Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Feb-2006, 17:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
you cant use avgas for racing - rule book states commercially available for retail (or words to that effect) and i dont think the octane is over 100 for road race (but i could be wrong)

Avgas & similar are not good for your road bike either - we've used it on the drag cars (better to be a top fueller eh?)
but that is when AK (& gang) can strip & rebuild after most runs.

C
Old 03-Feb-2006, 17:52
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
im going to try something revolutionary im going to " twist the throttle " more.....maybe even brake later or EVEN carry more cornerspeed.....

guess u race gods that have ridden to the edge of your abilty are looking now at the weakness in your bike for that extra advantage...........,.....
Old 03-Feb-2006, 17:53
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
My mate in california nearly fell over when I said I was now using 97 octane not 95, he can struggle to find the minimum required to run his merc. 93.
In texas he says it can go down in to the mid 80's in octane, that why they all run big engines to get power, because the fuel is crap.
Old 03-Feb-2006, 17:53
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
1.5 Fuel

All engines must function on normal unleaded fuel available from normal filling stations open to the general public. The use of any octane boosting or other additives, is strictly forbidden.
Old 03-Feb-2006, 17:54
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Tesco's is normal enough
Old 03-Feb-2006, 17:54
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
im going to try something revolutionary im going to " twist the throttle " more.....maybe even brake later or EVEN carry more cornerspeed.....

guess u race gods that have ridden to the edge of your abilty are looking now at the weakness in your bike for that extra advantage...........,.....

Why do you have a dynojet kit and race exhausts, it would have been cheaper to twist the throttle " more.....maybe even brake later or EVEN carry more cornerspeed.....
Old 03-Feb-2006, 17:59
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
here we go....fight fight fight.
Old 03-Feb-2006, 18:03
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally posted by couchcommando
Quote:
Originally posted by fil2

Why do you have a dynojet kit and race exhausts, it would have been cheaper to twist the throttle " more.....maybe even brake later or EVEN carry more cornerspeed.....

slightly different....but then again i did not expect a moderate reply from a race god............

one day i will attain the dizzy heights of being able to worry about spark plugs and fuel types..till then i will concentrate on my riding.............. :P

In your defence you do need every advantage you can get in this cheap race series............
Old 03-Feb-2006, 18:05
Ducati Meccanica

Not slightly different at all, you are asking why carry out mods when you can ride harder ?
By this logic no mods should be allowed until you can ride a standard bike at 100%......there is no one in this series that can ride a bike at 100% so no mods would get done !
Old 04-Feb-2006, 10:48
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
For those who either a/ can't be bothered or b/ don't understand Shazzam's posting let me make it very simple.
The higher the octain rating the SLOWER the fuel burns-high octain fuel is a waste of time unless you have the compression to make use of it-in fact it will give you lower performance since it won't burn quickly enough. AK's top fueller would be using horrendous compression ratio's hence the need for high octain fuel. My TZ runs on Avgas-but it uses a 16:1 compression ratio............enough said?
Also as has been pointed out Avgas/race fuel/additives etc are specifically excluded from the rules-as long as you can buy it in a standard petrol station-and it's unleaded-that's fine. I put the last bit about being unleaded in since you are not able to buy leaded fuel, or even lead replacement petrol any more apart from a a very few select stations which keep it for 'historic vehicles'.
So avgas will give you no advantage unless you are running really high compression-but then if you were doing that you'd be outside of the rules anyway-catch 22!

John