC3.
Just got mine back from a 6k service and had a pipercross air filter put on and it is now really 'snatchy' in 1st!

I had mine dyno'd before with just the race termi's and it made 139rwhp with about 77ft.lb but i dont think it is running as strong as before. Going to try and get it dyno'd this week to see what/were the differences are.

[Edited on 23-6-2003 by chillo]
Old 23-Jun-2003, 10:12
Big Twin

Lucky gits, when I took my standard 998 to the dyno after 1200 miles it was only putting out 116, both power and torque curves were really smooth, which is probably more important...

I'm planning to fit the airbox filter and a 54mm system next month, I'm hoping for at least 122 with a custom map!
Old 23-Jun-2003, 15:21
Montjuic

Here is the dyno for a 998s with PC and slip ons. 135.6 hp, 75.9 ft lbs and a flat curve. Thx again to the boys at Power Commander